Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory leadership contest 2024

Who will win the poisoned chalice and lead the tories?

• Kemi Badenoch

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • Tom Tugendhat

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Priti Patel

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Robert Jenrick

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • James Cleverly

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Boris Johnson

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • David Cameron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nigel Farage

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Liz Truss (for the LOLs)

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other choice (mention in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Cleverly sets his stall out saying he’ll empower members…

Bit of a box ticking exercise for James Oxymoron. Uninspiring bollocks for the rest of us🥱

✅ Name Thatcher as an inspiration
✅ Johnson defeated the evil Corbyn
✅ Got Brexit done

Badenoch's campaign launch has a very weird melancholic air of nostalgia to it. It has the whiff of decay and the sense of a Party aghast at being left behind by capital.

Namecheck for previous icons long gone and consigned to a historic memory even on their own side...

An attempt to foreground national sovereignty: from a party that believes capital should have no borders or constraints....

A defence of national interests when these must and will be subjugated to the needs of the market....

Referring to identity politics as 'nasty': from a party that enthusiastically joined the culture war to 'defend' an imagine past....

A call for pro capitalist politics when even capitalists blanche at being described as capitalists and prefer to be seen as socially, ethically, environmentally responsible individuals and organisations fully committed to brave DEI initiatives ....

Badenoch is clearly the candidate of the existential tension on the right between politics/values and the demands of the free market....more a cry of sadness than a political programme:

Cleverly.."In particular, I want to make sure that more women are encouraged to stand. Our Party is a broad church and we need to reflect that in the people we return to Parliament."

More front than Brighton Beach.

Badenoch's campaign launch has a very weird melancholic air of nostalgia to it. It has the whiff of decay and the sense of a Party aghast at being left behind by capital.

Namecheck for previous icons long gone and consigned to a historic memory even on their own side...

An attempt to foreground national sovereignty: from a party that believes capital should have no borders or constraints....

A defence of national interests when these must and will be subjugated to the needs of the market....

Referring to identity politics as 'nasty': from a party that enthusiastically joined the culture war to 'defend' an imagine past....

A call for pro capitalist politics when even capitalists blanche at being described as capitalists and prefer to be seen as socially, ethically, environmentally responsible individuals and organisations fully committed to brave DEI initiatives ....

Badenoch is clearly the candidate of the existential tension on the right between politics/values and the demands of the free market....more a cry of sadness than a political programme:

Feels very much like her. She's the female version of a charmless man...

: The nominations for the next Tory leader

• Kemi Badenoch
  • James Cleverly
  • Priti Patel
  • Robert Jenrick
  • Mel Stride
  • Tom Tugendhat

All six met the threshold of at least 10 MPs supporting them.

: The nominations for the next Tory leader

• Kemi Badenoch
  • James Cleverly
  • Priti Patel
  • Robert Jenrick
  • Mel Stride
  • Tom Tugendhat

All six met the threshold of at least 10 MPs supporting them.

1_Mayor.jpg

(Source: Jeremy Selwyn)

How sad that they could not find a way to enable Susan Hall, their immediate past London Mayoral candidate and one of their intellectual juggernauts to stand.

Fuck that. I for one am looking forward to fighting and backstabbing and a nice dirty contest. :mad:
This is a massively nerdy comment but they're like an IRL version of the Forsaken from the Wheel of Time. But not as sexy.

Badenoch getting mad about identity politics is a bit ironic considering how keen she was to accuse Tennant of racism. Even though he never said anything about her being black.

Can't make up my mind about who would make the best job of being the next tory leader ...
as in who will do such a job that they stay out of power for as long as possible.

Just sitting back with the popcorn atm, the contest looks likely to be more fun than watching some of the olympics ...

and I expect cruella to sod off to refuk during the conference season
Has truss signed up with them, yet ? cos I'm expecting her, as a trump fangirl to do just that.

Now this is a shock

Kemi Badenoch accused of ‘bullying and traumatising’ staff​

Exclusive: At least three department officials allegedly felt pushed out by MP’s behaviour as business secretary

Pippa Crerar Political editor
Tue 30 Jul 2024 18.41 CESTLast modified on Tue 30 Jul 2024 18.53 CEST

Kemi Badenoch, the frontrunner to be the next Conservative party leader, has been accused of creating an intimidating atmosphere in the government department she used to run, with some colleagues describing it as toxic, the Guardian can reveal.

At least three officials found her behaviour so traumatising that they felt they had no other choice but to leave, sources claimed.

Morale was said to be so low in the Department for Business and Trade last year that senior officials thought it necessary to address concerns about the working culture during an official “town hall” meeting. This was attended by about 70 staff in person and online on 13 December 2023.

she's got the practice in, perfect choice for leader then :thumbs:

Can't make up my mind about who would make the best job of being the next tory leader ...
as in who will do such a job that they stay out of power for as long as possible.

Just sitting back with the popcorn atm, the contest looks likely to be more fun than watching some of the olympics ...

and I expect cruella to sod off to refuk during the conference season
Has truss signed up with them, yet ? cos I'm expecting her, as a trump fangirl to do just that.
Toss up between Jenrick and Badenoch…?

Back
Top Bottom