Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump, the road that might not lead to the White House!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel a bit torn about this focus on the alt-right. So many people didn't know it existed, and it takes a while to get a clear picture (mine, which is still forming after knowing about this for a few years at least, is still a bit foggy except for the fact that a lot of was started by pasty gamers in their mom's basements, angry about the fact that the types of women they wanted to date and who wouldn't give them the time of day were dating basketball players or man-bun types, or even just "men who actually go out in public and don't learn all their social skills from other angry 15 yr old boys on the internet")

They're having their 15 minutes of fame. Not sure this is a good thing, even if they're getting the absolute disdain they deserve.

I'm also having to sit on my hands a bit because I know a lot of ex-gamer alt-right "light" people who bitch about "special snowflakes" and "safe spaces" and all that, and who, of course, got these points of view from the more alt-right parts of internet even though they're mostly pretty well educated.

and I remember that after much frustration with these types, my strategy has become to ignore pretty much everything they say about politics, while carrying on actual adult conversations about politics in their vicinity. :D

I feel a bit torn about this focus on the alt-right. So many people didn't know it existed, and it takes a while to get a clear picture (mine, which is still forming after knowing about this for a few years at least, is still a bit foggy except for the fact that a lot of was started by pasty gamers in their mom's basements, angry about the fact that the types of women they wanted to date and who wouldn't give them the time of day were dating basketball players or man-bun types, or even just "men who actually go out in public and don't learn all their social skills from other angry 15 yr old boys on the internet")

They're having their 15 minutes of fame. Not sure this is a good thing, even if they're getting the absolute disdain they deserve.
did you get a mo to read this? its interesting stuff and connects very much with what we discuss when we say alt right I think
Building the House of Breitbart | Jacobin

I'm also having to sit on my hands a bit because I know a lot of ex-gamer alt-right "light" people who bitch about "special snowflakes" and "safe spaces" and all that, and who, of course, got these points of view from the more alt-right parts of internet even though they're mostly pretty well educated.

and I remember that after much frustration with these types, my strategy has become to ignore pretty much everything they say about politics, while carrying on actual adult conversations about politics in their vicinity. :D
I wouldn't be too sorry for them. I knew loads of people who moved towards 4chan from LJ and SA etc back in the day (I knew a couple of the founders of Encyclopedia Dramatica for instance) and watched as gradually it all went predictably terrible, driving out everyone who wasn't prepared to be a boring traditional bigot or at least be happy with that. Initially it was an alternative sphere to other net culture but it quickly turned into massively cliquey reactionary trolling, growing closer to and incorporating more elements of the worst people ever, and anyone who's still involved even tangentially has no excuse at all. I don't even have any sympathy for the large number who were motivated by self-loathing and turned inwards to a net culture whose only acceptance criteria were complete apathy.

a moment or 2 hours? :eek: :D I'm trying to skim, and save it to read later. can you summarize please?

:D it is long

only a little really: brietbart and associated milue become useful swamp for the sort of alt right shits like bannon himself while becoming a hit among r/w dickheads and providing a space for even worse bastards like neo nazis. The method and the legitamisation is what it outlines well. Why is brietbart news- and the veiws it calls news- accepted where stormfront is a byword for aryan nation dickheads, eurofash and the rejecs of brit NF? Good article, the links it makes are useful imo.

did you get a mo to read this? its interesting stuff and connects very much with what we discuss when we say alt right I think
Building the House of Breitbart | Jacobin
This is the mainstream power/media stuff - the real alt-right is stuff like spencer and macdonald, greg johnson, lane and counter-currents and so on. The stuff in that is sort of like describing the corbyn as a hardcore leninist. And the real stuff is powerless.

I wouldn't be too sorry for them. I knew loads of people who moved towards 4chan from LJ and SA etc back in the day (I knew a couple of the founders of Encyclopedia Dramatica for instance) and watched as gradually it all went predictably terrible, driving out everyone who wasn't prepared to be a boring traditional bigot or at least be happy with that. Initially it was an alternative sphere to other net culture but it quickly turned into massively cliquey reactionary trolling, growing closer to and incorporating more elements of the worst people ever, and anyone who's still involved even tangentially has no excuse at all. I don't even have any sympathy for the large number who were motivated by self-loathing and turned inwards to a net culture whose only acceptance criteria were complete apathy.

eta: oops, thought you were replying to my other post

This is complicated to answer. The people I'm referring to are in their 30's-40's now, and I doubt they visit these sites at all anymore or know about how bad they've gotten...meanwhile at the same time, remnants of this type of thinking have leaked into a lot of mainstream US culture, which probably appeals to them (maybe unconsciously) due to the fact that, as I mentioned, their formative years were spent a lot on those sites which became the absolute cesspools they are now.
So, it's quite possible that one can be not involved at all in that type of activity or condoning it, while still being influenced by it to some extent. And many of them are quite liberal in a lot of their views. Or at least moderate.

although, on second thought, the wearing of a man-bun does seem to suggest a certain degree of security in one's masculinity that most alt-right types patently don't seem to have :D

This is complicated to answer. The people I'm referring to are in their 30's-40's now, and I doubt they visit these sites at all anymore or know about how bad they've gotten...meanwhile at the same time, remnants of this type of thinking have leaked into a lot of mainstream US culture, which probably appeals to them (maybe unconsciously) due to the fact that, as I mentioned, their formative years were spent a lot on those sites which became the absolute cesspools they are now.
So, it's quite possible that one can be not involved at all in that type of activity or condoning it, while still being influenced by it to some extent. And many of them are quite liberal in a lot of their views. Or at least moderate.
If they bitch about "special snowflakes" and "safe spaces" they're clearly keeping up on the talking points. To be fair those are part of traditional mainstream right-wing arsehole discourse as well, but none of the areas you get that from are good.

I always equate man buns with yoga guys and stoners. I don't think you'll see a lot of republicans in that pool, but I could be wrong.

The last time I saw a concentration of man buns, was at the Grad Show at a local art college last year. It's hard to know what their politics were; but I'd hazard a guess that not many of them vote Conservative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom