Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory leadership contest 2024

Who will win the poisoned chalice and lead the tories?

• Kemi Badenoch

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • Tom Tugendhat

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Priti Patel

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Robert Jenrick

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • James Cleverly

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Boris Johnson

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • David Cameron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nigel Farage

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Liz Truss (for the LOLs)

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other choice (mention in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
isn't he being presented as a 'sensible' option?

(by current standards of the vermin party, he might still be, relatively speaking...)

I think so. To people who don't follow politics to the extent that we do, he doesn't immediately come across as a rabid right-wing psychopath, unlike most of them.

"James Cleverly: "We need to show young people that free markets, not planned economies, are their friends. We need to turn them into capitalists."

Kemi: "“I refuse do to spin. I do charm sometimes, but I think life is better when people say what they think. For too long, politics has just been about working out what the voters want to hear and then saying it back to them. It is the triumph of words over deeds, and that has to change.”

The bit that caught my eye...
Of the candidates who were introduced to the focus groups, which were shown video clips, Badenoch, a former business secretary, performed best with those who switched to the Lib Dems and Reform, with the highest number saying they would be willing to give her a hearing and that she offered something “new and different and refreshing”.
:D

Given that the final two go down to the aged, racist tory membership to vote on, I feel that if there is a choice between an ethnic minority candidate and a white one, their natural inclination is to go with the white one. This is exactly what happened when Truss beat Sunak.

With that in mind, I feel a final two of Jenrick and Badenoch might well yield a victory for "honest" Bob "no-property-deals-too-corrupt" Jenrick.

Given that the final two go down to the aged, racist tory membership to vote on, I feel that if there is a choice between an ethnic minority candidate and a white one, their natural inclination is to go with the white one. This is exactly what happened when Truss beat Sunak.

With that in mind, I feel a final two of Jenrick and Badenoch might well yield a victory for "honest" Bob "no-property-deals-too-corrupt" Jenrick.
What a time to be alive.

It will test my theory on whether the membership really did vote along those lines or whether it was just that Truss appealed to their batshit Thatch/Johnson worshiping tendencies plus Sunak turning on Johnson in his dying days. I still reckon it was that way more than Sunak's ethnicity, but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

With his strong Nixon level integrity vibes, generic looks like the ideal leader to take the vermin to their 2nd consecutive electoral defeat.

It will test my theory on whether the membership really did vote along those lines or whether it was just that Truss appealed to their batshit Thatch/Johnson worshiping tendencies plus Sunak turning on Johnson in his dying days. I still reckon it was that way more than Sunak's ethnicity, but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

Probably a mix of contributing elements.

And, the scores on the doors were...

Robert Jenrick: 28
Kemi Badenoch: 22
James Cleverly: 21
Tom Tugendhat: 17
Mel Stride: 16
Priti Patel: 14

Round two next week.

She must be absolutely gutted. :D
So, assuming that most of those 14 will go to the headbangers at the top of the list, a lot will hinge on the fall-out of the 33 votes currently held by the 2 "One Nation" family candidates at the bottom. I'm assuming that Cleverly will think he could hoover up quite a chunk of Stride & Tugendhat's support.

And, the scores on the doors were...

Robert Jenrick: 28
Kemi Badenoch: 22
James Cleverly: 21
Tom Tugendhat: 17
Mel Stride: 16
Priti Patel: 14

Round two next week.

She must be absolutely gutted. :D
Mel Stride is looking like a bit of a kingmaker now. Team Cleverly and Tug-on-me-hat must be furiously courting/ number crunching right now!

Mel Stride is looking like a bit of a kingmaker now. Team Cleverly and Tug-on-me-hat must be furiously courting/ number crunching right now!

Mel Stride only just got reelected with a majority of 61, which is potentially a bit of an issue, whereas Tugendhat has a big majority in a super safe seat, but properly doesn't stand a chance with the membership, if he ends up on the final shortlist.

At least one cannot fault their consistency:

88681893-13757689-image-a-28_1724073570977.jpg

Tory leader rivals won’t rule out taking cash from race-row donor Frank Hester

Back
Top Bottom