Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory leadership contest 2024

Who will win the poisoned chalice and lead the tories?

• Kemi Badenoch

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • Tom Tugendhat

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Priti Patel

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Robert Jenrick

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • James Cleverly

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Boris Johnson

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • David Cameron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nigel Farage

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Liz Truss (for the LOLs)

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Other choice (mention in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
IDS recently

View attachment 433690

(even though I'm sure this is bollocks, like all your other hot tips and hot takes)
It probably is being discussed but the thing I keep in mind is there’s always different discussions happening within different factions. Doesn’t mean they’re decisive but it’s entirely possible they’re happening as reported…

It wouldn’t surprise me if this was floated by Sunak as it looks like he wants out.

That's true, not sure it works well when publicly announced as a policy though.
The only way to get near your target is to be accountable for it. Announcing it publicly does that, and less face it even if they do only half it’ll still be far more than the Tories did with nearly three times the time!

Interesting backers…

Baker is a Brexiteer, but don’t think he’s one of the full-on toxic culture war headcases. But their support is irrelevant because the membership will always pick the most reactionary option, and the filter that used to keep the worst from being put forward for the vote (‘moderate’ MPs) were purged by Johnson. So it’ll just be a battle between the Tory party and Reform for the most squalid bit of political territory going forward. Starmer will occupy the centre right ground.

I think the purge of the one nationers may be overstated. The ones who followed their convictions over Brexit and Johnson were booted, but a fair chunk stayed quiet, and they were generally in established safe seats, so survived July. My guess is that Tugendhat will have enough support to get through to the last round if he is the standard bearer for the sane wing,

I think the purge of the one nationers may be overstated. The ones who followed their convictions over Brexit and Johnson were booted, but a fair chunk stayed quiet, and they were generally in established safe seats, so survived July. My guess is that Tugendhat will have enough support to get through to the last round if he is the standard bearer for the sane wing,
There is no sane wing in the tory party

Baker had to go and work as a Tory brexiteer in Northern Ireland. That’s when it all seemed to come down on top when he couldn’t square the circle of his leave promotion coming into contact with the reality of the land border issue.
I might be wrong, but it was about that time he went a bit more public about personal stress related issues.
Anyway he is out of the House of Commons in Swinson territory.

Baker is a Brexiteer, but don’t think he’s one of the full-on toxic culture war headcases. But their support is irrelevant because the membership will always pick the most reactionary option, and the filter that used to keep the worst from being put forward for the vote (‘moderate’ MPs) were purged by Johnson. So it’ll just be a battle between the Tory party and Reform for the most squalid bit of political territory going forward. Starmer will occupy the centre right ground.
Depends on the leadership election rules. It’s possible, as with Sunak, the members don’t get a vote…

Depends on the leadership election rules. It’s possible, as with Sunak, the members don’t get a vote…

According to the constitution, the members have to be given the final vote. The 1922 Committee can determine other aspects of the leadership election rules, but they can't avoid this.

The reason Sunak was elected without a members' vote was because he was only candidate left after Johnson pulled out and Mordaunt bottled it at the last minute.

This was all previously discussed on this very thread when you made this nonsense claim about changing the rules to avoid a membership vote.

ETA thanks to tim for correction

Last edited:
It was Mordaunt who bottled at the last minute. More precisely three minutes before the deadline for nominations. Johnson didn't even get that far.

If Bad Enoch gets it, her condescending tone will cause much brick throwing. Never come across anyone whose manner and way of speaking down to people gets my back up more.
Did you see her the other day in the whole Victoria Atkins getting reprimanded by the speaker, thing. Atkins wasn't the only one who needs to learn some basic decorum.

I get the direction of the point you are trying to make. However whilst Reform are clearly a right wing populist party in what way are they openly fascist?
Fartage is joined at the hip, or should I say at the butt, of the orange one. He was at the maga convention rather than being in his constituency. He is very closely Iinked with Bannon, whose fingerprints are all over Brexit. They are all agents of chaos, wanting to smash the norms and replace them with authoritarian models. No doubt Fartage approves of Project 2025. I think it's quite easy to see how he is a fascist, ergo his party is as he is the party, or should I say company. The fact he paraded around spouting Nazi shit when younger is a bit of a give away.

Fartage is joined at the hip, or should I say at the butt, of the orange one. He was at the maga convention rather than being in his constituency. He is very closely Iinked with Bannon, whose fingerprints are all over Brexit. They are all agents of chaos, wanting to smash the norms and replace them with authoritarian models. No doubt Fartage approves of Project 2025. I think it's quite easy to see how he is a fascist, ergo his party is as he is the party, or should I say company. The fact he paraded around spouting Nazi shit when younger is a bit of a give away.
There's a lot of words there, a fantastical overreach of Bannon , but unfortunately nothing that actually explains how or why Reform are openly fascist.

Back
Top Bottom