Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory leadership contest 2024

Who will win the poisoned chalice and lead the tories?

• Kemi Badenoch

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Tom Tugendhat

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Priti Patel

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Jeremy Hunt

• Robert Jenrick

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • James Cleverly

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Boris Johnson

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • David Cameron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nigel Farage

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Liz Truss (for the LOLs)

• Other choice (mention in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think her particular type of loon tends to have a hard time working with and getting along with others.

Well I don't think they'll have any problem finding a right wing loon to put up (and they elected Liz Truss). I guess then you're into a 'types of loon' debate though which probably isn't a great route to set off down.

No, it's the fact that the MPs don't want her, and according to the polls nor do the membership, the campaign rules don't even come into it.
I suspect they’ll play a bigger role than we think…and the membership aren’t to be trusted to not be batshit.

Another good read on why Braverman's Trump style ranting and raving is turning people against her, and how every time she opens her mouth she loses more support.

The putative Tory leadership contender raised more than one eyebrow with her speech that called for the Conservatives to walk in the footsteps of Reform UK. She lambasted the “lunatic woke virus” (whatever that is) and spoke of her disgust at the pro-LGBT Progress flag flying above buildings “as if they were occupied territory”.

Braverman ranted about identity politics, particularly the trans rights movement and its impact on gender identity with younger people. But the most damaging thing about Braverman’s caustic rhetoric is that it distracts from legitimate concerns.

It’s therefore no surprise that Braverman’s leadership pitch is now foundering. Robert Jenrick, once a close ally, has been oddly dismissed by her as “from the Left of the party”. As one former leading supporter of her 2022 leadership bid puts it, “every time she opens her mouth I lose 1,000 votes”. With Sir John Hayes and Danny Kruger – two of the most robust socially conservative Tories – abandoning her campaign, there’s no doubt she has gone too far by going too Trumpian.

These other potential Tory leaders recognise that tone and style matters as much as the substance. Importing an aggressive American-style approach, at best, makes people laugh at the problem and allows the speakers to be dismissed as cranks. At worst, it actively hinders the cause and narrows the window of acceptable wide debate.

The British right is facing at least least five years in opposition and it must win these crucial arguments. Screaming wildly into the void is only going to make that go on longer. It doesn’t have to be this way. As Frank Luntz put it some years ago, “be thankful that you don’t have our poison”.

Interesting…could Cleverly be the everyman bridge between the factions?

He's always been a possible, as they need someone to appeal to both wings of the party, so not one of the real headbangers.

What's interesting about that poll is how different Tory voters are, compared to the membership, and the MPs will be more interested in who appeals to their voters, rather than the bonkers membership.

Paywall busted link - https://archive.ph/wEFK0

There's no such thing as a safe seat to drop Johnson into. Quite apart from it being a ridiculous idea anyway, he's as widely despised as he is adored by weird people - it wouldn't be a candidate election, it would be a referendum on whether to finish Johnson off forever more & very few seats were returning 50%+ Tory.

There's no such thing as a safe seat to drop Johnson into.
Au contraire. There are many constituencies into which to safely drop Johnson. Some of the Scottish seats contain large areas of low population density, in the Highlands for example. Or parts of rural Wales. Ejecting him from a c-130, for example, over one of these areas would be without any real risk to people on the ground

Au contraire. There are many constituencies into which to safely drop Johnson. Some of the Scottish seats contain large areas of low population density, in the Highlands for example. Or parts of rural Wales. Ejecting him from a c-130, for example, over one of these areas would be without any real risk to people on the ground
I suspect your definition of "safely drop" varies wildly from that of the Conservative party.

How about Rockall?
1720800449553.png

I would advocate dropping him into a seat which contains offshore islands, ideally midway between the mainland and the furthest island

Back
Top Bottom