Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

That’s fine. You have problems I would assert because of an inability to read words and ascertain what they mean. You read between the lines, you extrapolate, you consider what the writer really means and lose sight of what they actually wrote.
So your point is literally nothing more than the tautology that if people vote for a party then that party represents them? I mean, it’s true but so what?

Nope I never wrote that or anything like it.

Read my posts again perhaps.
You know, I don’t think I’ll bother. What would be the point? You clearly have no interest in actually engaging with any discussion based on it.

Hamas are not illegitimate. They were elected and retain the support of a lot of Palestinians and others in the middle east and beyond.
But I don’t know what to do with that information. The same is true for the Tories here but that doesn’t mean I’d want people to judge me by it. So, like I say, so what?

No, I don't at all of course, but people claiming Hamas are 'legitimate' as they were voted in some way does lead down that path for some, and it's not without some level of truth to it, the complicating factors are what that might mean in the reality of the situation, if anything.

Again, probably something some elements of the Israeli State and Hamas both agree on, in that Hamas represents a huge body of Palestinians.
I wonder to what extent that support comes from a case of if not Hamas who? Hamas were elected originally because they offered resistance and social programmes that other parties were not. How are the Palestinian Authorirty doing on the west bank? How is the peace process working out? A shit present with expanding settlements not making the future look any brighter. With Hamas having eliminated a lot of opposition in Gaza further limiting their options where else do they turn? It would be interesting to get some honest detailed Gazan perspectives on what happened Saturday week. Do they support the attack? The atrocities? Do they partake in denial? What do they think resistance should look like? Should it be armed? Who should it target? What do they think of Hamas?

Following that line of argument mean lead some to say that the some of the people of Gaza are in some way responsible for Hamas's attack then.

Following that line of arguement best of luck to 'some' identifying those who voted for Gaza in the last election in 2006 to collectively punish them

Following that line of arguement best of luck to 'some' identifying those who voted for Gaza in the last election in 2006 to collectively punish them

Well that's to some extent what they're doing now isn't it? I think Hamas left the Israeli State no other real options tbh, of course they were going to do something like this.

These families are having trauma heaped upon trauma.

A man whose son was killed by Israeli forces 23 years ago is now mourning family members including two of his brothers following strikes on Gaza.

Article archived from Metro link here.

Jamal al-Durrah was attempting to shelter his 12 year old child Muhammad from gunfire as they crouched against a wall in 2000, but the boy was killed.

from BBC news 2/10/2000:
[F]ootage shows the boy's father, Jamal al-Durrah, waving desperately to Israeli troops, shouting: "Don't shoot". But the terrified boy is hit by four bullets, and collapses in his father's arms.

An ambulance driver who tried to rescue the boy and his father was also killed, and a second ambulance driver was wounded.

from Jacobin 16/10/2023:
Gaza has become a massive graveyard where cemeteries have rapidly filled up. Mourning families struggle to bury their dead in informal graveyards dug in empty lots under relentless air strikes and an intensifying siege. Many end up in mass graves. Others are being kept in ice cream trucks. One thousand bodies remain buried under rubble.

Israel Has Killed 6 Hamas Leaders in Gaza. It’s Killed More Than 800 Children.

Israel and the MSM are jumping on every celebrity who posts anything other than their official line. Stomping on any kind of independent thought. Seems counter-productive to me, but they're devoting an awful lot of time and energy to it so they obviously think it's important:

Can you not change my words so it makes me look like I said something I didn't please. You can edit that in another way.

Well that's to some extent what they're doing now isn't it? I think Hamas left the Israeli State no other real options tbh, of course they were going to do something like this.

If you are arguing that the Israeli Sate is collectively punishing residents in Gaza I agree. If you are arguing that the Israeli state as a state doesn't have any other option then I disagree.
If you are arguing that the precise nature of the Israel state means it doesn't have any other options then that's a more interesting discussion.

Slightly more positive news ( if true) is that there are some reports, mainly from Shehab Khan at ITV , that I will summarise.

" the Labour leadership arranged an urgent meeting with council leaders last night about the party’s messaging on Gaza amid fears of pending resignationsAt the heated meeting David Lammy and Keir Starmer’s chief of staff Sue Gray were told they only have days to act....
Lammy and Gray spoke to council leaders who demanded Starmer rows back on previous interview comments about potential war crimes in Gaza and has a firmer stance on condemning war crimes....
They also demanded that councillors should not be stopped from attending Palestine demonstrations - they were particularly aggrieved by the messages they were sent on the weekend, which I revealed earlier.....
Sue Gray directed council leaders to what Starmer said in the Commons yesterday to try and calm things down but many said it wasn’t enough....
One council leader, who says they have more than a dozen councillors threatening to resign, demanded something is done to appease very unhappy councillors asap...
One source described the entire meeting as a ‘total mess’ while another said they were shocked by how desperate some council leaders were - ‘situation must be worse than we think, they’re convinced they’re losing local support’

MickiQ

Last edited:
If you are arguing that the Israeli Sate is collectively punishing residents in Gaza I agree. If you are arguing that the Israeli state as a state doesn't have any other option then I disagree.
If you are arguing that the precise nature of the Israel state means it doesn't have any other options then that's a more interesting discussion.

Yeah mostly the later, it in its current form with the history (recent and less so) it had no other realistic options. They could of course have done nothing, or engaged in some limited strikes against Hamas, but politically that would have been an impossible position for the government to pursue and might have longer term threatened the existence of Israel. And once a course of 'total war' has been started upon bombing Gaza, with the calls for civilians to leave, was an entirely logical path to take. To bomb without any call for evacuation would have been worse.

Back
Top Bottom