Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory leadership contest 2024

Who will win the poisoned chalice and lead the tories?

• Kemi Badenoch

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • Tom Tugendhat

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Priti Patel

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Robert Jenrick

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • James Cleverly

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Boris Johnson

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • David Cameron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nigel Farage

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Liz Truss (for the LOLs)

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other choice (mention in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
When do they vote to reduce the numbers?

Am Team Priti (at least that’s who I voted for in this poll, and can see her getting to the member runoff)

The favourite speaks:

Unsurprisingly his ignorance has come in for a lot of criticism.

From the Guardian.

Robert Jenrick, who is one of the favourites to win the Conservative leadership, was criticised by the Conservative peer Sayeeda Warsi and the Labour MP Naz Shah.

Warsi wrote on social media: “Every day before we start parliamentary business in the Commons and Lords we say a prayer and praise God – we say our parliamentary version of Allahu Akbars at the heart of democracy – a process Robert Jenrick is a part of. This language from Jenrick is more of his usual nasty divisive rhetoric – he is such a tool.”

Shah, the MP for Bradford West, said: “This is complete ignorance and textbook Islamophobia from Robert Jenrick. It literally equates every Muslim in the world with extremism … It’s a basic Islamic saying that every Muslim in the world says in prayer.

“ … Imagine in this climate, either being that ignorant or deliberately trying to stigmatise all Muslims. He should apologise and speak to Muslim communities and learn more about our faith.”

Another Labour MP Afzal Khan said: “Another day, another senior Tory being Islamophobic. Allahu Akbar means God is great – the Muslim equivalent of hallelujah. Jenrick’s confidence in going on national TV to say people should be arrested for saying Allahu Akbar exposes his deep-seated prejudice against Muslims.”

Jenrick went on to clarify that he was only referring to people using the phrase in an “intimidatory and threatening” manner, and that “‘Allahu Akbar’ is spoken peacefully and spiritually by millions of British Muslims in their daily lives.” (...)
A Jenrick ally batted away suggestions that the MP had crossed a line, telling Playbook that “politics is not about avoiding rows, it’s about having good fights.” They also went on to suggest that Jenrick was checks notes the reason there was no rioting on Wednesday night. “He spoke some hard truths and then the riots stopped,” they said. Which is certainly a very, shall we say, unique interpretation.
Politico Newsletter

Is this still happening or did they get so pissed drowning their GE sorrows they’ve all forgotten to campaign for leadership? Has been dead quiet lately. I’ve been trying to check the latest odds but a lot of the U.K. betting sites are geoblocked where I am.

Based on those odds they'll end up having another election in 6months when they fall out again with the hard right wing of the party.

Still my favourite to win but the bookies disagree, and it’s often a junior minister not an experienced one whose held a great office of state who wins for the tories so I guess Badenoch or Jenrick fit the bill

Badenoch 7/4
Jenrick 9/4
Cleverly 9/2
Tugendhat 7/1
Patel 20/1
Stride 40/1

Liz Truss is 80/1 if you want to be wild.
Thanks - so the market forces the Tories have such affection for decree it’s gonna be Badenoch or Jenrick.

Thanks - so the market forces the Tories have such affection for decree it’s gonna be Badenoch or Jenrick.
Well, I suppose it's who gets through the MP vote and goes to the members. I don't know their respective popularities in the Parliamentary party.

Back
Top Bottom