Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory leadership contest 2024

Who will win the poisoned chalice and lead the tories?

• Kemi Badenoch

Votes: 25 31.6%
  • Tom Tugendhat

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Priti Patel

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Robert Jenrick

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • James Cleverly

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Boris Johnson

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • David Cameron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nigel Farage

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Liz Truss (for the LOLs)

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Other choice (mention in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Serious head on: Ruth Evans if they could cook up a fix to allow her to stand. One of the few senior Tories I can imagine being in the presence of without poking my brain out with a stick through my ears. Plus might push British politics back towards the centre.
Do you mean Ruth Davidson?

Ah the mafia of the mediocre; we haven’t had a bun fight on here about that crew for ages

The truly mad thing is it’s how some of them described themselves
They cited two incidents this week in which BBC correspondents reported that Brexiteer Tory MPs had taken to calling themselves “The Grand Wizards” – a reference to the leadership of the white supremacist Ku Klux Klan – “without any explanation of context” and “appeared to find the use of this phrase amusing”.

remember this one

As to the poll, 'None of the above'.

It will be two years before the Conservatives are a party, rather than a group of opposing factions, again.

They lost, lost badly and deserved to lose. For the first time, I would not have voted for them if this constituency had been Conservative. As it was, as always, I voted for Labour as the lesser evil.

The outgoing government is probably the worst government I have ever seen.

The poisoned chalice though is the one handed to Starmer. His feet will be to the fire from Monday.

This always gets me, how the most dishonourable people on the planet get called The Right Honourable. I always wondered if it was said in jest, or they have their fingers crossed when they say it, but, apparently, they're not saying it to take the piss.
It's like saying "Please welcome the UK's most trusted childminder, Jimmy Savile"
sorry to dump on your parade ... The Right Honourable .... MP refers to someone who's on the Privy Council ...
[although some holders of that duty have turned out to be real PoS]

This could have the flavour of a Republican primary more- people continuously outflanking one another from the right & much quotable doing-the-crazy-dance speeches in the contest.

Expect pledges to privatise fresh air, re introduce chimney sweep apprenticeships for 7-12 year olds, etc.

If they go for a hard-right leader then the Tories may be on a Whig trajectory…
Fresh air has already, effectively, been privatised with the introduction of carbon emissions trading, which enabled big business to pollute the air we breathe, for a price, and to make money by buying and selling the certificates that give permission for companies to do so.

Despite your hysterical claims, the reality is that on Thursday voters between 18 and 24 were the least likely to vote for the Tories or Deform and most likely to vote Labour, Green, or for the Liberals.
have we got that breakdown yet? The actual vote breakdown, not pre-election polling?

They're MPs. I've yet to meet an honourable one.
Not all of them ... direct C&P from wikipedia [here - Privy Council (United Kingdom) - Wikipedia ]

The sovereign may appoint any person as a Privy Counsellor,[48] but in practice, appointments are made only on the advice of His Majesty's Government. The majority of appointees are senior politicians, including ministers of the Crown, the leader of the main opposition party, the leader of the third-largest party in the House of Commons, the heads of the devolved administrations, and senior politicians from Commonwealth countries. Besides these, the Council includes a small number of members of the Royal Family, some senior British and Commonwealth judges, some senior clergy, and a small number of senior civil servants.

Fresh air has already, effectively, been privatised with the introduction of carbon emissions trading, which enabled big business to pollute the air we breathe, for a price, and to make money by buying and selling the certificates that give permission for companies to do so.

We’re not yet walking about wearing metered air tanks. Look on the bright side.

It's sad but not uncommon for people when they get old to develop an irrational fear and hatred of the young.

Despite your hysterical claims, the reality is that on Thursday voters between 18 and 24 were the least likely to vote for the Tories or Deform and most likely to vote Labour, Green, or for the Liberals. Your cohort is much more likely to vote for the Right, including the fruitcake and Fascists of Deform than anyone in a cohort younger than you.

I shan't bother commenting on the poll you cling to as an example of the depravity of the youth of today, as that has already Bern convincingly debunked upthread.

When I was young I was mildly irked by miserable old cunts who slagged of people of my age. Now I'm old, I feel more strongly about those from my own generation or in the generation below me who have become decrepid paranoid fucks.

As the populist right surges throughout Europe (propelled by highly significant numbers of youth votes), as Trump prepares for re-election and as Reform bank over 4M votes and 5 MPs from a standing start this is an embarrassment.

I’ve got nothing to say on your wistful ruminations on ageing because it’s largely incoherent rage and its got fuck all with the debate at hand.

The demography is destiny argument has always been bollocks, normally held by those who’ve given up trying to effect change, and it’s still bollocks now.

Looking forward to Braverman and Jenrick publicly tearing into each other for the Tory leadership bid. Paint it black bobby!

I dunno what that means.

Remember it’s the membership that vote. Have a think how mentally and morally messed up you’d have to be to join the Tory party, especially after the last few years, and consider what those people would be looking for in a candidate. Anything left of Nick Griffin is a no no. Davidson is a non-starter.

The MPs are mostly reactionary bellends now after Johnson’s purges too, so not like the members will curate a moderate selection for the members to pick from.

think robert jenrick might be in shout of being the rightwings standard bearer - more mps want keep to cruellla and badenoch out.

Interestingly, the Express has done an analysis of the remaining MP's and seem to have found they aren't as right wing as you might expect.

Digging into the data about who the remaining 121 Tory MPs backed in 2022 suggests there’s going to be a lot of noise and heat in the battle for the right, while Tugendhat may have a quiet and easy ride into the final two run-off
47% of sitting Tory MPs backed either Sunak, Mordaunt or Tugendhat - Penny’s defeat makes the path even easier for TT While 17% backed Liz Truss, and just 12% backed the ‘cultural conservatives’ including Patel, Braverman and Badenoch
What else does this tell us? That the leadership hopefuls better get working on the 26 new intake Tory MPs stat if they want to make it to the final two.
It also suggests there could be more trouble ahead. Conventional wisdom suggests Tory members will pick the most right-wing candidate, but if nearly half of MPs prefer the centrist just 18 MPs are required under current rules to spark a vote of no confidence

Apparently the fair Sue Ellen has been offending Tory MP's with her appearance at the Popular Conservatism conference with such other luminaries as Liz Truss and Jacob Rees-Mogg - blotting her copybook perhaps...

It depends on who’s doing the voting; as it stands the members happily chose Truss so Braverman is the likely choice.

If it’s MPs, it becomes a bit more interesting so probably Badenoch. I’d be impressed if Tom Tug’on’me’hat became leader.

Hunt isn’t running btw.

It depends on who’s doing the voting; as it stands the members happily chose Truss so Braverman is the likely choice.

If it’s MPs, it becomes a bit more interesting so probably Badenoch. I’d be impressed if Tom Tug’on’me’hat became leader.

Hunt isn’t running btw.
For someone who used to 'work in politics' you are astoundingly uninformed.

It's both sets of voters. That is in the tory constitution.

I think it's going to be Mickey Mouse Robert Jenrick. That's not good. But I don't see who is on a relatively moderate ticket after Penny failed to make a splash.

Not all of them ... direct C&P from wikipedia [here - Privy Council (United Kingdom) - Wikipedia ]

The sovereign may appoint any person as a Privy Counsellor,[48] but in practice, appointments are made only on the advice of His Majesty's Government. The majority of appointees are senior politicians, including ministers of the Crown, the leader of the main opposition party, the leader of the third-largest party in the House of Commons, the heads of the devolved administrations, and senior politicians from Commonwealth countries. Besides these, the Council includes a small number of members of the Royal Family, some senior British and Commonwealth judges, some senior clergy, and a small number of senior civil servants.
Is there a mechanism to remove the honorific when the party descends into the depths of the toilet, going from 48 MPs to 9 MPs for example?

Back
Top Bottom