Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2022

Temporary until what? There's nobody in the wings from what I can tell. If the firm I work for didn't have a succession plan, well, we'd go out of business. Shareholders would leg it. There has been no planning here.

Morgan or Broad couldn't do worse than Root but Broad's too old and I doubt Morgan would take it.

Those who know the county game, is there anyone coming through the ranks?

The last best hope from the counties was, um, Haseeb Hameed :(

The more I think about it, the more I fear throwing Stokes prematurely into capataincy.

Vaughan can’t keep his gob shut and seems to get his way. He’s backing Stokes.

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more I fear throwing Stokes prematurely into capataincy.

Vaughan can’t keep his gob shut and seems to get his way. He’s backing Stokes.

I thought Vaughan was cancelled?

Almost as if the woke boogeyman isn't as all-powerful as we've been led to believe :hmm:

Ashley Giles said we need to forgive him for what he claims not to have said. So, all is well, apparently.

I really don't like Vaughan. But there is absolutely no evidence of Vaughan being a racist. There's ample evidence of the guy accusing him of being a racist however. His credibility is not exactly intact.

I really don't like Vaughan. But there is absolutely no evidence of Vaughan being a racist. There's ample evidence of the guy accusing him of being a racist however. His credibility is not exactly intact.

Three team mates have called him out for that particular incident of him complaining there were too many Asians in the team and some should be done about that.
He also tweeted that Moeen Ali should go around knocking on random muslims doors to lecture them on terrorism.
He also retweeted (now deleted) an article from the neo nazi rag Breitbart.
There is more but I cant be bothered

Hahaha. Vic Marks in the Guardian today putting forward a totally non-partisan argument for it to be Buttler.

"(he has) a Test batting average higher than Rory Burns."

:D

Rob Key confirmed as director of men's cricket.

I know little about him besides the fact he was never good enough to get established in the England side himself, he seems like a bit of a knob and he looks like a failed yorkshire pudding.

"Although at this current moment it has been a challenging time in English cricket, I also think it's as exciting a time as I can remember," Key said.
His first statement and the turd polishing begins.

Key on the county game…
He has previously outlined a draft schedule for the English season featuring a one-day competition in April, a 'best of the rest' first-class tournament running parallel to the Hundred, and three divisions of six teams in the Championship.

A 6 team top flight Championship contest would help concentrate talent in the long run. The best players are spread too thinly across 18 counties ending up with big fish in small ponds not fighting against the best.

Plus getting one dayers started in April makes sense. The colder the weather, the shorter the format. Who wants to sit outside in April for too long? T20 for 3 hours and a few beers is much more tempting proposition.

So would that be two rounds of five matches meaning 10 in total? That is roughly what happens in most other countries, but I'm not convinced it is right for here. And it would be pretty dismal for the teams in the third division - England hopefuls already leave the likes of Derby or Leics and this would only make that even more likely to happen.

I think two divisions of nine, playing each other home and away, so 16 games in total, 2 up 2 down, was a good structure. Over the course of two decades, every team has been in the top division at some point.

Meanwhile, the t20 blast was a good competition with decent crowds that were growing by year, and attracting lots of kids (providing the 'smaller' counties with opportunities for glory - I think the ECB was annoyed that the likes of Northants, Leicester and Worcester kept winning it). And the 50-over comp, while losing much of its lustre, still had meaning. And kids. Or am I hallucinating when I go to matches and I see lots of little people running around the place?

The Hundred wasn't, and still isn't, needed. Yes it's been great for the women's game, but that amount of money being put into the women's game was always going to be great for it. Running a women's comp in parallel to the blast could have been done, and would have been just as effective.

Oh, and free-to-air TV. But Sky's Rob Key is unlikely to care about that.

Last edited:
So would that be two rounds of five matches meaning 10 in total? That is roughly what happens in most other countries, but I'm not convinced it is right for here. And it would be pretty dismal for the teams in the third division - England hopefuls already leave the likes of Derby or Leics and this would only make that even more likely to happen.

At moment we have a few big fish on the county circuit with very flattering stats. If picked for the test team those stats rarely survive the step up. This step needs to be reduced by increasing the quality of the top flight competition. Its only practicable by making sure the best players are competing against each other more often in the right conditions. Yes, the lesser counties will not be happy but that is a price worth paying for a fit for purpose system to produce the best test cricketers.

I don't think that's really true re stats. Most of the batters picked for debuts in the last few years have had first class averages under 40. If anything they're being picked despite modest records not because of inflated ones.

Ollie Pope “The Greatest Talent Since Joe Root” average in FC over 50 and Bradmanesque south of the Thames.

Test average? 28

Yes I know. And Burns averages 41. Both of them play at the Oval, which is statistically the best place to bat in the country.

They're outnumbered over the last few years by those with more modest records: Crawley, Hameed, Stoneman, Lawrence, Vince, Roy (lol), Sibley, Jennings, Denly, Westley (remember him?), Lyth, Lees all have current 1st class averages under 40, most of them well under.

Kinell, there are a lot, aren't there? That's the debutants over the last seven years. Sure I've missed someone, but I count 12 with modest 1st class records, one (Burns) with a solid record, and one (Pope) with an excellent one.

ETA: Knew I'd miss someone. Ben Duckett - now there's a challenging quiz question. Current 1st class average is only just under 40, but it is under 40. So that makes 13.

ETAA: As I said, I've probably still missed someone off. But I count that as 15 batters debuting in the last seven years and Burns is the only one averaging over 30 (30.3 to be precise). Wow.

Last edited:
I’ve started reading Key’s autobiography and there’s this nugget of wisdom…

I have a problem with ‘innovative’ coaching methods, the main one being that, in my opinion, so many of them are just so much bollocks.

No more batting practice on one leg then.

Meanwhile, some good news. David 'Syd' Lawrence has been made president of Gloucestershire, and he namechecks Massive Attack in his first interview. :cool:

He was a big favourite of mine. Could have had an excellent England career but for a horrible injury. He makes a very good point here about Mark Alleyne. Alleyne was an amazingly astute captain and went into coaching some years ago yet has never been offered a big job. Why is that, asks Syd? Good question.

‘Cricket needs a more modern president’: Lawrence takes on Gloucestershire role | Tanya Aldred

It’s a total fuck up Bristol doesn’t have a Hundred team. With Lawrence wanting to challenge public school cultural hegemony, city focussed cricket would engage a lot more youngsters.

(I appreciate this post should be in the unpopular opinions thread)

Last edited:
The reports on speed gun usage in the last series of County games say Jamie Overton was bowling above 90mph vs Somerset but don't say, as far as I can see, that Craig Overton was apparently bowling in the mid 70mph mark? Makes you wonder if they pick the right twin.

Speaking of speed guns, I just tuned in for a few minutes of IPL after work, and a new name to look out for.

Umran Malik.

Bowling 153 kph screaming yorkers that had Dale Steyn purring. Took all five wickets to fall, four of them bowled. Finished on the losing side cos t20. He looks special.

Thanks for the heads up. Had a look and yes he looks good? From Kashmir apparently.

(Can I shove in a caveat that the first 4 wickets were awful T20 shots, and that he seems to have only bowled in T20, so would be good to see if he gets involved in red ball cricket).

Thanks for the heads up. Had a look and yes he looks good? From Kashmir apparently.

(Can I shove in a caveat that the first 4 wickets were awful T20 shots, and that he seems to have only bowled in T20, so would be good to see if he gets involved in red ball cricket).

I highly doubt he will sadly. He's young and incredibly quick, only Lockie Ferguson is quicker than him in the IPL. If I was that quick I'd be aware my career will be quite limited, test cricket wouldn't be an option. His action also needs a bit of work I'd say to prevent injury. I love seeing genuine pace though. He and Ferguson have sometimes looked unplayable. 155kph can't be much fun to face. Hopefully Steyn manages him well.

I'm not a massive fan of the IPL and all the fucking sponsorship and malarkey, but I'm not sure why a lot of you cricket fans don't check it out more often. You have the very cream of the crop in terms of global talent all playing and many young Indian players who otherwise wouldn't be given such a stage.

Oh and Jos Buttler of all people who is currently 200 odd runs ahead of everyone else in the runs board with three centuries and it's only about halfway through :eek:

Stokes confirmed as the new test skipper.

I really hope it'll bring out the best in him, even though I strongly suspect it won't.

I highly doubt he will sadly. He's young and incredibly quick, only Lockie Ferguson is quicker than him in the IPL. If I was that quick I'd be aware my career will be quite limited, test cricket wouldn't be an option. His action also needs a bit of work I'd say to prevent injury. I love seeing genuine pace though. He and Ferguson have sometimes looked unplayable. 155kph can't be much fun to face. Hopefully Steyn manages him well.
Good thing about him being Indian is that ipl is the only t20 league he needs to play in. And Indian test team will always have a proper window for that. Commentators were talking about chucking him into the test team. Could even play in the one off in England this summer? Bumrah does it after all. Batters maybe a bit different but I don't see why a pace bowler couldn't step straight into tests from t20.

Back
Top Bottom