Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2022

So, Root's stepping down. And no obvious candidate to take his place. You can't expect Stokes to play all three formats, with a young family, a history of mental health issues and captain the side, which is not an easy job.

Where do they go.

So, Root's stepping down. And no obvious candidate to take his place. You can't expect Stokes to play all three formats, with a young family, a history of mental health issues and captain the side, which is not an easy job.

Where do they go.

C5623BDA-AFF4-4F45-BC29-373C4B68C03F.jpeg

Stokes is the obvious answer because he's the only answer from within current players who are certain picks. But I don't think anyone thinks that is ideal.

Broad would represent an almighty U-turn. Fuck knows.

Stokes will be captain at some point, that is obvious. However, after the torrid time he’s had physically and mentally recently I would give him 18 months to getting back where he wants to be. Then if he’s game give him the captaincy.

How to fill that gap of 18 months? I present Mr Broad for a last, epic swipe at the Aussies next summer. He’s bright, ruthless and wants to win the next match. Which incomprehensibly has not been the case of recent. Hand it to Slytherin.

I don't think it's a bad idea. It will involve Strauss admitting he was wrong about the West Indies tour, though. I mean it's very clear that he was wrong about the West Indies tour, but will he admit it?

Root jumped before he was pushed as the likely next head honcho is Rob Key who was highly critical of Joe’s piss poor decision making. The darkside of Key is he’s also absolutely fine with not bringing back Anderson or Broad.

Stokes will be captain at some point, that is obvious. However, after the torrid time he’s had physically and mentally recently I would give him 18 months to getting back where he wants to be. Then if he’s game give him the captaincy.

How to fill that gap of 18 months? I present Mr Broad for a last, epic swipe at the Aussies next summer. He’s bright, ruthless and wants to win the next match. Which incomprehensibly has not been the case of recent. Hand it to Slytherin.

Yeh but Stokes is on record in the past saying he doesn't want it. They've totally fucked themselves with no succession plan.

I don't follow much county cricket, and i know this will be controversial, but Rory Burns captains his county and has occasionally shown he can bat. I know. Straws.

Broad should have been made captain years ago. He's a born leader and Cummins has shown a fast bowler can actually do it.

Yeh but Stokes is on record in the past saying he doesn't want it. They've totally fucked themselves with no succession plan.

We’ll see over comes days if Stokes was being sincere or just not being a dick to his mate when he claimed that.

We’ll see over comes days if Stokes was being sincere or just not being a dick to his mate when he claimed that.

I don't actually think he'd be a good Test captain anyway. But hey, he's the only other player on the team sheet automatically so there's no other choice. They'd have to pull him out of the 50 over game at least though, that workload is not sustainable. Actually T20 as well.

I don't actually think he'd be a good Test captain anyway. But hey, he's the only other player on the team sheet automatically so there's no other choice. They'd have to pull him out of the 50 over game at least though, that workload is not sustainable. Actually T20 as well.
Regarding white ball forms, England should do what South Africa have been doing for years, which is ration their top bowlers and only play them in major tournaments plus a restricted number of games in between. Outside the major tournaments, white ball matches are largely meaningless and should be treated as such.

It will be Stokes.

Of course. But that will not go well. Such terrible planning. He'll bowl himself into the ground as like me he cannot delegate. Yes I just compared myself to Ben Stokes. But I do not trust anyone else to do my work and I suspect he's the same.

Broad would use all the reviews in his first spell. So. We're fucked.

I can't help thinking that Stokes as captain will be a disaster, as Botham and Flintoff were before him. I agree that he'll probably bowl himself too much when things are going badly.

Imran Khan and Garry Sobers were both successful captains, so it can happen with all-rounders.

Of course. But that will not go well. Such terrible planning. He'll bowl himself into the ground as like me he cannot delegate. Yes I just compared myself to Ben Stokes. But I do not trust anyone else to do my work and I suspect he's the same.

Broad would use all the reviews in his first spell. So. We're fucked.

Broad Capt.
Stokes Vice Capt. + DRS privileges - Stoke wont be shy about telling Broad to do one.

Last edited:
I'm sure Broad is well aware of what he's like with DRS. There could be a workaround that - eg if the keeper doesn't go with him, he doesn't get it. With the bat, he'd be at or near number 11 anyway so no issue. A number 11 should always review. Plus being captain would concentrate his mind and make him more selective for himself.

In cricketing terms I don't think there is a problem with Broad as captain. He's got a good cricket brain. But I'm not betting on it.

My 2nd June team for Lords vs NZ

Sir A Cook - to teach patience to young Crawley
Zac Crawley - No cover drives until you’ve got 50 on the board
Joe Root - with more time to work on his off spin
Moeen Ali - Fit in IPL then join the squad.
Bairstow- a promotion to 5
Stokes - Vice Captain - rabble rouser and DRS judge
Foakes - W for the next 3 matches. If it doesnt work out, Bairstow it is
Broad - C unleash Malfoy
Mahmood - for his old ball skills and youth for donkey work
Anderson -
Parkinson

3 spinners
4 seamers
2 keepers

Last edited:
Why not give it to Eoin Morgan for the summer, if it's just to be a temporary appointment? He's a shrewd captain and would command respect, as well as being a useful stopgap to allow the new set up time to think through the long term Root replacement.

Why not give it to Eoin Morgan for the summer, if it's just to be a temporary appointment? He's a shrewd captain and would command respect, as well as being a useful stopgap to allow the new set up time to think through the long term Root replacement.
England's batting is weak enough as it is. tbh Morgan probably ought to give up the white ball captaincy now and retire from international cricket. He's not worth his place for his batting any more.

Temporary until what? There's nobody in the wings from what I can tell. If the firm I work for didn't have a succession plan, well, we'd go out of business. Shareholders would leg it. There has been no planning here.

Morgan or Broad couldn't do worse than Root but Broad's too old and I doubt Morgan would take it.

Those who know the county game, is there anyone coming through the ranks?

Back
Top Bottom