Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2021

I've said it before but it needs repeating. TMS losing coverage should be a criminal offence. It's the only issue that makes me want to go full gammon.
As well as the cricket coverage the extra elements, such as the fascinating interviews with commentators from different countries they played during the Sri Lanka tests, are great.

Good morning for England btw.

I like the comments on BBC Live text about root having a problem converting 200s into 300s :D
He looked very cheesed off for getting out. Bit of a nothing dismissal really just missing a straight one. Tiredness seems the only way to get him out atm. Brilliant stuff.

And will now end his 100th test with an average over 50. Best England batsman in my lifetime.

I'm getting greedy now but I want 600.

Wicket still looks really flat. Hardly any turn for the spinners. Slow, not much bounce. Don't think they'll be scoring many off Anderson.

And Ishant bowls a beauty as I write that. So reverse swing! Will that be the key?

Pope and Buttler both looked a bit scratchy tbf.

Eta and as I write that he bowls the identical ball to get Archer.

Come on - let's get 20 off 4 overs and then hole out. They really don't want to be batting this evening.

Bit of a pet gripe. Sunny Gavaskar banging on about what's wrong with Drs. Yes Buttler should have been given. But India had three reviews and lost all three. That's the system and it's a good one imo. Lesson is don't waste your reviews.

Brilliant stuff building on yesterday.

Bring them out to field again tomorrow for a few overs potentially. Remind Rohit of his drop. ;)

Positives: seamers getting a lot of reverse. Ashwin's carrom ball turned sharply out of the rough. The best time to bat might just be coming to an end and England have 550 in the bank.

All positives :cool:

And Ishant bowls a beauty as I write that. So reverse swing! Will that be the key?

Pope and Buttler both looked a bit scratchy tbf.

Eta and as I write that he bowls the identical ball to get Archer.
If reverse is key, does Archer get reverse? Don't think he does does he? Guess he was in for his pace and aggression but on a slow flat wicket would Broad have been the better pick?

I know they keep saying when it changes in India it changes quickly - but boy does it need to. Bess and Leach in no trouble really adding 30 for the 9th wicket should say a lot.

I can't imagine Archer is looking forward to this. Still, we won't need him with our demon spin twins will we?

555/8 and still not certain of a first innings lead.

If reverse is key, does Archer get reverse? Don't think he does does he? Guess he was in for his pace and aggression but on a slow flat wicket would Broad have been the better pick?
After seeing how well both Broad and Anderson bowled in Sri Lanka, it would have been great to have played both. But you also want pace on flat wickets, I think (Bumrah got both his wickets with pace and a touch of conventional swing). In an ideal world you'd have Archer, Broad and Anderson, but they went for the extra batsman and I can't blame them for that. Anderson's definitely improved his reverse swing skills in recent years, though. Let's hope Archer's been working on it as well because Ishant was getting it to go a long long way in that session.

Last edited:
After seeing how well both Broad and Anderson bowled in Sri Lanka, it would have been great to have played both. But you also want pace on flat wickets, I think. In an ideal world you'd have Archer, Broad and Anderson, but they went for the extra batsman and I can't blame them for that. Anderson's definitely improved his reverse swing skills in recent years, though. Let's hope Archer's been working on it as well because Ishant was getting it to go a long long way in that session.
And stokes will get it to reverse too I suppose. Is he bowling fit at the mo?

And stokes will get it to reverse too I suppose. Is he bowling fit at the mo?
Dunno. Stokes is more noted for conventional swing, I think. But yeah, Ishant was the pick of India's bowlers in that final session certainly, and Broad is the most Ishant-like of England's bowlers.

But tbh the spinners are still going to be the key if England are to win this.

I know they keep saying when it changes in India it changes quickly - but boy does it need to. Bess and Leach in no trouble really adding 30 for the 9th wicket should say a lot.

I can't imagine Archer is looking forward to this. Still, we won't need him with our demon spin twins will we?

555/8 and still not certain of a first innings lead.
That's an impressive level of pessimism. :D

Good start this morning. 44-2 :thumbs: Both wickets to Archer & good to see the bare bat (nice touch) of Gill return to the dressing room.

Back
Top Bottom