Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory leadership contest 2024

Who will win the poisoned chalice and lead the tories?

• Kemi Badenoch

Votes: 25 31.6%
  • Tom Tugendhat

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Priti Patel

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Robert Jenrick

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • James Cleverly

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Boris Johnson

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • David Cameron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nigel Farage

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Liz Truss (for the LOLs)

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Other choice (mention in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Is there a mechanism to remove the honorific when the party descends into the depths of the toilet, going from 48 MPs to 9 MPs for example?
you can be asked, but its very rare and has to be for something more than being a shit politician. Profumo & Stonehouse resigned and one guy was sacked during the expenses scandals

It depends on who’s doing the voting; as it stands the members happily chose Truss so Braverman is the likely choice.

If it’s MPs, it becomes a bit more interesting so probably Badenoch. I’d be impressed if Tom Tug’on’me’hat became leader.

Hunt isn’t running btw.
If you read the guardian you'd know that it's really unlikely braverman would win. But you prefer posting from a stance of abject ignorance

If you read the guardian you'd know that it's really unlikely braverman would win. But you prefer posting from a stance of abject ignorance

Braverman has been calling on the party to let Farage in for weeks, when he's hated by most Tory MPs, she basically started her leadership campaign before the election, then on the night, rather than saying 'we let you down', she said, 'the party let you down', blaming the rest in true Truss style, as if she was not part of the problem. She has proven herself to be a disloyal loose cannon, and all round motor-mouth, not be trusted.

I doubt she will go forward to the membership, I doubt the next leader will want her as part of their senior team, keeping her firmly on the back benches, where she can cause the least trouble.

That'll seriously piss her off, and it wouldn't surprise me if as a result that she would throw her toys out of the pram, and end-up joining Reform.

Braverman has been calling on the party to let Farage in for weeks, when he's hated by most Tory MPs, she basically started her leadership campaign before the election, then on the night, rather than saying 'we let you down', she said, 'the party let you down', blaming the rest in true Truss style, as if she was not part of the problem. She has proven herself to be a disloyal loose cannon, and all round motor-mouth, not be trusted.

I doubt she will go forward to the membership, I doubt the next leader will want her as part of their senior team, keeping her firmly on the back benches, where she can cause the least trouble.

That'll seriously piss her off, and it wouldn't surprise me if as a result that she would throw her toys out of the pram, and end-up joining Reform.

Pretty sure she said "my party let you down", which reminded me of this

Pretty sure she said "my party let you down", which reminded me of this

We all know where she stands, and that she's wants to be leader, it seems clear to me what she was getting at...

"I am sorry my party didn't listen to you [& more particularly to me]. The Conservative Party has has let you down [not me, because I believe I listened, & kept banging on about it].

You, the Great British people voted for us over 14 years, and we did not keep our promises. We've acted as if we are entitled to your vote, regardless of what we did and regardless of what we didn't do [not make a massive right turn], despite promising time after time, that we would do those things [turn further to the right]. And, we need to learn a lesson [and turn to the right], because if we don't, as bad as things has been for my party tonight, we'll have many worst nights to come."

There's no 'we didn't listen', no 'we have let you down', it's all about blaming the party, not her role in it.

ETA -

Last edited:
For someone who used to 'work in politics' you are astoundingly uninformed.

It's both sets of voters. That is in the tory constitution.
Just like when Sunak was ‘elected’? You clearly are an imbecile. If you knew anything you’d know that the 1922 committee decides the rules on leadership elections and can change them to whatever they deem appropriate.

Seriously mate, anyone who knows this stuff is well aware of it (Sir Graham Brady has even publicly said exactly this). You really should stop talking until you actually know how this stuff works.

something in the cosmos is seriously fucked when he's seen as a 'sensible' option...
Right?

We have Johnson to thank for that, he basically purged all the centre right/ one nation types…

The best sane option for them would be Tom Tugendhat. Which means Braverman or Jenrick will probably end up winning…if it goes to members.

Jenrick is a proper crooked unpleasant cunt. Just what the ‘nasty party’ needs to continue their reputation.

Cleverley is somewhat self-regarding (unjustifiably) so it would seem likely he’ll have a go.

Just like when Sunak was ‘elected’? You clearly are an imbecile. If you knew anything you’d know that the 1922 committee decides the rules on leadership elections and can change them to whatever they deem appropriate.

Seriously mate, anyone who knows this stuff is well aware of it (Sir Graham Brady has even publicly said exactly this). You really should stop talking until you actually know how this stuff works.
Once you've changed your pants you might understand the difference between the elections of Truss and Sunak. If you glanced upthread you'd see the discussion re the constitution had already been had. One might assumed you had read it.

The relevant bit being in Schedule 2:

3 Upon the initiation of an election for the Leader, it shall be the duty of the 1922 Committee to present to the Party, as soon as reasonably practicable, a choice of candidates for election as Leader. The rules for deciding the procedure by which the 1922 Committee selects candidates for submission for election shallbe determined by the Executive Committee of the 1922 Committee after consultation of the Board.

They can change the rules regarding who they put forward but not about the vote going to the membership. It doesn't specify how many candidates could be put to the membership either, but it is highly unlikely to be more than 2. The only reason for it not going to the membership is because people dont get sufficient nominations in the first place, which is why we got Sunak's somewhat odd coronation. But Boris won't be standing again, so that situation isn't going to arise.

Most of the vermin seem to realise if they pick another right wing headbanger they’re staying out of parliament until at least 2030. At least so was the talk on media today. But I agree with it. Anti woke shit is done. The boat thing too. Labour aren’t going to be soft on immigration. That Braverman and the other freaks can’t see it is somewhat delicious.

According to the Express bit I quoted upthread, only 15 of the remaining MPs voted for Patel, Braverman or Badenoch last time and there are only 26 newbies. Whilst they might be expected to pick up a few ex-Sunak voters, it might be harder than you'd think at first.

a quick glance through the first few (their wikipedia pages, anyway).... a black army officer who stood against Diane abbott...a few bods with nothing notable about them...someone who worked for Braverman... a proud transphobe.... a gay centrist...an ex Daily Mail journal....several more with nothing notable... a former assistant to a now defeated Trussite and Gyles Brandreth's daughter.

Which looks a little like 2-1 for rightwingers. Or 4-2 more precisely, as that's the total number of them I can make a guess at, having looked at the first 13 that came up.

Ooh, there's Nick Timothy as well, T May's ex-Chief of Staff. Another wet then.

Given the levels of tory shit we've endured, Starmer is presumably in for two terms, so whoever takes over from Titchy Rich is gonna lose the next election. Cruella's supporters have relocated to Toad Hall, so she's out. I suspect Badenoch will win, do fuck all to win the Clacton pensioners back and be replaced by whatever passes for Call Me Dave in 2029. I predicted way-way back that Alex Chalk would be one to watch. He's just lost his seat, but let us see.

Braverman goes full anti-trans

Whilst you’d like to think that is going to end her chances, amongst Tory party members it’s probably music to their ears.

Interesting item at the end of that article

The first stage of the contest took place on Tuesday evening when the veteran backbencher Bob Blackman was elected as chair of the 1922 Committee, which represents Tory MPs and organises leadership races. Blackman received 61 MPs’ votes and Geoffrey Clifton-Brown received 37, amid some reported annoyance that people had been turned away after being told the incorrect voting time.

This is hilarious

It is hilarious, not only has she basically launched her leadership campaign, but has already stabbed Braverman in the back.

She said many Tories were clearly still traumatised. She said Suella Braverman, former home secretary, appears to be having a 'very public' nervous breakdown

TBF, she was having that 'very public nervous breakdown' long before the election night results.

She was said to be speaking for colleagues, particularly former ministers who had lost their seats. She spoke of the importance of shadow cabinet discussions not being leaked.

Oops! :D

Braverman goes full anti-trans

Whilst you’d like to think that is going to end her chances, amongst Tory party members it’s probably music to their ears.
Let's see what happens but now only 18 mps need to put letters of no confidence in. And there are 47 'centrist' mps

Braverman keeps on digging, every time she opens her mouth, the more I am convinced she'll never reach the short list of 2 for the membership, assuming it even goes to the membership, and Reform is looking forward to welcoming her into their sewer.

“Our problem is us,” she told the National Conservatism conference in Washington DC. “Our problem is that the liberal Conservatives who trashed the Tory party think it was everyone’s fault but their own. My party governed as liberals and we were defeated as liberals. But seemingly, as ever, it is Conservatives who are to blame.”

These constant attacks on the majority of the Tory MPs is clearly not going to help her, but nor are her extreme right-wing politics, it's already turning those on the right against her. There're various comments from moderate Tories in the article, but these are the more important ones...

Danny Kruger, an influential backbencher on the Tory right, has already shifted his support from Braverman to Jenrick. It is understood that another senior MP from this wing of the party, John Hayes, has done the same.

As I posted yesterday, she's a disloyal loose cannon, and all round motor-mouth, not be trusted.

Bollocks to having two threads on the next Tory leader context, I've just posted that same Guardian link on the other one, I'll report this post in the hope of getting them merged, because constant duplicate posts across two threads just makes things confusing.

Interesting item at the end of that article

I saw this discussed on Sky yesterday, apparently the 1922 Committee set the time for the meeting, but the Whip's office circulated the wrong time, so some MPs didn't make it in time to vote, but if all those had all voted for Geoffrey Clifton-Brown, fairly unlikely, Bob Blackman would still have won.

It was funny seeing one Tory MP ranting and raving about it, and demanding the process be carried out again, Tory chaos on the first day of the new Parliament sitting.

Back
Top Bottom