Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fracking - the general discussion.

Seems like fracking has been around for a while...

0v7Idzd.jpg

Earthquakes in the UK | Earthquakes | Discovering Geology | British Geological Survey (BGS)

We have had earthquakes in the UK up to about 5.4, with no structural damage below 4 or so. The 0.4 'earthquakes' recorded (too small to be felt) are several thousand times less than 4.0. There is an awful lot of hysteria over very little. If you want to mount a campaign over fracking, fair enough, but to suggest that huge earthquakes will ensue is risible.
I know you're being wilfully ignorant, but I suppose someone has to point out that there's a difference between completely unavoidable tectonic events and deliberately engineered anthropogenic tremors.

I know you're being wilfully ignorant, but I suppose someone has to point out that there's a difference between completely unavoidable tectonic events and deliberately engineered anthropogenic tremors.

Actually, the point I was making about tremors was that the level of 'quake' the protesters are banging on about is so tiny you wouldn't feel it if you were standing over it. We have similar 'quakes' every day in the UK.

There's no legislation on fracking mate. We just don't have it. ;)

'
First Minister Nicola Surgeon later told MSPs that "fracking is being banned in Scotland, end of story" and that people "should welcome the fact that fracking in Scotland is banned".

The SNP's website also stated that: "The Scottish government has put in place a ban on fracking in Scotland

Actually, the point I was making about tremors was that the level of 'quake' the protesters are banging on about is so tiny you wouldn't feel it if you were standing over it. We have similar 'quakes' every day in the UK.
Which are naturally occurring, unavoidable phenomena. Few right-minded folk would argue that needlessly causing additional tectonic hazards is a good thing.
btw frack-related quakes in the states have been registered as high as 5.7 on the Richter scale.

I'm not actually in favour of fracking, on both risk to water and 'fossil fuel' concerns. I do think that facts should be presented in an unbiased manner though, as with everything.

As someone pointed out, the big use would be plastics, and that is already an 'insurmountable in any realistic time scale' territory.

Which are naturally occurring, unavoidable phenomena. Few right-minded folk would argue that needlessly causing additional tectonic hazards is a good thing.
btw frack-related quakes in the states have been registered as high as 5.7 on the Richter scale.

That is hefty. The recent UK ones weren't though. Two ways of looking at it 1. Earthquake. 2. Seismic shock caused naturally in the process of fracking, a deliberate release of energy.

What does concern me is water integrity, the bore through the water table can be cased for a distance above and below, and this should be absolutely safe. Oil pipelines with the same 'guarantee' have been known to let go. It may be a minute chance, but is catastrophic if it happens. It really isn't worth the risk. We need the water more than the gas.

'
First Minister Nicola Surgeon later told MSPs that "fracking is being banned in Scotland, end of story" and that people "should welcome the fact that fracking in Scotland is banned".

The SNP's website also stated that: "The Scottish government has put in place a ban on fracking in Scotland
hoho it's like that, is it?

Here's the whole thing.

Judge says fracking not banned in Scotland

Why did no-one else do it in the UK? A ban can be contested legally, you can't contest 'nothing has actually been decided yet'.

Absolutely. ..a richer 1 or 2 might not be felt at the surface ....but it can absolutly fuck the pipe train...which is what happenend in blackpool.....

No pipe integrity ...total path up through the water table

Frackings all about forced mobility of fluids...where there wasnt any

(You know, I could do with a laugh)

So who in your opinion is going to be in government if the SNP aren't? Are you predicting a Con-Lab coalition?
I missed this...

That's happening now. They're both joining up all over up here. They're in cahoots.

Like I said before, and it wasn't a nya-nya we're better than you or any such nonsense post, there's no fracking up here...down south should be asking serious questions about that. It's fucking negligence. There are no good stories about fracking, it's poundland mining that doesn't give a fuck.

We may get fracking because the pressure is incredible but for now...unless the UK gets involved (not a cheap shot)...we're good.

That's happening now. They're both joining up all over up here. They're in cahoots.
It's one thing to form a coalition at the local level it's something else to do it at Holyrood (or Westminster). I'm no fan of the (S)LP but I'm skeptical they'd take such a step. The LDs might be willing but they won't have enough seats to deliver a majority.

And without a coalition the chances of a Con government are vanishingly small, their vote may have recovered from the 2000s but you are still looking at 20-25% max.

As for the SNPs actions, well I think it's a good example of how they are the same as the rest of the wankers. They talk about banning fracking to the electorate but when it comes down to it they don't want to actually to commit to such an action so weasel away.

Last edited:
(You know, I could do with a laugh)

So who in your opinion is going to be in government if the SNP aren't? Are you predicting a Con-Lab coalition?

West Lothian Council is de facto just that. Lab and Conservatives are not in coalition, they just happen to vote the same way.

Our Ward has a Conservative Councillor, who would have thought it. :)

Absolutely. ..a richer 1 or 2 might not be felt at the surface ....but it can absolutly fuck the pipe train...which is what happenend in blackpool.....

No pipe integrity ...total path up through the water table

Frackings all about forced mobility of fluids...where there wasnt any

They've just had a 1.5 quake at Blackpool. Work stopped yet again.

Our local test drilling site at Tinker Lane, Notts has failed to find the shale they were looking for. There is no planning permission for further exploratory drilling at the site, so they'll have to pack up and bugger off. Another fuckton of money down the bog for the frackers, with still not a penny in profit made anywhere in the UK. Anyone still investing in the industry at this point has got to be soft in the fucking head.

That’s fuckin awesome! :cool:

It's not all puppies and ice cream, a mate of mine is waiting to see if she'll be charged for breaching the site's uber-injunction. Not sure how many others have been charged in relation to protests at that site, but it's a non-trivial number. Numerous complaints against the police are also ongoing.

Our local test drilling site at Tinker Lane, Notts has failed to find the shale they were looking for. There is no planning permission for further exploratory drilling at the site, so they'll have to pack up and bugger off. Another fuckton of money down the bog for the frackers, with still not a penny in profit made anywhere in the UK. Anyone still investing in the industry at this point has got to be soft in the fucking head.

But, sadly, not bugger off too far.

The company is expected to move on next year to its other site in the area, at Misson Springs, where it has permission to drill two exploration shale gas wells.

“The outcome of this exploration well does not change our view on the prospectivity of our next target well at Springs Road, where we believe a thick section of shale is present due to its more central location in the basin and which we expect to spud in the first quarter of 2019.”

IGas disappointment as it fails to find Bowland shale at Tinker Lane

:(

With the proviso that I'm speaking from a position of near-ignorance, I don't get why an earthquake of 1.5 is a big enough deal to shut anything down. A tremor that might take sensitive instruments to even detect in the first place would seem to have much less of an impact on the environment than the contamination of the local groundwater that would inevitably occur from forcing fracking fluid underground.

With the proviso that I'm speaking from a position of near-ignorance, I don't get why an earthquake of 1.5 is a big enough deal to shut anything down. A tremor that might take sensitive instruments to even detect in the first place would seem to have much less of an impact on the environment than the contamination of the local groundwater that would inevitably occur from forcing fracking fluid underground.

afaik, tremors increase the risk massively, of ground water contamination, due to wells fracturing.

Here we go again...

Environmental campaigners are calling for an immediate ban on fracking after families near Cuadrilla’s shale gas site in Lancashire reported their homes shaking from the biggest tremor yet last night.

The 2.1ML (local magnitude) event at 10.01pm on Saturday is the 92nd tremor since fracking began at Preston New Road in Little Plumpton near Blackpool less than a fortnight ago.

The BGS said the tremor had a depth of 1.2 miles and was felt by residents in surrounding areas including Blackpool, Lytham St Annes and the towns and villages of Great Plumpton, Westby, Weeton, Peel and Wesham.

They have to close down if a tremor of more than 0.5 in magnitude is recorded, and there's been a few this last week...

It comes after Cuadrilla halted operations at the site after a tremor measuring 1.05ML at 11.22pm on Friday, followed by a 0.53ML tremor at 5am on Saturday.

Work also had to be halted on Wednesday after a 1.55ML tremor – at that point the largest – which Cuadrilla was accused of playing down by likening it to dropping a large bag of shopping on the floor.

https://inews.co.uk/news/rubbish-london-south-could-be-sent-up-north-under-no-deal-plans/

Back
Top Bottom