Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory leadership contest 2024

Who will win the poisoned chalice and lead the tories?

• Kemi Badenoch

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • Tom Tugendhat

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Priti Patel

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Robert Jenrick

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • James Cleverly

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Boris Johnson

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • David Cameron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nigel Farage

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Liz Truss (for the LOLs)

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other choice (mention in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Interesting that Braverman's support has switched to Jenrick.

I voted for him in the poll. As nasty as Badenoch and Braverman, but white and male, so he's more likely to appeal to the racists and sexists among the members. Badenoch and Jenrick for the final two would see him get it imo.

As I've never been a a parent, I'm probably wrong about this, but looking at the list of candidates for the leadership must be very much like the intense and unfurling horror the moment you remove a baby's nappy for the very first time and examine the contents. And then you realise that you're going to have to repeat this experience quite literally ad nauseam.

Nah, Braverman has just pulled out, aka, realised nobody likes her and nobody will nominate her :D

Apparently she managed a grand total of no one backing her bid. Small mercies, but there is still a wealth of excreta in the running.

Dear Ms Braverman,

"I’ve been branded mad, bad and dangerous by my own party – so I will not lead it"

That's because you are, but yet again you're blaming everyone else for what is your fault, if you can't keep your motor mouth shut, and instead constantly attack your colleagues, don't expect them to support you, FFS, what is wrong with you?

Yours,
cupid_stunt

So where to next? Although I’m grateful to the 10 MPs who wanted to nominate me for the leadership, getting onto the ballot is not enough. There is, for good or for ill, no point in someone like me running to lead the Tory Party when most of the MPs disagree with my diagnosis and prescription. The traumatised party does not want to hear these things said out loud. Instead, platitudes about “unity” are fashionable. That’s all fine but it’s not honest. When I said multiculturalism wasn’t working, I meant it. When, two years ago, I argued that we needed to leave the ECHR to stop the boats (as opposed to the cryptic talk about “readiness” or “reform”. Reader, beware of those reinventing themselves as ECHR-sceptics), it’s because it was true. When I’ve said the police needed to be tougher on pro-Palestinian thugs, that was the right thing to do.

Now we are in a crisis and that’s why I’m being honest again about our problems. So we can fix them and go on to win.

"I was right, me, just me, everyone else was wrong, everyone," she's as bad as Liz Truss at politics, thank fuck she isn't going to be an option for the membership, because those loons would have voted for her.

Whoever takes charge will, I know, have the best intentions and I will support them from the backbenches for a Conservative revival, a privilege for which I am deeply grateful.

I still think she'll bugger off to Reform, and be a big fish in a small pond.

Dear Ms Braverman,

"I’ve been branded mad, bad and dangerous by my own party – so I will not lead it"

That's because you are, but yet again you're blaming everyone else for what is your fault, if you can't keep your motor mouth shut, and instead constantly attack your colleagues, don't expect them to support you, FFS, what is wrong with you?

Yours,
cupid_stunt

"I was right, me, just me, everyone else was wrong, everyone," she's as bad as Liz Truss at politics, thank fuck she isn't going to be an option for the membership, because those loons would have voted for her.

I still think she'll bugger off to Reform, and be a big fish in a small pond.

I'm still convinced she is creating a narrative that the next leader isn't right wing enough and will fail (how long will the next one last?). She is playing the long game.

Failing that, a flounce to Reform could be on the cards right enough.

I'm still convinced she is creating a narrative that the next leader isn't right wing enough and will fail (how long will the next one last?). She is playing the long game.

I agree that she's unlikely to flounce to Reform.

I wouldn't be altogether surprised if the new leader, whoever that turns out to be, offers her a shadow cabinet position in an attempt to keep her within the fold.

I suspect she’ll be off to Reform; wonder if the only deciding factor is the timing: either when nominations close to impact the tone of the leadership campaigns or when the new leader is announced to steal thunder?

I suspect she’ll be off to Reform; wonder if the only deciding factor is the timing: either when nominations close to impact the tone of the leadership campaigns or when the new leader is announced to steal thunder?

I’d bet against that. Her best bet is to wait for the new leader to struggle in the polls and then present herself as the common sense (ie, hard right) candidate who stayed loyal to the party. She’s still got a much better chance of being Tory leader than Reform leader.

Is the new leader going to be voted on by the membership or just the MPs?
edit, ok I believe the party narrow it to 2 and then the membership decides...if thats true I really cant see Badenoch getting in as Ive yet to meet a non racist and non mysoginistic tory party member or supporter
Itll be tat tugginhat bloke I suppose

I’d bet against that. Her best bet is to wait for the new leader to struggle in the polls and then present herself as the common sense (ie, hard right) candidate who stayed loyal to the party. She’s still got a much better chance of being Tory leader than Reform leader.
I don’t think that’s a good tactic at all, the biggest moments are always at the start. If she waited for then she’d be drowned out by other Tory voices and Farage.

Back
Top Bottom