Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2005

It's looking more and more likely that 2005 will be a fallow year. There are due to be some major changes at the top of Mean Fiddler with Melvin Benn no longer being in charge of festivals. MB was the license holder for the 2004 festival.

MB is not able to work with any Mean Fiddler clients for a year after he quits, and Mean Fiddler have their present contract ending soon. It is possible that 2005 will be a year off and MB will join Glastonbury Festivals Ltd and Mean Fiddler will be cut out of the equation entirely for 2006.

However, that could all be bollocks...

BOLLOCKS...

sorry, I couldn't resist

poului said:
I'm just going to the Glade Festival this time.

I reckon we might go to that, next year. I quote a tea stall holder at the Big Chill this year, who catered for that event - 'It was a bit full-on'

We are planning to be 'on tour' for as much as the summer as possible.

temp said:
It's looking more and more likely that 2005 will be a fallow year. There are due to be some major changes at the top of Mean Fiddler with Melvin Benn no longer being in charge of festivals. MB was the license holder for the 2004 festival.

MB is not able to work with any Mean Fiddler clients for a year after he quits, and Mean Fiddler have their present contract ending soon. It is possible that 2005 will be a year off and MB will join Glastonbury Festivals Ltd and Mean Fiddler will be cut out of the equation entirely for 2006.

However, that could all be bollocks...

BOLLOCKS...

sorry, I couldn't resist

That looks a bit speculative to be honest temp -- do you have any actual concrete sources to say that 2005 will be fallow, beyond theorising from the Mean Fiddler changes???

Remember that Vince Power had very little direct involvement in the running of Glastonbury Festivals -- he/MF had/has a financial stake of course, but the real organisational and (partly) booking power behind Michael Eavis's throne was and remains Melvin Benn. And it's Michael (plus the licencing authorities! see above) who will have the final say on whether it goes ahead or not, and we know he/GFL are actively courting acts for 2005 right now ... there's too many lineup rumours already starting to make me think they will all come to nothing.

There has been nothing generally on efestivals, or anywhere else I've seen, to say that 2005 will be fallow ...

Personally I think it will go ahead and that it will be 2006, or possibly 2007, that will be fallow.

pinkmonkey said:
I reckon we might go to that, next year. I quote a tea stall holder at the Big Chill this year, who catered for that event - 'It was a bit full-on'

We are planning to be 'on tour' for as much as the summer as possible.

Well, for the record, its debut this year was awesome - definitely the most enjoyable experience of my summer.

J77 said:
bbc say that U2 will not be headlining.

hoorah :oops:

<cannot resist a peep into any thread with "Glastonbury" in the title :p>

YAHEY!

I reckon Brian Wilson would be cool for the Sunday Fogey Spot, especially as "Smile" has recently been released.

I will try my utmost to go, but it will depend on tickets (Aload.crap still haven't upgraded their hardware), money and leave from work as I have me wedding next year.

William of Walworth said:
That looks a bit speculative to be honest temp -- do you have any actual concrete sources to say that 2005 will be fallow, beyond theorising from the Mean Fiddler changes???

Remember that Vince Power had very little direct involvement in the running of Glastonbury Festivals -- he/MF had/has a financial stake of course, but the real organisational and (partly) booking power behind Michael Eavis's throne was and remains Melvin Benn. And it's Michael (plus the licencing authorities! see above) who will have the final say on whether it goes ahead or not, and we know he/GFL are actively courting acts for 2005 right now ... there's too many lineup rumours already starting to make me think they will all come to nothing.

There has been nothing generally on efestivals, or anywhere else I've seen, to say that 2005 will be fallow ...

Personally I think it will go ahead and that it will be 2006, or possibly 2007, that will be fallow.

i think - judging by recent interviews i've read with Eavis and Power - that our festographer is bang on..

Cheers :)

Just a footnote on the MF/Power/Glastonbuty thing ... one outcome of the recent back and forth shenanigans at MF is that Melvin Benn has been restored to his old post as Festivals Director with particular responsibility for the the Festival's side of the Glastonbury licensing process ...

this all arises from some non-GLastonbury related boardroom shenanigans anyway, if i recall correctly. Power tried to step down, his replacement tried to oust Benn and fucked off all the shareholders so Power came back and kicked out his replacement and reinstated Benn...

that ski-loft would have been his, if it wasn't for those meddling kids ;)

Might show up, dunno, not really my kinda thing, never really get much out of it, not worth all the effort...

I'll probably wait to see what the line-up's like...

Lot cheaper just to sit in a field with a discman.

mumble... grumble... shouldn't be a Glasto thread this early... mumble.... grumble.... :p ;)

Oh god - every year now I say I won't go - too old etc etc.

BUT .....I just booked my annual trip to Greece to 'allow' for Glasto. :D

Better had happen in 2005 because I REALLY will be too old in '06/07.

Or will I? :D

Lord Camomile said:
Might show up, dunno, not really my kinda thing, never really get much out of it, not worth all the effort...

I'll probably wait to see what the line-up's like...

Lot cheaper just to sit in a field with a discman.

mumble... grumble... shouldn't be a Glasto thread this early... mumble.... grumble.... :p

pennimania said:
Oh god - every year now I say I won't go - too old etc etc.

BUT .....I just booked my annual trip to Greece to 'allow' for Glasto.

Better had happen in 2005 because I REALLY will be too old in '06/07.

Or will I

:D :D

<yawns> ... so I'll be seeing some of the usual suspects back again then!!

I'll have to see nearer the time but it's almost certainly gonna be too expensive for me this year, I think.

ok, folks:

it's DEFINITELY ON.. (Licence permitting, of course).

and there could be great news a) for reggae fans and b) for the People's Republic Of Disco

:D

After the news of John Peel's death today, there is talk of renaming the new bands tent in his honour... I can't think of a more fitting tribute.

Dubversion said:
and there could be great news a) for reggae fans and b) for [fans of] the People's Republic Of Disco

:D

ie me ... :) :)

Lets hope that John Peel Tent idea happens too ... I might even go there if it does ;) !!

He really knew properly what Glastonbury was about, he was around the first person I ever saw say in print, years ago, that you could spend all Glasto not seeing any bands, and still love it, and explaining why ...

jpglasto1970.jpg

Peel at Glastonbury, 1971 ...

What a great pic ...

There will be so many dedications to the great man this year :cool:

Wouldn't it be cool if Eavis booked loads of Peely's favourties.

There again, saw The Fall once - MES stood on his mike lead, pulling it out, and was too pissed to even realise :D

so The Undertones are to headline one night on the John Peel Stage next year. appropriate, but i bet they're rubbish ;)

Back
Top Bottom