Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Give me a reason not to embrace the far-right

Have you seen what passes for far right comedy and art?

I've recently heard a good phrase for what passes as far-right humor. It was referred to as "Schoedinger's Joke." When a far-right person says something and everyone else (rightly) decides its racist, homophobic, or otherwise something an awful a person would say, then its "a joke." Otherwise, its not.

Last edited:
Imagine a scenario: you're an artist or maybe performer, a comedian or writer or something of that kind. You create fresh 'content' all the time, new bits or pieces or productions that express what's on your mind. You have a small fanbase but not enough to make a living from, so you do some kind of waged work to keep your life the shape you want it to be. But you're unsatisfied; you feel you have the potential to make a living from your own creativity if only you could reach a wider audience.

Then you meet someone who is a member of what they call a 'political social club', asking for some creative work to promote their cause. They talk about built-in audience, algorithms, global reach, they mention numbers.

You salivate. You think about going full-time, giving up the drudge. Interviews, travel, attention. Glory.

But then you think, could I? What about what I believe? Does that matter? Who cares?

To be clear: you're not tempted. But should you be? Are you wasting a huge opportunity?

TBH, I probably would, but I know I wouldn't be successful at it. I'm no good at pretending something isn't the way it really is. I just couldn't pull it off with a straight face. Even the most intellectually unfortunate Trump supporter would see I'm a fraud.... or would they?

Last edited:
The market is saturated with far right/anti-woke grifters, and you have to get more and more extreme to keep getting those clicks.

Tbh far right humour isn't funny to me because it's nearly always 'this person isn't like me, isn't that hilarious?'

Selling out was traditionally about getting rich though rather than changing your beliefs. Even staunchly left wing bands were accused of selling out after getting a degree of success. I know there are the usual arguments about class etc but I don't think it's exactly the same thing.
Bikini Kill/Le Tigre were an example. Kathleen got criticised for appearing in the Bull in the Heather video and Le Tigre signed to a major label, and presumably were criticised for that, because they wanted to be able to afford better equipment, they were sick of playing crappy little dive bars with no security (I think the turning point for this was a bloke coming into their dressing room and shouting at her about Smells Like Teen Spirit), and Kathleen had a ton of health problems and needed better insurance. Which I think is fair enough. She hasn't become a tradwife or anything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom