Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2022

I’m about a 3rd of the way through McCullum’s autobiography “Declared” and it’s not a flattering read. Grievance after grievance, presented in a way he clearly hopes will spin well for him. He demonstrates he’s a blagger and denies, unconvincingly, being a grifter. He denies being cliquey, which again is demonstrably false. Of particular concern is his thin skin when it comes to hacks talking shit in the press. The malice from the NZ press will be fuck all compared with the attacks the UK’s tabloids are capable of.

His appointment has potential to be a disaster…especially as the ECB have chosen him on the strength of a Powerpoint presentation, a lesson they haven't learned from the previous appointment.

Last edited:
Reported team for NZ:

1. Lees
2. Crawley
3. Pope (!?)
4. Root
5. Bairstow/Lawrence
6. Stokes
7. Foakes
8. Robinson/C. Overton
9. Leach (Parkinson left out of squad)
10. Potts/Broad
11. Anderson

A conservative selection especially considering the form of Harry Brook, the pace of Jamie Overton and the solid season from Sam Robson.

A preferable XI albeit with a long tail mitigated with Bairstow replacing Foakes:

1. Compton
2. Robson
3. Root
4. Vince
5. Brook
6. Stokes
7. Bairstow
8. J. Overton
9. Broad
10. Anderson
11. Parkinson

Both those selections look shit tbh.

On your point about McCullum, I get a bad vibe off him too. He basically mounted a coup to get rid of Ross Taylor as captain, humiliating him in the process so god knows what strings hes pulled here to get the highest paid coaching job in world cricket. He just doesnt seem a nice bloke.

…and one key member of his clique during his ascension to NZ captaincy was Matthew Mott.

The very same Mott who’s likely to be named white ball coach.

Both those selections look shit tbh.
I wouldn’t be so negative. The England team have been less than the sum of their parts of recent. Remember, we have the No. 4 ranked batsmen, 5th highest ranked allrounder, possibly the best wicket keeper and the 3rd and 6th all time wicket takers (who are still in remarkably good shape).

Apparently Pope is going to bat at 3. Bit random. Never heard of Brook or Potts as I don't follow the county game. Any good?

Apparently Pope is going to bat at 3. Bit random. Never heard of Brook or Potts as I don't follow the county game. Any good?

They’re the in-form players. Brook is averaging over 150 this season. Potts has 35 wickets at about 18 (albeit in division 2)

Well the good news is Williamson is out of form in the IPL. Boult and Southee on the other hand are in top form.

Dan Lawrence ffs. What has he done wrong?

Well he averages less than 30 in tests and less than 20 in the CC so far this year. I wouldn't have been against giving him another try but he's hardly got a rock solid case has he? And people have been moaning for years about form CC players not being picked - right now that's clearly Harry Brook isn't it so someone has to make way.

Everyone apart from Root and Stokes averages about 30 or less.

Some players get proper goes, some get dropped easily. Change your name and play for Surrey Dan.

Yeah it's certainly not a squad that fills you with confidence is it. Who knows Brook might turn out to be one that sticks but he'll struggle if he's coming in at 40-3 same as all the others have and the top order still looks weak.

It's not hard to see why they're sticking with Pope and not Lawrence thought is it. His FC stats are miles ahead of Lawrence's - he might never do it at international level but then neither might Lawrence and if you have to take a punt on someone then he's still more likely to make it and his ceiling is obviously higher.

Pope has now played in 23 tests. That's a decent sample size and his average over that period is 28. He's the new Ramprakash, basically - shitloads of runs in the CC, lots of starts in tests but keeps getting out for 20-odd when looking set. Tons of ability, questionable temperament.

I think he's very lucky to have another chance, tbh.

Frustrating thing is, of course, that the trio of Pope, Lawrence and Crawley all look brilliant when they get in. And they all average under 30. All of them have shown an inability to show judgement and restraint at the right times.

(un)Fortunately Boult's been leading the attack so well in the IPL it looks like he'll miss the first test as his side will be in the final.

As for the new blood, who's selecting the side these days? I doubt McCullum has been following county cricket.

Pope has now played in 23 tests. That's a decent sample size and his average over that period is 28. He's the new Ramprakash, basically - shitloads of runs in the CC, lots of starts in tests but keeps getting out for 20-odd when looking set. Tons of ability, questionable temperament.

I think he's very lucky to have another chance, tbh.

Frustrating thing is, of course, that the trio of Pope, Lawrence and Crawley all look brilliant when they get in. And they all average under 30. All of them have shown an inability to show judgement and restraint at the right times.

Sure, but he's also only just turned 24 and has batted in an exceptionally shaky England team - like all the middle order players over the last few years he's had to continually come in in shit situations a lot of the time.

FWIW I agree that he's lucky to have another chance right now but I think that luck is largely that no-one else has been able to do any better, including Lawrence. Chances are you can pick either and they'll continue to average 30 to be honest (maybe Brook or someone else coming through will be the one to break than pattern). More likely to succeed is still Pope though.

…and one key member of his clique during his ascension to NZ captaincy was Matthew Mott.

The very same Mott who’s likely to be named white ball coach.

Mott appointed. At least McCullum likely is the dominant partner in that relationship benefiting the red ball team by having first dibs on selection.

Last edited:
The difference for me is that Lawrence (mostly) looks like he should be there, looks like he knows what he is doing. I think he is class and given the chance will come good.

Whereas England seem to think all those things about Pope. And I haven't seen the evidence for that. I don't think Pope is class.

If he's injured, he's injured. But I still think they'd have picked Pope above Lawrence regardless. They are almost the same age. Have almost the same average (Lawrence is slightly better). But Pope has had 23 Tests to Lawrence's 11.

I was impressed by Pope when I first saw him, got to say. Looked like he might be the new Ian Bell. Very technically pleasing on the eye. It's obvious he has ability. We'll see. This might well be his final chance.

The difference for me is that Lawrence (mostly) looks like he should be there, looks like he knows what he is doing. I think he is class and given the chance will come good.

Whereas England seem to think all those things about Pope. And I haven't seen the evidence for that. I don't think Pope is class.

If he's injured, he's injured. But I still think they'd have picked Pope above Lawrence regardless. They are almost the same age. Have almost the same average (Lawrence is slightly better). But Pope has had 23 Tests to Lawrence's 11.

There’s certainly a whiff of grooming Pope as future leader due to being from the officer class. Lawrence doesn’t have that advantage and it’s easy to see the higher standards expected of him. I hope this is wrong.

Looks like Nicholls is injured now for NZ which will actually be quite a blow. Not the most glamorous or noticable of players but he holds the middle order together very effectively. McCullum's stars are aligning here.

Bad news: Jofra now has a stress fracture in his back. He’s out of all cricket this summer, at least.

Back
Top Bottom