Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2022

It's just endless heartbreak for him isn't it? Poor bastard :(

I think this pretty much spells the end of his career. He must be wondering what he's gonna do next. So young to have your career, and probably the only thing he's ever focused on as a future, taken away.

So poorly managed.

Stress fractures are of course common for fast bowlers, especially younger bowlers. Fast bowling is such an unnatural thing to try to do with your body.

Trying to be positive here, stress fractures are something fast bowlers can come back from as their bodies harden up. The concern there would be that at 27 Archer isn't that young any more. His body is probably now about as strong as it's going to get. Shane Bond was a quick who kept getting stress fractures. Ruined his career really. You do fear that Archer is going the same way.

Shane Bond has been making a mint as head coach of Sydney n the BBL and a bowling coach in the IPL. Archer doesn't strike me as the sort of guy who could take that route. Not the most eloquent of characters. So god knows what he's gonna do. Hopefully at least he'll be able to make it back to four overs every few days in T20 anyway.

That reminds me of something a physio friend said to me once: fitness is activity-specific. He used to work at Lord's gym and he would despair at the things Flintoff was put through there during his rehab. Loads of gym work and no bowling. But bowling was the thing he needed to be fit for.

That looks likes literally a walk in the park.

Shame their big guns are still in India but doesn't look to be a problem.

It's 13 against 13, it's Sussex, it's at Hove - it's meaningless. (Yes I know Robinson bowled 11 overs). Sussex, who are really bad, have been wracking up loads of runs at Hove this season.

Ollie Robinson just took over as captain while Haines was off the field. A bunch of kids, apparently wanted his autograph but it was the end of the over and he was going to have to field elsewhere. So, he reset the field so he could stay put and sign a gang of kids bats. He’s gone up in my estimation.

India disrespected England and test cricket by fucking off early to the IPL. They need firm spanking, however I can’t see our top 3 Lees, Crawley & Pope setting a solid example. Plus they’ll have big support at Edgbaston.

Tempted to make the journey - best food at a decent price at any ground I’ve visited. Bhajis and samosas galore :thumbs:

County Select XI squad to play NZ is probably more interesting than the Test Squad. Outside Robinson and Sibley, it may be the next cabs off the rank (of those not playing T20).. Compton, Patel, Porter and others

Jack Blatherwick (Lancashire), Michael Burgess (Warwickshire), Ben Compton (Kent), Ben Gibbon (Worcestershire), Nick Gubbins (Hampshire), Tom Haines (Sussex), Lyndon James (Nottinghamshire), Ryan Patel (Surrey), Liam Patterson-White (Nottinghamshire), Jamie Porter (Essex), Ollie Robinson (Sussex), Dom Sibley (Warwickshire).

I’m weirdly excited to see Sibley and Compton together - possible the most boring openers about.

Hopefully Patel gets a chance to step up. He's scored at 60 per 100 balls this season, whereas Burns, Compton, Cook, Sibley etc are all around 40. Plus he offers dippy medium pace.

Nichols and Boult doubtful for NZ. Williamson still bang out of form and coming back from injury. Logic suggests that the Kiwis will be vulnerable in the first match. But they've defied these kinds of things before, and Matt Henry has done rather well recently as the Boult substitute - in addition to having done very well in his CC stints. NZ bowling line-up looks well-suited to England in early June.

Apparently, tickets on sale for each day of the Lord's Test. Who knew a £170 price point was prohibitive? Or a restricted view for £100 was unattractive?

I would likely have paid through the nose but I do not want my love of cricket to be muddied with the “Jubilee Test” bootlicking festival.

Buttler has just been the leading scorer in the IPL by 200 runs or something. Second only to Kohli in the history of the whole thing.

What's Key doing? Is Buttler up for the test team or something? I'd definitely have him in there. McCullum's sort of player too.

I know it's a great day out. But it's not exactly making cricket more 'inclusive'

It remains to be seen if a full house results, with thousands of tickets unsold and a debate over the pricing – between £100 and £160 in the main – raging this week. Broad noted the unique nature of the jubilee bank holiday but also conceded that, more generally, pricing may need to be revisited given the current economic climate.

And NZ are not exactly a box office team either. Despite being quite good.

sorry but wtf does the jubilee have to do with ticket prices? If anything, it should be cheaper, or free. That's the kind of thing you're supposed to get in jubilees.

Buttler has just been the leading scorer in the IPL by 200 runs or something. Second only to Kohli in the history of the whole thing.

What's Key doing? Is Buttler up for the test team or something? I'd definitely have him in there. McCullum's sort of player too.

He’s always been good at T20 and always shite at test cricket. McCullum is not a magician.

Well, no. But I'm a born optimist and I think McCullum is a very interesting appointment. No idea what Key has do with selection though?

Hopefully if Buttler is in the side he'll be told to just play. Not try to be Boycott, just play. Like Warner did.

Buttler will take the white ball captaincy once Morgan retires in the near future. He’s not a test player although I understand the dream of an English Gilchrist. We need to give Foakes a good crack at the job. Imagine him and Parkinson fulfilling 80% of their potential.

Back
Top Bottom