Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory leadership contest 2024

Who will win the poisoned chalice and lead the tories?

• Kemi Badenoch

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • Tom Tugendhat

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Priti Patel

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Robert Jenrick

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • James Cleverly

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Boris Johnson

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • David Cameron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nigel Farage

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Liz Truss (for the LOLs)

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other choice (mention in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Another day, another leak

The party is clearly feeding these leaks, because she was in second place after Braverman in the polling of members, they just need to wipe out Patel next, and that'll be their hattrick in knocking out the women for their leader.

TBF, they were/are the most toxic in the race.

The party is clearly feeding these leaks, because she was in second place after Braverman in the polling of members, they just need to wipe out Patel next, and that'll be their hattrick in knocking out the women for their leader.

I wonder if it’s coming from the civil servants with a nod and wink from Sue Gray..?

I wonder if it’s coming from the civil servants with a nod and wink from Sue Gray..?

Why would Labour not want the Tory leader to be the most divisive and angry one possible in the absence of Cruella? The time to leak that sort of thing would be after the leadership contest.

Possible the leaker was scared of ministerial retribution pre-election, though, and now feels safer.

That particular leak is really weak isn't it. She was flying to Mexico on official business and asked about getting an onward flight to Texas instead of a return flight, at a lower cost, and was told no. Not really smoking gun stuff is it.
I’m pretty sure certain corporate travel policies would allow for this. It’s not really an unreasonable request given one way flights are usually more expensive than returns for long haul for reasons Bahnhof Strasse can probably explain

Well, two of the women PMs we have had were appalling.

I’m pretty sure certain corporate travel policies would allow for this. It’s not really an unreasonable request given one way flights are usually more expensive than returns for long haul for reasons Bahnhof Strasse can probably explain

I can't explain why, I exploit it, massively, on a daily basis but really don't know why it's a thing. Could understand a return being similar to a one-way, as rail tickets are, but longhaul business class one way can be many £1000s more than a return, it's nuts.

Doesn't say where in Mexico she went, assume Mexico City, London-Mexico City-London in business with BA is more than London-Mexico City-Dallas-London with BA/American Airlines, so it's really not unreasonable for the whole flight to be covered, all my corporate customers would allow this to happen, including the most rigid and formal ones.

I can't explain why, I exploit it, massively, on a daily basis but really don't know why it's a thing. Could understand a return being similar to a one-way, as rail tickets are, but longhaul business class one way can be many £1000s more than a return, it's nuts.

Doesn't say where in Mexico she went, assume Mexico City, London-Mexico City-London in business with BA is more than London-Mexico City-Dallas-London with BA/American Airlines, so it's really not unreasonable for the whole flight to be covered, all my corporate customers would allow this to happen, including the most rigid and formal ones.
Not surprised a govt policy wouldn’t allow it, in my part of the public sector we are paying someone’s prescription charges due to a work related injury. due to the number of prescriptions it would be cheaper for the person to get a prescription prepayment certificate however work won’t allow this as the certificate would then cover any prescriptions the person has which aren’t due to the work related injury!

Is there a scenario where it is less expensive to book two return trips, but only use one leg of the journey?

Someone who, for example, was flying to the USA to carry out work with no fixed end point, could it be cheaper to buy a return to the US from the UK, and another return form the US to the UK, rather than buying an open return ticket?

Is there a scenario where it is less expensive to book two return trips, but only use one leg of the journey?

Someone who, for example, was flying to the USA to carry out work with no fixed end point, could it be cheaper to buy a return to the US from the UK, and another return form the US to the UK, rather than buying an open return ticket?

In that situation it would be cheaper to book a round trip and change the return leg. With BA in business for example, the non-full fare tickets cost £300 + any difference in the fare to change, you can change dates and routes too.

Where it maybe cheaper to book two tickets with fake returns is if only one airline flies to the place you want to go to and it's £6k one way, £2k return, then another carrier flies back from where you will return from, similar stupid pricing structure.

We are threatened by airlines with fines (known as ADMs) if we offer/issue fake returns, so we have to make them look a bit genuine, e.g. one colleague once booked Miami-London BA first class / London-New York BA cheapest economy possible, BA saw it and fined him ~£7000. No one would buy a ticket like that with the intention to use all of it. Yet there's nothing to stop a punter buying exactly that ticket from ba.com, BA will threaten them with extra charges if the cheapo leg isn't used, but this has never, ever happened, as BA knows exactly what a court would make of such nonsense. And it's not just BA, its all of them.

This used to happen in Europe too until Easyjet rolled up; London-Amsterdam one way was £400, a return £35. Also London-Amsterdam-London with no Saturday night stay was >£400, a London-Amsterdam-London with a Saturday night stay + an Amsterdam-London-Amsterdam with a Saturday night stay could be less than £100. Just daft.

^^^^ranting on like this is why I don't get invited to parties.

Last edited:
Not surprised a govt policy wouldn’t allow it, in my part of the public sector we are paying someone’s prescription charges due to a work related injury. due to the number of prescriptions it would be cheaper for the person to get a prescription prepayment certificate however work won’t allow this as the certificate would then cover any prescriptions the person has which aren’t due to the work related injury!

Similar - I'm allowed to buy a £5 sandwich for T&S, but I'm not allowed to buy a £2 loaf of bread and £2 of of ham to go in it.

I might give some of that bread and ham to my children (unlikely, obviously, they might begin to feel welcome..), and so it's better to pay the extra £1, than to risk someone not entitled to T&S benefiting in some way from paying less.

(I don't get invited to parties because I'm judgy and anti-social...)

Now this is a shock

she's got the practice in, perfect choice for leader then :thumbs:
If ever a quote fitted someone, the following definitely fits Bad-Enoch: -

"Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk."
— Terry Pratchett - Feet of Clay

Why would Labour not want the Tory leader to be the most divisive and angry one possible in the absence of Cruella? The time to leak that sort of thing would be after the leadership contest.

Possible the leaker was scared of ministerial retribution pre-election, though, and now feels safer.
Perhaps it’s not about stopping her but poisoning the well. A damaged leader from the off is better for Labour…

Perhaps it’s not about stopping her but poisoning the well. A damaged leader from the off is better for Labour…

Looks like Generic is frontrunner now, anyway. And as his last great wheeze was having cartoon characters whitewashed for fear they might comfort children, damage and poison seem baked in already.

Looks like Generic is frontrunner now, anyway. And as his last great wheeze was having cartoon characters whitewashed for fear they might comfort children, damage and poison seem baked in already.
Ah yes, the MP who managed to deliver food to his parents and travel across the country to his home in Herefordshire, not bothering with his constituency of Newark during Lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom