Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fire in Tower Block in Dagenham, London, Monday 26 August 2024.

"Earlier today, the London Fire Brigade (LFB) said the blaze had been brought under control and that all residents had been accounted for.

More than 80 people were evacuated from the building and at least 20 were rescued by firefighters, while two were taken to hospital.

One resident told the BBC the fire was a "terrifying experience", while another fears he and his family have "lost everything".

"It's not yet known what caused the blaze.

The building's "non-compliant" cladding was in the process of being removed, according to a Facebook post from a contractor., external

An investigation has begun and questions around the role of cladding will "form part" of the probe, according to the LFB's Assistant Commissioner Patrick Goulbourne."

That must have been terrifying.
Glad to hear everyone is safe, but some people will surely have lost a lot of their worldly goods and are probably in hostels/sofa surfing/temporary accommodation waiting to be rehomed, which must be incredibly stressful :(

Horrifying situation to have been in.
Pleased that everyone was accounted for / safe - sounds like the "shelter in place" rule was exchanged for complete evacuation ...
From the look of the rather limited coverage on the Beeb, it looks like a lot of people will have lost everything. Very sad, hope the temporary / permament rehousing is sorted pdq.
much sympathy to those involved.
It seems that the fire-unsafe cladding was being removed - wonder where the bits taken off were being stored ?

I'm intrigued by the way buildings often seem to catch fire while undergoing restoration/renovation (eg Windsor Castle, Glasgow School of Art, Notre Dame).

That must have been terrifying.
Glad to hear everyone is safe, but some people will surely have lost a lot of their worldly goods and are probably in hostels/sofa surfing/temporary accommodation waiting to be rehomed, which must be incredibly stressful :(

It must be really awful. We had bad floods here 20 years or so ago, and around 800 homes were flooded. It really affected a lot of people's mental health. And floods are less devastating, because the basic structure is generally ok and it's a question of drying out and refitting rather than rebuilding, although it took ages in some cases.

A lot of families couldn't be accommodated locally, and had to move to towns 10-15 miles away, so kids had to change schools and stuff. Some friends lived in a caravan in their own front garden for 8 months, and considered themselves lucky to be local to school and work.

It must be really awful. We had bad floods here 20 years or so ago, and around 800 homes were flooded. It really affected a lot of people's mental health. And floods are less devastating, because the basic structure is generally ok and it's a question of drying out and refitting rather than rebuilding, although it took ages in some cases.

A lot of families couldn't be accommodated locally, and had to move to towns 10-15 miles away, so kids had to change schools and stuff. Some friends lived in a caravan in their own front garden for 8 months, and considered themselves lucky to be local to school and work.

I mean I live on the top floor of a low-rise block, we've had a couple of (fortunately relatively small and not devastating) fires here and even though I've only got 2 flights of stairs to go down, it's fucking terrifying when you're trying to get out and get your pets to safety as well when the place, especially if it's the communal stairwell, is filling up with smoke.
I can't imagine the terror of a major incident but it's the stuff of nightmares.

I'm intrigued by the way buildings often seem to catch fire while undergoing restoration/renovation (eg Windsor Castle, Glasgow School of Art, Notre Dame).

It shouldn’t really be a surprise, renovations are usually when a load of potential fire sources come into contact with parts of buildings which have had their fire defences removed.

I mean I live on the top floor of a low-rise block, we've had a couple of (fortunately relatively small and not devastating) fires here and even though I've only got 2 flights of stairs to go down, it's fucking terrifying when you're trying to get out and get your pets to safety as well when the place, especially if it's the communal stairwell, is filling up with smoke.
I can't imagine the terror of a major incident but it's the stuff of nightmares.

It totally gives me the heebies. I had a spell of recurring dreams about trying to get out of a burning buildings in my teens, and I still feel very uncomfortable staying in a house where they routinely double lock outside doors at night, so you'd need a key to get out. It's awful when I stay at a friend's 3-storey house, where both bedrooms are on the top floor and everything's double locked.

I also have a plan for getting out of my house if there's a fire on the ground floor stopping me from getting downstairs: it involves climbing out of the bedroom window, onto the flat roof of the front bay and lowering myself into the front garden. I even had a plan for getting the dogs out when I had them - they were going to be shoved into the duvet cover and lowered down!

I refused a room at Priory Hall [Coventry] as it was a 20floor tower block and I had the heebies about sleeping through an alarm ... I could sleep like the dead at times.
However, one night I was part of a study group that was working stupidly late, so the non-residents were signed in ... and that was the morning the f####ing fire brigade decided to hold a fire drill ... at 06:00.
I was the 79th person out of the tall block - dressed with m/bike gear and the notebooks for my work ... I woke up on about the third or fourth "double ring" of the bells. Probably the fastest I've ever dressed, with that cacophony going on I wasn't hanging about. The look I gave the fire officer that was standing by the porters lodge on the way out would have curdled milk, it was cold but not rainy / blowing a gale. We did get hot drinks and an early b/fast in the refectory as a reward.
{they picked that day as it was a "day of action" and most academic stuff was, effectively cancelled}

Barking and Dagenham Council have set up a Gofundme with a £20,000 target to 'help the families impacted by the fire'.

Fundraiser by London Borough of Barking and Dagenham : Help for Families: Dagenham Fire 2024.

As I type this it's raised over £17,000.

And the local MP has written to the head honcho of Arinium Holdings Ltd who acquired the freehold of the Spectrum Building at the end of 2019, and to Block Management UK Ltd, Ariniums managing agents, asking some initial questions.

H18eHOSh.png

VqhNUXNh.jpg

zDDSCHYh.png

Brijesh Jayvant Patel
Director of Arinium Holdings Ltd
310 Harrow Road
Wembley
HA9 6LL

28 August 2024

Dear Brijesh

I am writing to you today regarding the recent fire incident which took place in the early hours of Monday 26 August at the Spectrum Building, Freshwater Road, Dagenham, a building owned by Arinium Holdings since November 2019.
In an initial statement made by the London Fire Brigade, they outline that fire safety concerns have previously been raised with you and the Management Company. I will be contacting Block Management UK Ltd separately to understand what factors contributed to this traumatic incident which has resulted in 60 households, including many families, losing everything they have and leaving them homeless.

In May 2023 a Planning Application was submitted and granted to begin the remedial works and remove the unsafe cladding which commenced shortly after approval in July 2023.1 commend the quick turnaround of works following planning approval, but records show that Arinium Holdings Ltd commissioned an External Wall Survey in 2020, highlighting that the building did not fully comply with current Building Regulations. Given what we know about cladding, why did it take three years from finding that the building was unsafe to submitting plans for remediation?

There is another block in my constituency currently undergoing cladding remediation works and they have 24hr fire marshals on site operating a waking watch to ensure the safety of the residents whilst works are carried out. Was this measure considered and why was this not in place at the Spectrum Building?

At the time of conversion from wholly commercial use to part-residential there were no requirements for a sprinkler system to be installed, or for smoke alarms in the communal areas. However, taking over the building in 2020, was a retrofit of these fire safety measures considered?

As the site owner, with overall responsibility for the Spectrum Building it is important that you are open and transparent with your leaseholders, landlords, their tenants, and the businesses that also operate out of the building who have lost their livelihoods. As the Member of Parliament for Dagenham and Rainham, I am urging you to meet with the displaced residents at the temporary rest centre operating at Becontree Heath Leisure Centre, Althorne Way, Dagenham, RM10 7FH. I would also encourage you to cooperate fully with the London Fire Brigade and Barking and Dagenham Council who are respectively coordinating a thorough investigation and support for residents.

At this time, I am sure you will be consulting legal representation alongside many other agencies. Whilst I appreciate there is a transactional side to this situation we must not overlook the very real human tragedy. Thankfully there were no fatalities, but people have lost their homes, belongings, memories, and one particular woman has lost her wedding dress ahead of her wedding in two weeks time.

My constituents will no doubt live with the trauma of this event for the rest of their lives. Considering this, are there any plans to provide some form of compensation through the building insurance returns to those who lived and worked in the building?

You will no doubt appreciate the gravity of this situation, and given this I would be very much obliged if you could provide a response to my enquiries with expediency.

Yours sincerely

Margaret Mudane MP
Member of Parliament for Dagenham and Rainham Incorporating Beam Park, Elm Park and South Hornchurch

FAO David Collinson
Director of Block Management UK Ltd
Gascoyne House, Moseley's Farm Business Centre
Farnham All Saints, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP28 6JY

28 August 2024

Dear David

I am contacting you today regarding the Spectrum Building, Freshwater Road, Dagenham, which is managed by your company, and was engulfed by a devastating fire in the early hours on 26 August.

As the Member of Parliament for Dagenham and Rainham I have been speaking with the 60 households who have lost all their worldly possessions alongside the roof over their head, and all have raised concerns about the safety of the building at the time of evacuation.

It has been alleged by a number of the residents that fire alarms did not go off and that it was the actions of other residents going door to door that alerted families to the life-threatening situation. Can you confirm when the last fire inspection was, what the recommendations of this were, and when the fire alarms were last tested?

In addition to the fire alarms, can you provide information regarding the status of the fire vents in the block, and whether there was a sprinkler system in place?

One mother has reported in the media that the exterior gate by the fire escape had been "padlocked shut", at which point she and her child had to climb over the fence bordering the building. Can you advise on this claim and provide details of emergency evacuation protocols for the building including fire assembly point? When were these protocols last updated, and were residents familiar with them?

The London Fire Brigade are in the process of carrying out an investigation, but as the Member of Parliament it is my duty to represent my constituents. Given the seriousness of this situation I would be much obliged if my enquiries could be responded to with expediency.

Yours sincerely

Margaret Mullane MP
Member of Parliament for Dagenham and Rainham Incorporating Beam Park, Elm Park and South Hornchurch

Couple of reports yesterday on the BBC site:

Dagenham tower fire: No alarm and escape was locked - victims - BBC News

Dagenham: Flat fire residents fear nowhere to go come Monday - BBC News

The second of them says that the hotel accomodation provided by Dagenham Council for some of the former residents is only until next Monday.

An ITV news item from yesterday includes an interview with a different resident saying the same thing. Here's the start of it

View attachment SpectrumBuilding-edit.mp4

(I cut most of the item since it moved on to a more general piece about the number of buildings in London which still have dangerous cladding. The whole thing is on x-twitter here if you want to see it)

From the trade site Building yesterday
Building Safety Regulator opens investigation into Dagenham fire - Building (paywalled so archived)

Inspectors from the HSE’s building safety division – which operates as the Building Safety Regulator – visited the Spectrum House site, in Freshwater Road, yesterday, along with officials from its separate investigations unit (...) An HSE spokesperson said during its investigation it will consider how the cladding remediation works were organised and undertaken and whether this was a factor in the fire. (...) An HSE spokesperson said: “The building involved in the fire was a working site undergoing remediation and therefore a joint investigation team within HSE will work closely with the LFB, the Police and other parties including the local authority.”

I'm pretty sure that this is the first investigation into a major fire by the new Building Safety Regulator.

The BSR was created by the Building Safety Act 2022, and now has significant functions with regard to 'higher risk buildings'
(...) higher-risk buildings are defined as buildings with at least two residential units which are at least 18 metres in height or have at least 7 storeys. (gov.uk definition)
(The BSR also has responsibilities for care homes and hospitals with the same height criteria).

As the Building Safety Regulator, HSE is a statutory consultee for planning applications which involve relevant buildings in England. Before planning permission is granted we check that buildings' designs address fire safety. (BSR FAQ - PDF)

But perhaps even more significantly, in England it is now the Building Control Authority for 'higher-risk buildings'
(...) any new building work in-scope of the higher-risk regime can no longer be overseen by local authority or private sector building control.

All developers are legally required to submit building control applications to BSR when they are:
  • Constructing a new higher-risk building
  • Doing any building work on an existing higherrisk building
  • Doing work that turns a non-higher-risk building into a higher-risk one, such as changing its use
  • Doing work on a higher-risk building that makes it no longer higher-risk

Work cannot begin until BSR have given Building Control Approval and buildings cannot be occupied until BSR have issued a completion certificate.

Obviously the Spectrum Building was not subject to this regime when converted from offices to residential, or when the cladding remediation work was approved.
However as it's first major fire investigation, and into a high profile fire, I imagine it's unlikely that the BSR will be cutting any corners.

In some respects it was good that remedial work was underway as it gave an alternative escape route.
???

Do you mean the scaffolding? The fire brigade reached the site 5 or 6 minutes after getting the first call about the fire. My understanding is that sections of the scaffolding were already on fire when they got there.

And while it's not clear what's going on at the start of this video it's possible that the locked gate it's referring to was part of the security fencing around the base of the scaffolding to stop unauthorised people climbing on it. If that security fencing had been extended over an existing entrance to the building and the gate was locked that would be very serious. But if it was just part of the security fencing around the base of the scaffolding it would have been making it difficult to get out by design, in the same way that it intended to make it difficult for anyone other than contractors to get onto the scaffolding.

Obviously the investigation into the fire is still underway. However some interesting suggestions have been made in professional and trade journals.

Fire Brigade statements on the fire didn't say where they think the fire started but did say
The whole of the building was affected by the fire, including scaffolding surrounding the property and the roof.

Last Tuesday the trade journal Construction News published an article 'Questions raised over scaffolding’s role in Dagenham blaze' (archived here) but this appeared to be reporting speculation.

However on Thursday a blog post was published by the Institution of Fire Engineers.

Fire risk in buildings under construction and renovation - Institution of Fire Engineers

It said this about the Dagenham fire
According to preliminary investigations, the fire may have started from building materials kept on the scaffolding, which accelerated the spread due to the materials' flammability and the scaffolding's open, vertical structure, which can operate as a chimney.

The IFE are a long established and respected global professional body, which amongst other things awards fire engineering qualifications, and consequently this statement has been picked up in the trade press.

On Friday - Early probe points to building materials as Dagenham fire source - Construction News (archived)
Today - Dagenham fire started from materials kept on scaffolding, initial probe suggests - Housing Today (Chartered Institure of Housing) (archived)
And similar stories on other sites.

As the IFE blog post states this is the result of 'preliminary investigations'. However the scaffolding certainly seems to have played a role in the fire spread.

The external face of the building most affected by fire damage was the south elevation. This is from a 2013 drawing submitted to Barking and Dagenham planners. (The building was converted from office to residential in 2014-15).

BjJyCaql.jpg

On the left is one of the two staircase blocks and on the right the other and the lift block. These were part of the original concrete building but extended upwards, also in concrete, to serve the two floors added during the conversion. At the fifth floor level you can see a long balcony stretching the width of the building (marked in red). On the other floors you can see two balconies (marked in red) on each level. Here is a letting agents picture of what the south elevation looked like after conversion.

42KAxKp.jpg

Note the brightly coloured panels dividing the balconies.

The remediation contract taking place at the time of the fire was replacing unsafe non-compliant materials added during the conversion to residential. This included the Trespa HPL cladding panels in the cladding system on the top two floors and also those coloured panels dividing the balconies. On August 19th, a week before the fire, Valcan the supplier of the new compliant cladding panels and balcony panels posted about this contract to their Facebook account. (Original Facebook post here and for those who don't do Facebook an archived version here). I think there are a couple of interesting things about this post but one is this photo of the scaffolding on the south elevation before the fire.

Pthn2PMl.jpg

On the left the hoist in front of the staircase block on the right the lift block. Note that the two balconies on each of the lower floors protude through the scaffolding. The green scaffolding netting runs up to the balconies and then starts again the other side. You can't see it but the scaffolding boards also run up to the balconies and start again the other side. Effectively the balconies divide the scaffolding into three sections. If you look at the larger version of the picture here you can see that the original unsafe coloured balcony dividers have been removed.

On the day of the fire drone footage was taken of the building and the firefighting operations. Sky put up a 30 minute YouTube clip of the footage taken by the drone as it circled the building.
Here are two screencaps of the south elevation. First a shot of the whole elevation. Ignoring the gutted top floors for the moment, note the fire damage is to the 'central' section of the scaffolding and the balconies on either side.

gV0rn0nl.jpg

Here's a closer shot ( a larger version of it is here).

kOVEoNDl.jpg

In the section of scaffolding to the left of the left hand balconies the scaffolding boards are undamaged, some of the netting is intact and there is no sign of damage to the UPVC windows. In the section of scaffolding on the right you can make out that the scaffolding boards are damaged nearest the right hand balconies but are still there, the netting has gone and there is damage to the UPVC windows although elements of many of them are still in place.

Contrast that with the central section between the balconies. The lowest parts of the scaffolding have collapsed, the scaffolding boards are all gone, presumably forming part of the pile of ash and debris on the ground. The UPVC windows have completely gone on all floors and the fire has evidently got into all of the flats and the ground floor commercial unit.

There were other combustible materials on this face of the building. The balconies had wooden decking (see a lettings agent photo here). In addition to the UPVC in the widows, the lowest pane of each of them was not glazed but had a panel of the same combustible Trespa HPL as the cladding system on the top floors. (The remediation contract was supposed to replace all of these). But unlike the top floors there was no cladding system on the walls up to the fourth floor. The original concrete walls had been cleaned and rendered.

The scaffolding certainly appears to be the means by which the fire has spread in this section.

Still obviously this doesn't address all of the issues in this fire. We don't know where the fire started and whether it was travelling up or down this section of scaffolding. The top two floors were gutted. (See the drone footage I posted in post 16 above). The two floors added during the conversion to residential were timber framed. Lots of buildings are timber framed but there have been some serious fires in badly constructed timber framed structures. Then there are the questions over the fire management arrangements: the fire alarms not going off, the fact that smoke appears to have rapidly spread through the common parts, that gates were locked, and so on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom