Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

Yes I don't think the Americans could tolerate a full on genocide with their network of alliances with various Arab states including especially Saudi Arabia. I wasn't sure if they could rein the Israelis in. I don't think Biden+Blinken were sure either.

Israel has said it will allow aid in.

[Difficult to link to these crucial updates as they're in live streams on BBC & Al Jazeera.]

Blinken mentioned it in a press conference five hours ago:

"To that end, today, and at our request, the United States and Israel have agreed to develop a plan that will enable humanitarian aid from donor nations and multilateral organizations to reach civilians in Gaza – and them alone – including the possibility of creating areas to help keep civilians our of harm’s way. It is critical that aid begin flowing into Gaza as soon as possible."

"To that end, today, and at our request, the United States and Israel have agreed to develop a plan that will enable humanitarian aid from donor nations and multilateral organizations to reach civilians in Gaza – and them alone – including the possibility of creating areas to help keep civilians our of harm’s way."

I would not be surprised if the plan for "areas to keep civilians out of harm's way" and distribute humanitarian aid involved relocating people to the southern half of the southern half of Gaza

Yes I don't think the Americans could tolerate a full on genocide with their network of alliances with various Arab states including especially Saudi Arabia. I wasn't sure if they could rein the Israelis in. I don't think Biden+Blinken were sure either.

I would say that Biden going to Israel is the US parking it's tanks on Netanyahu's lawn.

The US does not want this escalating, it's going to put enormous pressure on Qatar to put Hamas on a short leash, and to see what can be done to change its leadership (I don't see Israel being emotionally able to live alongside the current Hamas set-up, and can see why), and I think that Biden will also be acting as a conduit for some form of political change in Israel.

It's an interesting lesson in power - that power only comes through engagement, and that for all the talk of China, or KSA, or Iran, when the US president comes to town, and parks two US Navy carrier battle groups on your beach, it's time to sit quietly and speak when spoken to....

I would say that Biden going to Israel is the US parking it's tanks on Netanyahu's lawn.

The US does not want this escalating, it's going to put enormous pressure on Qatar to put Hamas on a short leash, and to see what can be done to change its leadership (I don't see Israel being emotionally able to live alongside the current Hamas set-up, and can see why), and I think that Biden will also be acting as a conduit for some form of political change in Israel.

It's an interesting lesson in power - that power only comes through engagement, and that for all the talk of China, or KSA, or Iran, when the US president comes to town, and parks two US Navy carrier battle groups on your beach, it's time to sit quietly and speak when spoken to....

I really don't think the US was threatening Israel with it's aircraft carrier, that's there to back Israel if Hizbollah and/or Iran attacks. More likely they were threatening to withdraw military support.

I don't want to distract to British politics too much, but Aaron Bastani made an interesting point on Novara Live last night (amongst his moral drivel) that the Tories are probably not as bad as Labour on foreign policy and certainly allow more dissent among their MPs. Good blog post from Phil Burton-Cartledge here on Labour imperialism as well.

shawn.png

Wallace Shawn joined protesters outside the White House on Monday

"I don’t really believe in revenge, and that’s what this is. Personally, I don’t really believe in massacring any innocent people,” he told the D.C. crowd ... “Obviously, like anyone who is Jewish, millions of my relatives have been massacred. You would think that would teach everybody from that background that this is a tragedy that should be avoided and hatred against particular groups is wrong. Many people don’t seem to have picked that up.”

Especially Saudi Arabia!

The Saudis and Israelis are very keen in being able to collaborate. The Israeli government for domestic purposes need to be seen to do something in reaction to the attack but that won't stand in the way of longer term objectives.

...thats the idea no doubt but it will be interesting to try and glean what effect Biden has on Netanyahu and his fascistic mob. If as you say Biden is "conduit for some form of political change" then all the more reason his impact will be negligible. Netanyahu is a fundamentalist and this likely his last big play on the political stage...little reason for him to sit quietly and speak when spoken to

...thats the idea no doubt but it will be interesting to try and glean what effect Biden has on Netanyahu and his fascistic mob. If as you say Biden is "conduit for some form of political change" then all the more reason his impact will be negligible. Netanyahu is a fundamentalist and this likely his last big play on the political stage...little reason for him to sit quietly and speak when spoken to

I'm not convinced Biden would be that devastated if Netanyahu fell under the bus that Biden will might be driving...

Back
Top Bottom