Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2005

J77

residing
It's not too early is it :oops:

Not to kick anything off... but I did hear on the radio (Bristol) the other day something about the first stage of getting the 2005 license.

I guess the news is:

:D There is every intention of having a Glastonbury 2005 :D

Still, there was probably no doubt what with the profits of Mean Fiddler being in the equation - even tho' they said on the radio that Eavis would like a rest year if he could.

Looking forward to whatever ticket fiasco will happen next Spring... :(

Chin-up tho' :)

<points at J77, laughs, mutters something about Norwich fans not knowing their football from their festi's, runs off, pissing meself!!!!>

souljacker said:
<points at J77, laughs, mutters something about Norwich fans not knowing their football from their festi's, runs off, pissing meself!!!!>
Did you see the effort I put into the post too...

boldness and everything...

pah.

DoUsAFavour said:
Yeah this year has to be a big one to satisfy us until 2006 :(

psst I'll be needing my blanket back before glastonbury - thats my official festival blanket :);)

They're getting busted for noise apparently (stop laughing if you saw anything after 11.30).

That awful McCartney's the culprit. I didn't go, but saw on HTV news recently his firework display during Live and Let Diiiiii-eee. Most impressive. Didn't notice it at the time 'cos I was skanking to Toots.

They had the compulsory interview with Pilton Resident, complaining. Jesus. It wasn't that late. Surely it's better (for them) now than it was even five years ago?

Aha! Having been several months late with the 2004 thread, I'm pleased to have spotted the 2005 one so early.

Not that I have anything constructive at this point to say.

Oh yes, the "green police" scheme was so popular last year that they're doubling the numbers next year.

DoUsAFavour said:
Yeah this year has to be a big one to satisfy us until 2006 :(

I take it you meant til 2007?

From what I'm picking up a gap year in 2006 is very likely, but not absolutely certain yet, if there's not agap in 2006 there will be for sure in 2007 I'd have thought.

J77 said:
Still, there was probably no doubt what with the profits of Mean Fiddler being in the equation - even tho' they said on the radio that Eavis would like a rest year if he could.

It's already pretty clear that plans are pretty much advanced for a fest in 2005, but as to when the gap year falls, it seems to me that Mean Fiddler won't have the final say by any means -- it's Michael Eavis' land, and Michael Eavus's decision ultimately when to have a rest.

We're due a gap around 2006 -- last gaps were 1991, 1996, 2001 so they have tended to happen every four or five years ...

One complication might be when the current Mean Fiddler contract expires. I can't remember just now whether thats 2005 or 2006, it might be 2006, so that might (?) lead to some pressure from the MF side to have another fest in 2006 .... will try and find more about this ...

Oh and by the way I do not agree with the main Glasto 2005 thread (if this is to be it) being confined to the Music forum right until next June -- perhaps until the New Year or until the licence confirmation, maybe it can get moved to General after that ...

corporate whore said:
They're getting busted for noise apparently (stop laughing if you saw anything after 11.30).

That awful McCartney's the culprit. I didn't go, but saw on HTV news recently his firework display during Live and Let Diiiiii-eee. Most impressive. Didn't notice it at the time 'cos I was skanking to Toots.

They had the compulsory interview with Pilton Resident, complaining. Jesus. It wasn't that late. Surely it's better (for them) now than it was even five years ago?

Corporate -- from elements of the reports posted in the above link, Mendip District Council were considering prosecuting Michael Eavis/GFL Ltd. for noise violations, but have you heard anything recently on HTV News to confirm that they're going ahead with that?

I wonder who that Pilton Resident was -- not Anne Goode I hope -- she's the nutter with the 15 foot crucifix in her garden to brandish at all those evil Glasto pagans :D

I only discovered recently that she still lives in Pilton and still has the cross there ... I thought she'd moved away.

Here's an edited version of what I posted on efestivals :

me said:
there seem to be so many more hoops to be jumped through, stricter and stricter licence conditions, ever more astringent policing of any technical breach however minor. All this Michael and the organisers have to face, all the time, and they do a bloody good job!!

But I'm actually fairly confident that the clearly ultra-professional setup the Festival now boasts can be demonstrated to even the fussiest of Council bod or Police type or other official, and to any (half way reasonable) resident. Or (in worst case scenario) to any magistrate!!

Remind them of what it was like in 2000 and the huge strides that have been made since then, and remind them that co-operation between the Festival and all the relevant regulators has worked

Even some of us old school festival veterans who regret a lot of the moves towards more commercial stuff and away from a full-on alternative feel, had no choice but to accept the compromises and we still appreciate the improvements in terms of safety, less crime, etc.

We know the score, we've had to accept change, we appreciate just how good Glasto still is today so I hope the authorities and locals realise that they have very very little cause for complaint. Look at the huge drops in crime figures for one, the virtual disappearance of dodgy characters round the village for another. Yet some residents are still complaining about the odd bit of noise! Well I remember just how noisy it was in 1994 ... even more so in the truly wild years mid eighties to early nineties so I'm told. Now is nothing by comparison.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. The noise 'problems' now, are utterly minor when put into perspective. Don't spoil our party to 'solve' such a tiny issue -- it's barely one week per year for f**ks sake, you've just had three months of peace and quiet, with nearly nine more to come, and with Festival organisers who listen and respond to genuine concerns, and with the prospect of a fallow year coming up in 2006 or 2007.

The Festival have got it broadly right IMO -- carry on neutralising the Nimbies and keep the party going!

Hope all the councillors remember to turn up to the appropriate meetings this time.

Doubt I'll be going. Unless I take it into my head to work or summat. Never been, can't be arsed with ticket hassle now.

i'd love to go again. the girl i met there this year and i have already said we'd go again. nothing like lanning ahead is there.

WoW - nice efest post.

No idea if the woman in question was she-of-the-giant-cross, but she had a distinct Midlands accent, and I therefore discounted her as someone who'd moved to Pilton with the sole purpose of bitchin' about the fest.

I may be wrong, but I love generalising. :)

Not seen anything other than the small report on HTV when I was in Somerset last week. Now I'm back in London :( but my Mum knows a man who works with Eavis/GFL and she's always slipping me gossip.

So between now and, erm, 9 months away, I'll keep my (mum's) ear to the ground.

Inabit.

No idea if the woman in question was she-of-the-giant-cross, but she had a distinct Midlands accent, and I therefore discounted her as someone who'd moved to Pilton with the sole purpose of bitchin' about the fest

A nutter indeed :D Not sure about where she's from originally but AFAIK she did move to the place next to Eavis's after the festival was established, so you're probably right about the bitchin', that or so she could be close to pray for all those tortured souls down in the valley (she used to hold prayer meetings during the weekend specifically for that purpose!)

On a slight tangent, I remember one year @ the solstice. A big gathering at the sacred space and there was some priest there waving insence around and praying (in amongst the drummers). I rememer two kids walking behind him shouting "Oi mate, why you wearing a dress?'... they turned out to be one of my mates kids :D

AFAIK Anne 'Goode' has now moved out. Her place is now occupied by the bloke who offers helicopter rides over the site :rolleyes:

I will most probably have exams that week, if they're all over by glastonbury then I will be there

Back
Top Bottom