Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fracking - the general discussion.

The violence of the 'quakes from fracking continues to increase - which will happen, because of the very process itself.

Time to stop, "we" can't be that desperate for shale gas, surely ?

The violence of the 'quakes from fracking continues to increase - which will happen, because of the very process itself.

Time to stop, "we" can't be that desperate for shale gas, surely ?
Even the Victorians, pioneers of industry of all kinds, had given up on shale gas and oil as a viable industry. Parts of Scotland, mainly central belt, are littered with the remains of this industry.

Even the Victorians, pioneers of industry of all kinds, had given up on shale gas and oil as a viable industry.
That's only because they didn't have the engineering technology to find and extract it in commercially viable quantities. Had that been developed it would have been all systems go.

That's only because they didn't have the engineering technology to find and extract it in commercially viable quantities. Had that been developed it would have been all systems go.
Plentiful Coal, and the money that could be made from mining it probably more relevant, tbh.

Sure I read somewhere, that the mop haired over privileged cunt that is PM, is going to move the goal posts regarding seismic readings - ie can be higher before frack suspension.

Also it has been revealed that well-connected frackers Cuadrilla have a non-disclosure agreement with the British Geological Survey which limits what information about the former's activities the latter can publish.

E2a: https://inews.co.uk/news/environmen...t-disclosure-files-british-geological-survey/
Wouldn't be at all surprised - companies working with technologies such as this don't want any figures that could be misinterpreted or misrepresented ending up in the public domain and picked up by the press.

Except in this case I don't think the data would be misinterpreted etc and that's what they're afraid of.

Unfortunately I think the £$£$£$s involved will mean that the pro-fracking lobby will "win" ...

Deep coal mining and brine extraction in particular can still cause surface subsidence in the UK.
Lots of country seats in Scotland were demolished as mine workings extended too close to or even under the properties, Hamilton Palace is probably the most notable property lost in this way. No fan of the upper classes by any means, but the loss to the nation of fine architecture is incalculable.

There's also parts of Glasgow with lots of subsidence due to mine workings, the University District of Gilmorehill is particularly affected. Iirc one of the mines could be accessed from the basement of one of the University buildings.

Oil-drilling expansion plan sparks row

A plan to expand oil drilling in the Surrey countryside with four new bore wells has sparked protests. UK Oil and Gas (UKOG) said it aimed to operate a total of six oil wells at the Horse Hill site, which is about two miles from Gatwick Airport.

Surrey County Council has approved a 25-year drilling plan from the firm. But opponents said councillors failed to consider the impact on climate change this will have and the potential to cause earthquakes.

This bit gets me...

Residents have raised concerns a series of more than 30 earthquakes, which began in April 2018 and is known as the "Surrey swarm", were triggered by oil exploration at Horse Hill.

However, scientists from Imperial College, the University of Bristol and the British Geological Survey (BGS) concluded the tremors were natural and their "closeness to oil extraction sites is probably a coincidence"".

The earthquakes started in April 2018, but are probably a coincidence? :hmm:

The earthquakes started in April 2018, but are probably a coincidence? :hmm:
It is possible to have earthquake swarms that are natural in origin - so they might be right. I suppose it depends on how many faults there are in Surrey. We had a swarm in Manchester nearly 20 years ago - there are loads of faults round here, along with old mine workings due to the coal measures being abundant in the area.

Is the English experiment over?

Hopefully so. I don't think I ever saw any convincing economics to back up the idea of fracking in this country, even if one ignores the environmental impacts. Fracking in general seems to be a technique born from the fossil fuels industry's desperation for profitable new deposits. Hopefully investors get scared off from funding any further idiocy in this respect. "Hi, we're an industry that has relentlessly exploited resources to the point where we're now literally breaking up rocks in people's gardens and farms in the hope of finding something. Please give us money so that we can continue our unsustainable addiction to the black stuff, kthx."

Good fucking riddance.

Hopefully so. I don't think I ever saw any convincing economics to back up the idea of fracking in this country, even if one ignores the environmental impacts. Fracking in general seems to be a technique born from the fossil fuels industry's desperation for profitable new deposits. Hopefully investors get scared off from funding any further idiocy in this respect. "Hi, we're an industry that has relentlessly exploited resources to the point where we're now literally breaking up rocks in people's gardens and farms in the hope of finding something. Please give us money so that we can continue our unsustainable addiction to the black stuff, kthx."

Good fucking riddance.

All the fracking companies are shell companies of shell companies of shell companies. That's a setup you use when there's a good chance of sunk costs with zero payoff and you don't want the financial, or environmental liabilities coming back to you.

As the man said, when the information you have changes, your view changes.

I was in favour of fracking, now not. It isn't needed. We are moving, albeit slowly, towards eradication of fossil fuel use, so another source seems to be of little use.

Very confused at Lizz Truss recent action to remove the moratorium on fracking... I remember the uproar this caused in Lancashire where I was brought up and the serious unrest caused.

I would have thought given her background as secretary of state for the the environment she may be more cautious although it turns out she did try and suppress a DEFRA report on Shale Gas: Rural Economy Impacts report in 2015.

Flustered Liz Truss Blames Civil Servants for Redacted Fracking Report Fiasco

I was also surprised to learn pre government she used to work as an economist for Shell....

How strange then that she should immediately move to undo these environmental protections despite being told or the risk to the environment, that it would likely take a long time to get any gas and even then the energy companies would only sell the resulting gas at market prices 🤔

It all sounds incredibly murky.

Last edited:
She’s a former BP employee and records substantial donations from BP affiliates towards her leadership campaign.

Gosh I wonder why she’s doing this.

Can't say I am surprised considering she was banging on about it during the leadership campaign.

Last edited:
I know a couple who live in Lytham near the Preston New Road site. Minor tremors and shakes happened all the time, they said. Very, very few people in the Fylde and Blackpool areas support fracking, very few.

it's the 'crackhead smoking any white crumb they find in the carpet at 4am' stage of the petrocarbon industry isn't it.

Even the petrochemical companies aren't that interested. The whole fracking industry in the UK up to now has been a dead loss as far as I know. The boss of Cuadrilla, a major player in fracking 1.0, is saying it's not viable. And that would probably be the case even without the ferocious opposition any new fracking sites will face.

This is going nowhere. No Tory MP is going to support this on their doorstep. Mogg certainly won't respond to the challenge another Tory put to him to that end. Bizarre to think why they are doing this. Perhaps to wrongfoot Starmer

Back
Top Bottom