Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2007 pt1: the build-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tort said:
Can somebody explain to me why people feel the need to impose their own music on their fellow campers at events like Glasto where there is something going on 24 hours a day & people only really go back to their tents to catch a couple of hours kip before we do it to ourselves all over again. I just don't get it! :confused:

wednesday.

packing up on monday.

and cos we stumble back to the tents from the far corners of the festival and sit around the campfire for an hour or two jabbering excitedly about what we did to each other and need something to listen to. it's a music geek thing i think. never go anywhere without sounds.

Tort said:
Can somebody explain to me why people feel the need to impose their own music on their fellow campers at events like Glasto where there is something going on 24 hours a day & people only really go back to their tents to catch a couple of hours kip before we do it to ourselves all over again. I just don't get it! :confused:

BUT WAIT!!

I thought that 24hr soundsytems and all round party-hearty ness was what's been LOST from Glastonbury...

citydreams said:
Anyone got a waffle iron?

I thought the cocktail shaker was OTT, but a waffle iron... :eek:

I love cocktails and waffles, though – can Shirl and Citydreams be my neighbours? :cool:

Right.

Is it worth bringing tea making equipment?

I thought of bringing some for the first time, because it would save a fortune, but I'm not sure.

pros: we could have it for all the other festies too, once we've bought one. It's loads cheaper. You can have tea before you go anywhere.

Cons: lugging all that tea/sugar/cups/kettle etc about is a bit or an arse, when you can just go down the tiny tea tent.

so, verdicts?

lay off the tea making equipment, it'll onl;y slow you down. i stopped bringing any of that crap years ago.

1. you only end up throwing it away or carrying it home or spilling tea on your sleeping back.

2. going for the walk to find your morning cuppa gets you away from the social campfire and the endless spliffs that can comatose the foolhardy all morning.

Skim said:
You could always buy one when you get there if you don't have any time in the next five days :)

Not sure if the camping type stores will be up and running when we get there on Monday. I will just have to make time. Worst case scenario I will buy a shite one from Argos and exchange it for something slightly more sturdy when we arrive :cool:

bluestreak said:
lay off the tea making equipment, it'll onl;y slow you down. i stopped bringing any of that crap years ago.

1. you only end up throwing it away or carrying it home or spilling tea on your sleeping back.

2. going for the walk to find your morning cuppa gets you away from the social campfire and the endless spliffs that can comatose the foolhardy all morning.

Wise words.

I took some tea-making equipment last time and it just wasn't worth the effort for the two times I could actually be arsed to make a cuppa. And it's not just the gas you need, it's the cups and the spoons and the sugar... way to much effort. (Unless you really are a hardcore tea-drinker.)

nipsla said:
Not sure if the camping type stores will be up and running when we get there on Monday. I will just have to make time. Worst case scenario I will buy a shite one from Argos and exchange it for something slightly more sturdy when we arrive :cool:
Pfft. A shite one from argos did me fine for years. Just pitch it well :)

citydreams said:
I need a cup of tea to work out how to put my shoes on.

pah, it's GLASTONBURY *dances*, you don't need shoes!

but if you do bring tea making equipment, milk and one please guv :)

Skim said:
Wise words.

I took some tea-making equipment last time and it just wasn't worth the effort for the two times I could actually be arsed to make a cuppa. And it's not just the gas you need, it's the cups and the spoons and the sugar... way to much effort. (Unless you really are a hardcore tea-drinker.)

last year, for the first time, i really bothered with a little stove and pan set, some food, tea etc, and i'd never do without it again.. it's kinda convivial and comforting and enjoyable to make your own tea and your own breakfast. it saves money, too, and it's just a pleasure to do...

we were eating a wild mushroom risotto with parmesan, cannelini beans and veggie bangers for fuck all while others were paying 5 quid for a shit burger or some noodles :)

see, i used to subscribe that dub, and most festivals i'd agree, but at GLASTONBURY *dances* i find it's a pleasure to eat without ever having to resort to dirtburgers and burnt noodles.

bluestreak said:

This makes total sense.

But then you go and ruin it:

bluestreak said:
but if you do bring tea making equipment, milk and one please guv

see, tea is good.

well, just make sure you camp near someone with tea making equipment. up in the lime kiln there's a ratburger van which also sells tea that we find very useful in the morning. it's only a couple of minutes walk.

bluestreak said:
see, i used to subscribe that dub, and most festivals i'd agree, but at GLASTONBURY *dances* i find it's a pleasure to eat without ever having to resort to dirtburgers and burnt noodles.

yeh, but sometimes it's nice to get some respite from it all. i suppose this is from the POV of where we're going to be, which is an oasis of calm, so maybe it's a different story there

bluestreak said:

the problem being, over five days buying all your tea and food you're going to get through an absolute fucking fortune, and i haven't evenm mentioned beer yet, and I'm feeling a little bit on the skint side...

Stig said:
the problem being, over five days buying all your tea and food you're going to get through an absolute fucking fortune, and i haven't evenm mentioned beer yet, and I'm feeling a little bit on the skint side...

exactly - 15 quid down the supermarket translates into about 50 quids worth of food onsite and leaves more money for beer and drugs :)

Superape said:
Glastofestivalforecast update alert:

http://www.glastofestivalforecast.co.uk/

You won't like it :D

I liked it. :D

we are going to have a nice Festival. In fact, it's going to be bloody lovely & we can drink beer in the sun till we fall over & go very pink. Every so often there might be a rumble of thunder & a sharp shower but on the whole, by and large, in a manner of speaking and suchlike, we're going to fry in our stinking filth encrusted festival pants. True, it might change. The people with all the numbers might change their minds & make it rain again, but for now we can rejoice & start buying suncream. Don't worry if the forecast changes. As it gets closer to Glastonbury time, if it looks like it's going be bad, we'll just lie, because it will make you feel better & happy, and that's what we at Glastonbury Festival Forecast are all about.

Dubversion said:
last year, for the first time, i really bothered with a little stove and pan set, some food, tea etc, and i'd never do without it again.. it's kinda convivial and comforting and enjoyable to make your own tea and your own breakfast. it saves money, too, and it's just a pleasure to do...

we were eating a wild mushroom risotto with parmesan, cannelini beans and veggie bangers for fuck all while others were paying 5 quid for a shit burger or some noodles :)
Its the opposite way round for us this year - we've always brought food and a little cooker, but this is the first year that we're not both completely skint, so are going to enjoy not having to cook/carry food onto site. :)

Dubversion said:

Sorry, but the last thing I want to do at a festival is make a risotto. I want to be eating falafels crafted by barefoot healers, I want chai poured into my mouth by maidens wearing silken wings of Gaia. I ain't got time for... for... waffle irons! :mad:

Dubversion said:
yeh, but sometimes it's nice to get some respite from it all. i suppose this is from the POV of where we're going to be, which is an oasis of calm, so maybe it's a different story there

good call. these days i try and stay away from the tent as much as possible. i find that if i'm not careful my laziness gets the better of me and i waste too many hours smoking joints and waffling. i'd rather be out and about.

plus i don't eat much. one meal a day and a few bits of fruit that i'll bring with me is all i need, so i can absorb the expense.

oh god i'm so excited i think i'm going to cry. it's like christmas was when you were six!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom