Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2011

Do they not use the access gate round the side? We used to stumble in and out of there with crates of beer last time i worked at reading.

Needless to say i wont work there again, full of cunts that fest.

You are correct as crew normally enter via the Gate that is on your right if you are facing the main stage { could be called something like Gate D/Gate E } but that gets you into the arena - we were working in the Cold Beer Amnesty Bar { outside the arena which I think is called Gate I } which means entering via that gate and then walking straight out of the arena via the gate the normal ticket holders enter by - we got to the Amnesty Bar which is really just a huge fridge truck hidden behind the bar http://www.wbc-team.co.uk/image12.html
to discover the truck key was missing so without the key we could not open up - it was as we were trying to get to one of the arena bars to track the key down that we had to re enter via the ticket holders gate.

Our campsite is not where all the other crews camp so we are shuttled in by minibus so we had no option but to enter via Gate D/Gate E and then walk straight out again.

I have to admit Reading is not my favourite either although for different reasons - its where we come across jokers trying to use fake ID or jokers running off with drinks - when I am working I get customers to pay up front before I hand them any bevy.

It was while working at the Cold Beer Amnesty Bar did I spot that Beer Traders were attempting to swap their warm cheap beer in bulk - I soon chased them off - that bar is supposed to be for ticket holders not fly by night jokers selling in bulk without a licence.

I also discovered that Carling were dumping the cans swapped over - the Carling rep tried to claim it was all sorted out but this is complete rubbish as it would have cost them a lot more money than any possible profit by selling them - a ticket holder could swap any brand and in any condition and there was loads that were handed in that had expired sell by dates. { some were dated ' sell by 1995 ' so ten years out of date }

The bar was a good laugh working in even although I did get death threats from the Beer Traders - its easy to make a threat its more difficult carrying one out.

You are correct as crew normally enter via the Gate that is on your right if you are facing the main stage { could be called something like Gate D/Gate E } but that gets you into the arena - we were working in the Cold Beer Amnesty Bar { outside the arena which I think is called Gate I } which means entering via that gate and then walking straight out of the arena via the gate the normal ticket holders enter by - we got to the Amnesty Bar which is really just a huge fridge truck hidden behind the bar http://www.wbc-team.co.uk/image12.html
to discover the truck key was missing so without the key we could not open up - it was as we were trying to get to one of the arena bars to track the key down that we had to re enter via the ticket holders gate.

Our campsite is not where all the other crews camp so we are shuttled in by minibus so we had no option but to enter via Gate D/Gate E and then walk straight out again.

I have to admit Reading is not my favourite either although for different reasons - its where we come across jokers trying to use fake ID or jokers running off with drinks - when I am working I get customers to pay up front before I hand them any bevy.

It was while working at the Cold Beer Amnesty Bar did I spot that Beer Traders were attempting to swap their warm cheap beer in bulk - I soon chased them off - that bar is supposed to be for ticket holders not fly by night jokers selling in bulk without a licence.

I also discovered that Carling were dumping the cans swapped over - the Carling rep tried to claim it was all sorted out but this is complete rubbish as it would have cost them a lot more money than any possible profit by selling them - a ticket holder could swap any brand and in any condition and there was loads that were handed in that had expired sell by dates. { some were dated ' sell by 1995 ' so ten years out of date }

The bar was a good laugh working in even although I did get death threats from the Beer Traders - its easy to make a threat its more difficult carrying one out.

Its just all a bit, mean fiddlerish for me tbh. ;)

There's an brief chat with Emily on the official site... looks like Leftfield (aka "The" Leftfield) is going back to it's old spot.

Good to see politics & activism back in the middle of the festival.

There's an brief chat with Emily on the official site... looks like Leftfield (aka "The" Leftfield) is going back to it's old spot.

Good to see politics & activism back in the middle of the festival.

D'ya think Nick Clegg will turn up this year? :hmm:

He was meant to be there last year, or was billed as being there anyway, but seems he didn't make it in the end. He was speaking up at speaker's corner the year before, and got a standing ovation from the packed tent at the end.

How times change.

Applying to work Green Police (with recycling as a back up), got some (scary) passport photos sorted today so I just need to get the cheque/form off and sort out what training day I can do.

Well, really hope they still need people anyway *big fingers crossed* i reckon i'd be alreeet, some of the job is stuff i might well do anyway, and it looks like fun too :)

Not massively impressed with WBC and wont be working for them again, I think they take the piss a bit and don't treat people fantastically.

Possibly. I'd prefer to put my fingers in my ears and go la la la for the bit where that's said though.

I think I might have seen 2 or 3 headliners in all my times at Glastonbury, but even so that's a pretty grim selection. On the plus side, there's no McCartney.

She's marginally less embarrassing at dancing than certain other traditional headliners too. I'm looking on the bright side here.

It's the stench of Bono and Martin that hangs more heavily tbh. It's such a tiny part of the bill, albeit the bit you can most easily catch up on the beeb afterwards, that it doesn't really impact my festival that much.

Not massively impressed with WBC and wont be working for them again, I think they take the piss a bit and don't treat people fantastically.

Sorry to hear that - How many years were you working for the WBC ?

So what was the problem ?

Its true that the WBC that I joined in 1989 is vastly different than what it is today and I have seen many changes.

Most Team organisers tend to focus on the positive side of things rather than balancing it up with the negative parts but it saves a lot of hassle further down the line that volunteers know exactly what is expected of them.

I have lost count how many times I have overheard a new volunteer Demanding a early shift not fully appreciating that not everyone can have a early shift { in theory over a season it should even itself out provided a team works at most events }

The biggest change was that in the old days a Team would work for the same Tent Manager and managers year after year so that everyone would get used to each other which was the key factor how the bars ran smoothly.

SLS had a similar random drug searching policy of workers tents, where tent numbers were just picked out at random and gone through with a fine tooth comb. Last year this included a girl being pulled out of her tent, naked at 5am :(

I appreciate that one of the major security companies at Glasto can't be seen to have fucked employees but really, there are better ways to do stuff, eh?

Deep joy! What a lovely festival!

i have been trying to avoid this thread as i am still eagerly awaiting ah email from the wbc with details on submitting a team again this year, should be there again. glasto is the one festival i would break out in a sweat if i thought i was missing it.

any idea when the team leaders should expect a mailing from the wbc? early i know, but its nice to know that glasto is nailed. :)

I saw Beyonce about a year ago at the O2 and she was incredible. She'll make U2 and Coldplay look like a bunch of amateurs jamming in the back room of a pub (not that that is particularly hard, mind).

Spotted this on a different message board so you never know there may be someone here who would like the job.

Job No:BMC/94807
Employer Reference: Glastonbury - Administrator
Wage £7.00 to £7.50 Per Hour
Hours Mon-Fri 11 hours per day - Will include some weekends
Location SHEPTON MALLET, Somerset B1
Duration Temporary

This vacancy is being advertised on behalf of Approach Personnel who are operating as an employment business. An exciting opportunity has arisen for a site administrator to work at one of Europe's biggest events. We are looking for a experienced administrator to work at Glastonbury 2011.

Work will commence on Monday 16th May and finish on Friday 29th July. . You will be required to work some weekends during this period and up to 11 hours per day Monday Friday. On-site accommodation is provided and is compulsory. Full Job description available on request. To apply please email your CV and references to Adam Innocent at Approach Personnel adam.innocent@approachpersonnel.co.uk before Friday 25th February, Interviews will commence wc 28th February 2011.

Good luck.

i have been trying to avoid this thread as i am still eagerly awaiting ah email from the wbc with details on submitting a team again this year, should be there again. glasto is the one festival i would break out in a sweat if i thought i was missing it.

any idea when the team leaders should expect a mailing from the wbc? early i know, but its nice to know that glasto is nailed. :)

I have sent you a PM to fill you in - it could be anytime now { it varies every year }

pootle said:
SLS had a similar random drug searching policy of workers tents, where tent numbers were just picked out at random and gone through with a fine tooth comb. Last year this included a girl being pulled out of her tent, naked at 5am

I appreciate that one of the major security companies at Glasto can't be seen to have fucked employees but really, there are better ways to do stuff, eh?

Deep joy! What a lovely festival!

Stop cherrypicking bad apples ;)

And see WBC-WORKER's earlier reply to the same post, nothing anywhere near like that happened in his encampment . We didn't see anything like that in ours either, suspect it's the same for Oxfam.

What pootle witnessed doesn't sound great at all and I'd be the first myself to think it was shit, but it's not representative.

Yeah...what William said. My experience has got way more to do with SLS than Glastonbury Inc.

But even having said that would work for them again if push came to shove. Most of the staff, Inc badged SIA types were ok, even some of the all in black, jeep types were nice to us on our nightshift. Like most things in life there will always be a couple of wankers ruining it for everyone else!

Queens Head to move to Oxylers

Q Magazine involvement reduced

Cocktail & Dreams not returning in 2011

GlastoEarth news story HERE

The one year I worked (2007) they were doing general searches at the gate on crew arriving on the Tuesday. I pretty much walked straight through but they did appear to be targeting the kids who were stewarding.

They do searches on the Sunday when I go in too, but it mostly seems to be just checking for people smuggling really. Some mates going in on the Saturday got properly turned over too apparently, but then they do both look really dodgy. They had a litre of whisky in a glass bottle too... :facepalm:

i got searched twice on the way in despite having a pass out wristband. luckily they never found nuffin. i never thought i'd be able to crack a joke to relieve the tension in a situation like that, but it seemed to put them at ease.

Back
Top Bottom