Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2021

They want to time the declaration so they can get an extended session tomorrow morning while the new ball is still hard.

Not sure how you're looking to win a series in India if you don't push hard to win the first test when you led by 250 in the first innings.

413 FFS! That's 6 sessions at a sensible, cautious 2 an over.

The India win is off the table, we're just batting their time for them. This is madness.

England have been ultra careful with their declarations for some time now and more than often they still seem to find a way to win. This being said I can't imagine they will be in this position too many times on this tour. They really need to take this advantage and not bat themselves out of time.

This is just weird now. It's not like Leach and Anderson are going to be scoring many is it?
It wasn't about scoring, they wanted to get a specific number of overs in tonight and then still have a relatively new ball in the morning. I suspect they had their plan in place since last night and didn't see any reason to change that plan.

Not saying it was the right decision, but that would have been their thinking.

It wasn't about scoring, they wanted to get a specific number of overs in tonight and then still have a relatively new ball in the morning. I suspect they had their plan in place since last night and didn't see any reason to change that plan.

Not sure I like that thinking. If you're Sharma and Gill, would you rather have 50 minutes to survive tonight or an hour and a half?

Anyway, that's done. England have about 100 overs to get 10 wickets. They will have 20 overs or so with the second new ball if required.

And the wicket is now pretty horrible.

Deliberately having fewer overs to bowl in order to have a better ball tomorrow? Doesn't make any sense to me. :confused:

It will be fantastic for the series if Leach can get a bag here.
Yep agree. Fantastic ball to get that wicket. I didn't think he bowled that badly when Pant was taking him apart. Pant was in t20 mode and it was his day. On another day, he'll hole out early.

Pitch turning out to be exactly what was promised.

3 wickets Day 1. Flat
5 wickets Day 2. Still flat
8 wickets Day 3. Starting to change
15 wickets Day 4. Minefield

2 main factors - the brilliance of Joe Root with the bat, and the toss. Pick an order, because I don't think we'd be winning quite like this without either.
Totally agree, but England getting India's top order out cheaply in the first innings is also on the list. Wicket was still pretty good at that stage, and India scored about 260-6 subsequently. Reducing them to 70-4 was also key. The score at the fall of the fourth wicket in the first innings is the difference between the sides, essentially.

Ishant Sharma reckons India will chase down the total for the win.

Good spirit and all, but it's not him that's gonna have to get the runs is it?

Looking good for England. Part of me, most of me, wants them to wrap it up quickly but part of me was looking forward to catching a few overs on TV when he get home from work in 4 hours!

Back
Top Bottom