Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2007 pt1: the build-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
sojourner said:
Hey felix - I got me whizaway today, have tried and tested it - it's FAB innit??:D

Brilliant bit of kit! The daughter isn't quite sure of hers yet - looks at it and goes 'Eeewwwwww' when I suggest she tests it out.

The youth of today :rolleyes: yadda yadda yadda..........

felixthecat said:
Brilliant bit of kit! The daughter isn't quite sure of hers yet - looks at it and goes 'Eeewwwwww' when I suggest she tests it out.

The youth of today :rolleyes: yadda yadda yadda..........
I have to confess, my girl wanted one, but I just know she'll try it once, hate it, and never use it again. So I didn't get her one :D Sod it, she only needs to wee once a day, I'm at it constantly! :oops: :D

Just ordered one of these on Ebay:

037201.jpg

Now to find a suitable truck/trolley for carting all the gear around. Mrs Llama has a bad back so I'll be doing all the carrying.

Thinking along the lines of one of these:-

417SC2A5SPL._AA280_.jpg

The Amazon "Customers who bought items like this also bought" list includes "Glastonbury Anthems" and "Music from Glastonbury the Movie" :D

Lazy Llama said:

417SC2A5SPL._AA280_.jpg

I bought one of those last time I went – they are just about impossible to drag through mud. The back wheels are tiny and it was too small so I had to hunch over while dragging it.

How about a wheelbarrow? It's a lot more sturdy...

Lazy Llama said:
Just ordered one of these on Ebay:

037201.jpg

Now to find a suitable truck/trolley for carting all the gear around. Mrs Llama has a bad back so I'll be doing all the carrying.

417SC2A5SPL._AA280_.jpg

The Amazon "Customers who bought items like this also bought" list includes "Glastonbury Anthems" and "Music from Glastonbury the Movie" :D

I'd be very wary of that trolley, definitely so in the 'flat' mode pictured. The wheels don't look big enough & they don't look pneumatic, so they'll get really battered by the glastonbury paths & it'll be much harder work pulling/pushing it than if you had a truck or trolley with proper bouncy wheels.

Hmmm.... as William will tell us, there's not going to be any mud this year :)

However, I suspect you're right about the non-pneumatic wheels. There are quite a few around with pneumatic wheels, but none that I've found with significantly larger wheels for horizontal use. Could end up just using a vertical-only one. A wheelbarrow probably wouldn't fit in the car, and I wouldn't have anywhere to put it at home anyway... The sack trucks don't take up much space.

Lazy Llama said:
Hmmm.... as William will tell us, there's not going to be any mud this year :)

However, I suspect you're right about the non-pneumatic wheels. There are quite a few around with pneumatic wheels, but none that I've found with significantly larger wheels for horizontal use. Could end up just using a vertical-only one. A wheelbarrow probably wouldn't fit in the car, and I wouldn't have anywhere to put it at home anyway... The sack trucks don't take up much space.
Mr V is determined to find an old pram at the tip, but if that fails, I think there are fold up wheelbarrows....

A reglar sack truck with big pneumatic tyres is the way to go. I picked up a good tip on TOS - pack your truck up and then wrap it with clingfilm and voila! Everything stays in place! I've had enough accidents with bungee cords over the years so I will be trying this out this time.

moose said:
I'm guessing he's on his way back from the wilds of scotland, after getting in the first festival of the year.

and a bloody good festival it was too :D

Great practice for Glasto as we wallowed in quite a lot of mud :)

Superape said:
Ladies & gentlemen, and William, it gives me great pleasure to unveil what we believe to be the first detailed forecast of the weather for Glastonbury Festival 2007, with many & huge thanks to the lovely people at Netweather.

You won't like it much, but it is neither brilliant nor disastrous, and is also subject to some considerable change given that the festival is still just over a month away.

If you can't be bothered to wade through Glasto Festival Forecast, just think "meh" followed by "optimistic wavy hand gesture" followed by "meh".

As forecasts go, thats pretty 'meh', yeah ... :( ... 15C is RUBBISH for any month later than March.
Especially :( is the idea of a lot of rain before the festival (contradicted below though??) -- muddy site ....

But I'm working on the time honoured principle of 'just ignoring it until it goes away and is replaced by a better prospect' :D

Latest BBC 4 week prospect (updated yesterday, Monday) is a lot more positive UP UNTIL the 17th June ...

I know those BBC ones aren't much cop, but .... <crosses fingers for it to stay like that beyond the 17th ... >

if its not baking hot many of us would be a lot happier :)

*continues to break in new para-boots*

aqua said:
if its not baking hot many of us would be a lot happier :)

*continues to break in new para-boots*

Not really the point ... I know a lot don't enjoy the heat, but plenty of us (heatlovers or not) really hate rain and mud, so if a dry mudfree site comes at the 'expense' ;) of 25C plus temps**, then so be it ... it's late June ... rubbish temps, and 15C is distinctly chilly, usually mean rubbish weather ...

**None too likely just now, admittedly :(

You can shelter from the heat but you can't sit down in the mud! :mad:

That forecast is so 'meh' that I still strongly expect improvements to it ... we're OWED a completely dry Glasto for the first time since 1995. Yes folks, there's been rain at some point, to some degree, at every Glastonbury since then ...

no will, you can't shelter from the heat on site - trust me, I try every fucking year

as for a completely rain free glasto you're just being too optomistic that you don't live in the UK :p

madamv said:
Mr V is determined to find an old pram at the tip, but if that fails, I think there are fold up wheelbarrows....
there's a type that have a large ball wheel and a couple of handles with a net between them, I think they fold. I only post this so that someone else can tell you what they're called and where to get one.:oops:

William of Walworth said:
That forecast is so 'meh' that I still strongly expect improvements to it ... we're OWED a completely dry Glasto for the first time since 1995. Yes folks, there's been rain at some point, to some degree, at every Glastonbury since then ...

Yup. I remember dancing to Rage Against the Machine with my black bin liner on to protect me from the showers.

It had stopped for The Levellers though :D :D ;) :cool:

aqua said:
no will, you can't shelter from the heat on site - trust me, I try every fucking year

as for a completely rain free glasto you're just being too optomistic that you don't live in the UK :p

The year I went pregnant, I took a large umberella with me. It worked a treat as a sun shade.

Maybe a laydee stylee parasol?

parasol.gif

Not really the point ... I know a lot don't enjoy the heat, but plenty of us (heatlovers or not) really hate rain and mud, so if a dry mudfree site comes at the 'expense' ;) of 25C plus temps**, then so be it ... it's late June ... rubbish temps, and 15C is distinctly chilly, usually mean rubbish weather ...

Fear not William. I'll be going over the charts on a regular basis over the next few weeks & trying to nail down something a bit more optimistic.

Early days, early days etc etc :D

2000 was rain free for the festival proper. Baking hot actually.

But if you think about it, there was. It was 35 degrees for all the festival days last year.

Bring on 35 degrees again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom