Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory leadership contest 2024

Who will win the poisoned chalice and lead the tories?

• Kemi Badenoch

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Tom Tugendhat

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Priti Patel

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Jeremy Hunt

• Robert Jenrick

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • James Cleverly

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Boris Johnson

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • David Cameron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nigel Farage

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Liz Truss (for the LOLs)

• Other choice (mention in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The trouble with these membership polls is the sample numbers are just too small to be meaningful, the margin of error must be massive. And, that's before questioning how the samples are being selected.

The trouble with these membership polls is the sample numbers are just too small to be meaningful, the margin of error must be massive. And, that's before questioning how the samples are being selected.

And we don't yet know who will make it through the mp rounds yet (or who is standing even).

the numbers are absolutely fine (tho one should obviously not rely on someone on 7% really being ahead of someone on 6%). The selection is dubious tho. The other company I quoted upthread might be a bit better because they have been doing it longer and could have got better systems in place, but I wouldn't be keen to bet on it.

Cleverly is deffo running.

Here's a paywall busted link for the Times article - https://archive.ph/vsEmc

There is no denying the successes we achieved during our fourteen years in office that we should always be proud of. Delivering Brexit, getting more people into work, giving our children a better start in life through bold education reforms, cutting crime, devolving power to local people, and rescuing the economy and the public finances after thirteen years of Labour government — to name a few.

Rescuing the economy? :D

When I read that, I almost splattered my laptop with tea.

I’ve put a £7 bet on Badenoch at 2.5:1, so time for her to say something stupid and drop down into obscurity in the polls. But if she wins it I’ll literally have almost enough for a Chinese takeaway for one…. Whoooop!

There's all this talk about them taking time to appoint a new leader, and that could take months, but with the blue on blue attacks already under way, my gut feeling is they will want to get it resolved ASAP. Yesterday Badenoch went after Braverman, and Braverman went after Jenrick accusing him of being a centrist, when everyone else sees him as being on the right, but not as far right and bonkers Braverman.

Meanwhile Cleverly has taken a more sensible position, by suggesting the Tories must not descend into ‘bitter infighting', even if his suggestion is a bit too late. :D

As much as we may find it entertaining, I doubt those in the party will, it's such a damaging situation for them.

I would assume they'd want a new leader by conference season, which is a couple of months. That timetable seems about right

I saw it suggested that the leadership contest won't even start till September - which means Rishi Sunak will still be leader for the conference.

That's certainly been one suggestion, but with the blue on blue attacks already getting nasty, I suspect they will change their minds, and bring their nightmare to an end ASAP.

I saw it suggested that the leadership contest won't even start till September - which means Rishi Sunak will still be leader for the conference.

I'm surprised to hear that, I would have thought they'd want the new leader to be in place for the conference, but it appears to be correct

A timetable is yet to be announced, with a number of Tories suggesting they would favour a longer contest concluding later this year. Arriving at the Spectator magazine’s Westminster garden party on Tuesday evening, ex-party chair Richard Holden said he expected a new leader to be decided "at the back end of the year". Former Brexit secretary David Davis echoed this, saying he expected the result would not be known "until about Christmas".

A longer contest could potentially become an opportunity for the party to continue to tear itself apart over a number of months, so it's something of a risky strategy...

I guess for those who want the potential crown of being PM, now might not be the time to take up leadership, given the habit of them changing leader every two years or so. You need to be in the seat when the music stops to win.

A longer contest could potentially become an opportunity for the party to continue to tear itself apart over a number of months, so it's something of a risky strategy...

I guess rushing to pick a new leader also has it's own risks though and given the parties history the infighting may continue after they pick a leader anyway and letters get sent. Still not our problem :thumbs: :D

And, here we. :D

1720635653681.png

1720635601974.png

Tory leadership hopefuls Suella Braverman and Kemi Badenoch have publicly clashed over a damaging leak of Shadow Cabinet talks.

The latest bitter infighting in the defeated party follows claims Ms Badenoch said the former Home Secretary was having a "very public" nervous breakdown. Ms Badenoch did not deny making the comments in a post on X/ Twitter, but said it was a "shame our discussions in Shadow Cabinet were leaked yesterday".

Responding - alongside the hashtag "honesty" - Ms Braverman said: "I'd be interested in knowing whether Kemi thinks I'm having a 'very public nervous breakdown'". She later added: "Kemi, and the rest of the Cabinet, should not have nodded along, as they and Rishi took the party to disaster. The refusal to take responsibility is at the root of our problem. It was not someone else’s fault."

True Truss style, it's not me, it's EVERYONE ELSE!

Back
Top Bottom