Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory leadership contest 2024

Who will win the poisoned chalice and lead the tories?

• Kemi Badenoch

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • Tom Tugendhat

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Priti Patel

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Robert Jenrick

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • James Cleverly

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Boris Johnson

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • David Cameron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nigel Farage

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Liz Truss (for the LOLs)

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other choice (mention in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Accused of making unpleasant and racist remarks 20 years ago:
The claims within the dossier were first published in the Spectator, which asked: “Could these be the online comments of young Kemi Badenoch?” Some of the comments talked about stereotypes of Thai and Nigerian women, while another called Diane Abbott a “hypocrite”.

Another said: “Most of the people who changed the world, for good were notoriously rude. It was the bad people, Idi Amin, Hitler etc who were charming and respectful. People like you would have been defending them that they were good people because they had good manners. Robert Mugabe was also once known for his good manners!!”
Jury seems out on whether it's her but then you get to:
Friends of Badenoch said she had owned a user profile on the website but much of the material in the dossier was from another poster calling themselves “kemi”. They said it was a common name and there was a lot of impersonation happening on the website, and Badenoch could not remember which, if any of the remarks were made by her.
which does sound strangely phrased. If someone said that to me even 20 years ago I'd be able to say "no that definitely wasn't me" but she seems herself to have doubts. :eek:

Damn. Silver lining is there’s a higher chance she’ll defect to Reform now…which I’m here for!

The headline is - 'Kemi Badenoch to run for leader but Braverman may be a non-starter.'

And, they expect Badenoch to be the last to stand.

Badenoch will launch her bid for the Tory leadership on Monday. While she will be last into the race, she was actually the first to secure the ten nominations from MPs required to get on the ballot paper — drummed up by her campaign manager Lee Rowley, who lost his seat in the election, and Julia Lopez, the shadow culture secretary.

And, some young Tories ;) seem to think she's the one, and that they need someone that is 'going to listen more to the members', the last bloody thing they need. :D

This will have some appeal to members, if councillors in Norfolk, where Liz Truss lost her seat, are anything to go by. Richard Blunt, 75, from the Walsoken, West Walton and Walpole ward in the North West Norfolk seat next to Truss’s former constituency, said: “We need to understand we’ve got to change in a way that the electorate will actually support us. We need somebody who’s got bright ideas, who’s going to listen more to the members.”

Harry Humphrey, 85, councillor for the Emneth with Outwell ward in South West Norfolk — the seat Truss lost — said Badenoch had been “talking a good talk” and “saying the right things” in the past.

And, this could up the entertainment level...

It is understood, however, that The Guardian newspaper has an investigation, months in the making, ready to run in the next week, detailing claims about her behaviour in government. “They’ve had it for months,” a source said. Badenoch’s team say it is the product of a disgruntled former special adviser dismissed by Badenoch.

The fear is that it could unleash further leaks about her personal style, which is robust to say the least. A former cabinet colleague said: “I like that she will cross the road to start a fight, but not everyone does.”

An official on another campaign said: “Kemi means drama — and the last thing the party needs is more drama.” Another said: “Frontrunners always get shot at. The game is kill Kemi.”

Bit harsh. :D

Only a small piece about Braverman, just leaving the question as to at which point she fucks off and joins Reform.

One who will probably be dropping out is Suella Braverman, another former home secretary, whose natural supporters — and most of her former aides — have switched en masse to Robert Jenrick. “This whole experience has got to have been bruising for her,” a senior Tory said. Jenrick, the former immigration minister, is taking hard-line positions, but doing so in a more moderate tone calculated to appeal to the membership. The other camps have taken aim at his decision to hire aides who were behind the plot to oust Sunak earlier this year.

I am loving all this drama, there's going to be so many blue on blue attacks, this should be fun.

Full article - https://archive.ph/A6him

And, Patel is accusing potential rivals of waging “personal vendettas” and indulging in “a soap opera of finger-pointing and self-indulgence”.

They're fighting like rats in sack, I am loving it! :D

I think Braverman might be biding her time, the first leader will crash and burn (they have a great track record of doing this). She be waiting in the wings for her next opportunity.

I am not sure about that, she's upset too many Tory MPs, I honestly think she's burnt her bridges, like Johnson has, the membership may want those two, but the MPs know them better, and don't want to work with them.

I’d think Braverman is too associated with Truss era.

Patel has advantage of having sat out of cabinet the last few years and has been charming the Conservative rubber chicken circuit.

She has a much longer history than that- being part of the expert Brexit team under David Davis, where, faced with a committee of European politicians behind mountains of paperwork on the first day of the negotiations, Davis turned up with a briefcase that contained a pork pie, some Sunny D, and a collected edition of the Biggles novels. She had ministerial roles under every Tory clowncar administration since Mrs May.

It will be A Big Thing if she does end up signing a contract with the Reform plc group, for about a day. The Tories will brief that it's a massive relief that someone so clearly unhinged will now be Farage's problem. Maybe one or two nasty stories that have not yet made the papers.

Then that'll be it. A political career whose highlight was cosplaying Priti Patel.

Bye, Suella.

Bravermans main appeal will be the swivel eyed loons that make up the party membership. They love her.

Indeed, and the reason why I think the MPs will not want her on the list of two that goes to the membership, because there's little doubt she would win.

I bet Hague regrets ever giving the membership a vote on the leadership.

And, Patel is accusing potential rivals of waging “personal vendettas” and indulging in “a soap opera of finger-pointing and self-indulgence”.

They're fighting like rats in sack, I am loving it! :D

Patel has also spoken about giving the members more of a voice

Priti Patel vows to unite Tories in leadership bid

Dame Priti has been a backbench MP since stepping down as home secretary in 2022, following the resignation of her ally Boris Johnson. She has been highly critical of the Conservative Party's leadership in recent years, blaming them for the Tories' slide from political favour that culminated in July's historic election defeat. "It isn’t our heroic members who failed, but politicians’ distraction from public service," she said on Saturday. “It is time to put unity before personal vendetta, country before party, and delivery before self-interest." Dame Priti added that one point of difference between her and other leadership candidates was that she would reward members' dedication by giving them more of a voice in the party.

The subtext here from both Badenoch and Patel is clearly that the Sunak leadership betrayed "true Conservatism" and it needs the membership to put them back on the right track.

Back
Top Bottom