Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2022

W.Indies went to pieces there. At about 70 overs they decided they'd go for the new ball. Wtf?
It was at this point that I tuned in yesterday. Utterly baffling. Every bit as bad as when England lost the plot vs Shami and Bumrah. Like they'd somehow forgotten what it was they were out there to do. Strange how experienced pros can collectively lose it like that. Why wasn't Roach demanding the ball?

Watching Leach bat yesterday made me wonder whether it was necessary for Stokes to shield him so much at Headingley. He has proper technique.

Watching Leach bat yesterday made me wonder whether it was necessary for Stokes to shield him so much at Headingley. He has proper technique.
Thing with tailenders is that they don't actually get in very often. When they do get their eye in, they can look quite good. England made Bumrah look good at Lord's last year. Just needed a few overs under his belt, and England generously gave them to him.

Just weird to forget the basics. Against the tail, maybe the odd bumper to scare them but basically either bowl fast, full and straight or if you have a quality spinner, bowl rippers that will hit the stumps. But bowl at the stumps.

Still, they've generously made a game of it. Consensus yesterday was that the pitch would crack under the sun and give the spinners a chance in the fourth innings. Windies need a first innings lead, and probably a sizeable one. Today might be the best day to bat.

Uneven bounce on the second morning. Big slice of luck for England tbh.

Think this innings is crucial. I can see both sides not scoring too many in the second innings.

That's two drops from Foakes in the series now. I'm sure he's not happy about that. Bit of a marginal lbw on Blackwood, I thought, but out it is. Joel Wilson isn't the greatest of umpires, but he isn't biased!

Fairly decent day for West Indies in the end. A very strange match with two sessions belonging to the bowlers followed by a final session in which the lower order bats comfortably.

Clearly the old ball is going very soft, but the Woakes/Overton new ball pair really isn't right. It's hard to think why the selectors thought it might be. Woakes is totally out of form, and I'm not sure Craig Overton is even the best bowler in his family.

His brother Jamie is (or was) significantly faster. tbf he seems to have regressed recently, but once upon a time, Jamie looked the more likely test player.

Was also a bit of a nod to a comment made about Steve Waugh when he was first selected for Australia.

Anyhow, it continues to be the case that this is a second tier contest between two very flawed, and thus evenly matched, teams. Fuck knows who's on top right now - neither team seems capable of grabbing the initiative. It's compelling in its way.

Yes, he is. Polar opposite to Buttler character wise. He's a bit of a preener off the pitch I gather and yes, doesn't shut up. Buttler was too quiet though for a keeper I think.

Well that was crazy. He was already getting slaps on the back with his teammates and preparing to keep wicket when they overturned it

I've never actually seen a white guy play for the Windies I don't think (that is in no way meant to be racist or controversial, just an observation)

Back
Top Bottom