Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory leadership contest 2024

Who will win the poisoned chalice and lead the tories?

• Kemi Badenoch

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • Tom Tugendhat

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Priti Patel

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Robert Jenrick

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • James Cleverly

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Boris Johnson

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • David Cameron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nigel Farage

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Liz Truss (for the LOLs)

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Other choice (mention in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
You're getting stick for this because of your focus on one person, Bannon, as if he's THE baddie.
No one said he was the only 'baddie', why would you assume anyone thinks that? The conversation was about him. Anything else is just whatabouttery.
It's easy to sneer about Trump or Reform voters being racists, white supremacists, fascists, but that doesn't explain such wide appeal far beyond a core group of cunts.
Where did I sneer about voters being racist?

And talking about their wide appeal requires people accept that exists, which is the point!

Remember when the 1922 committee was very important , feverish speculation around Boris , Truss , & Sunak. That committee could bring down a PM.

It is excellent seeing it so irrelevant.
The 22 is very powerful, and determines how leaders are chosen…

Looks like the rules for the next leadership election are agreed…

Paywall busted link to The Times' article - https://archive.ph/miSFP

The plans will need the support of Sunak, who was previously said to be keen to stand down sooner. If he does so an interim leader would be required.

Under the plans, nominations will open on Wednesday with as many as eight of the 121 surviving Tory MPs planning to stand. They include Kemi Badenoch, Priti Patel, Robert Jenrick, Suella Braverman, James Cleverly, Tom Tugendhat, Victoria Atkins and Mel Stride.

Some are likely to fall at the first hurdle as they are expected to need the support of a dozen colleagues to take part in the contest. Nominations will close at the beginning of next week.

I suspect Braverman will fall at the first hurdle, be interesting to see who else does, probably Mel Stride too, because IIRC he only got reelected on a majority of about 60.

Last edited:

I suspect Braverman will fall at the first hurdle, be interesting to see who else does, probably Mel Stride too, because IIRC he only got reelected on a majority of about 60.
My prediction:

Cunt 1 falls first, then cunt 2 until cunt n-1, leaving King/Queen cunt the winner.

So, 121 Tory MPs mean it’s theoretically possible to have 12 running over the summer for leader!

Clearly won’t happen but imagine how insane that would be…
121/13 = 9 and a bit.

Each candidate needs the support of 12 others (according to the article you quoted earlier).

tories will either choose a right wing nutcase or a centrist. That’s all we need concern ourselves with. I don’t give a fuck about their internal rules for electing a new leader. The tendency they are trying to capitalise on is more important.

If they only need 12 nominations, it's numerically possible for as many as 9 candidates to enter. I'm slightly surprised they're setting the bar that low.

tories will either choose a right wing nutcase or a centrist. That’s all we need concern ourselves with. I don’t give a fuck about their internal rules for electing a new leader. The tendency they are trying to capitalise on is more important.
I want rules that allow as many to stand as possible to make a messy contest :thumbs:

There's much media oxygen devoted to this (& US Elections) when all eyes should be on what a new govt is doing. I guarantee whoever is elected won't be fighting the next general election.

Twitter links are content.

Content for people who can't think of anything to say themselves.

If people really can't think of anything original and must post someone else's twitter comment, can they at the very least
  • Post a screenshot so that everyone can actually read it
  • Clarify who the person whose twitter comment you've posted is. Who the fuck is Harry Horton, for instance?

Back
Top Bottom