Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2022

Crawley out driving again. Got away with a couple, out to the third.

Kane Williamson would have defended that with soft hands and any edge would have fallen short. Crawley tried to smash it to the boundary, edge flew to second slip.

It seems to be how he plays - trying to smash good balls - but it's not working very well. Well bowled by Seales, though. Got it up there for the drive, knowing Crawley would go for it.

I don't think you can compare Kane Williamson with Zak Crawley!

One is (high) test quality, the other is county quality, although I'm not even sure he'd do well at that level. Williamson has been playing with those soft hands since the under 12s apparently where he was scoring hundreds and hundreds and has continued to do so, not sure you can teach that. You can teach judgement though. Someone's gotta have a word in Crawley's ear.

I don't think you can compare Kane Williamson with Zak Crawley!

One is (high) test quality, the other is county quality, although I'm not even sure he'd do well at that level. Williamson has been playing with those soft hands since the under 12s apparently where he was scoring hundreds and hundreds and has continued to do so, not sure you can teach that. You can teach judgement though. Someone's gotta have a word in Crawley's ear.
Lots of people have copied Williamson, though. Gotta learn from the best.

Anyway, first job, avoid the innings defeat.

I've never actually seen a white guy play for the Windies I don't think (that is in no way meant to be racist or controversial, just an observation)

Brendan Nash (a Western Australian) was the last, 15 years or so ago? Before that Geoff Greenidge in the early 70s. So few and far between.

That was a good hour and a bit from Lees and Bairstow. I have no problem with them playing like that in these circumstances. One more good hour could see a soft ball and about 125-4 at close, say a lead of 30 or so. And that would represent a good fightback.

Pitch looks devoid of demons now. Just don't get yourself out.

I'm actually really pissed off about how shit England have been on this tour. I never mind when they get beat by a decent team but this windies side is pretty average. England have been utter dogshit in all 3 games but particularly in this last test.

Still got LEACHIEEEEE and Mahmood to come though. :facepalm: :D :D :D

I'm actually really pissed off about how shit England have been on this tour. I never mind when they get beat by a decent team but this windies side is pretty average. England have been utter dogshit in all 3 games but particularly in this last test.

Still got LEACHIEEEEE and Mahmood to come though. :facepalm: :D :D :D
England have made a strange habit of losing to average Windies sides in the last 20 years. England have won in India, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and Sri Lanka since the last time they won in West Indies.

Deficit wiped out and Lees is still batting. Sounds good. Problem is Woakes is at the other end. It's still not quite over.

And as I type...

Yeah
England have made a strange habit of losing to average Windies sides in the last 20 years. England have won in India, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and Sri Lanka since the last time they won in West Indies.
I know, I know. But the Ashes were so disappointing because of a really lacklustre performance but at least a decent Aussie side. This is just a wet performance. No bottle at all.

Yeah

I know, I know. But the Ashes were so disappointing because of a really lacklustre performance but at least a decent Aussie side. This is just a wet performance. No bottle at all.
tbf I don't have too many complaints about the first two matches. The batters set up declarations both times, so they did their job. The bowling wasn't great but glimmers of hope with the promise of Mahmood and Fisher at least.

But yes, the performance this test has been wet. That's a good word for it.

I don't get the selections of Woakes and Overton. Didn't get it in the first test, don't get it in this one. Maybe they'll score some runs now and make things interesting?

First test that has had a decent home support. Pleased for those that are there. Main reason for the lack of home fans in the first two tests was a requirement for proof of vaccination. They got rid of that for this one.

Well played WI. They bowled with skill and the fielding was exemplary, following on from a hugely disciplined batting display in the morning. Full credit to them today.

But Crawley, Root, Lawrence, Stokes, Bairstow, Foakes and Overton can look back on dismissals that ranged from poor to appalling. That's seven out of eight who contributed to their own downfall. Alex Lees is the only one who's excused.

Cant argue with this:

Joe Root, world-class batsman, has one great misfortune: he has to play under Joe Root, third-class captain. He’s a timid selector, a hopeless reader of a pitch and a terrible tactician. He may come from Yorkshire, but he’s the diametric opposite of Ray Illingworth, Len Hutton or Michael Vaughan – not canny, not calculating, unable to mould his team into more than the sum of their parts. He’s not the conductor of the orchestra: he’s the first violin.

Mike Atherton in the Sunday Times:​

But we're back to the problem that there's nobody good enough to actually be guaranteed selection, except Stokes whose form has not been great since his dad died and he took time off. Root is not and never will be a leader unfortunately. I cant imagine his team talks are particularly Churchillian.

Back
Top Bottom