Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you disapprove of people who are planning an overseas holiday this summer?

Is planning an overseas holiday this summer the right thing to do

• Yes - I’m already booked and will go away regardless of the rules

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I’d be booked if the testing regime was more relaxed

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I would like a holiday abroad but not until Covid restrictions are over

Votes: 56 41.2%
  • No they’re selfish bastards thinking only of themselves

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • NA - I always holiday within the UK

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • What’s a holiday? I work 400 days a year down the mines

Votes: 25 18.4%

• Total voters
We’ll both be double-jabbed for over two weeks, so no quarantine based on current rules. Think it’s also slightly laxer for ‘returning nationals’ than holidaymakers so easier for the rest of family (who have citizenship). The MIL will keep us up to date with anything local, we’re up north which I don’t think is the worst place at the moment.

However, I fully expect rules will change when the U.K. is doing 50,000 new cases per day in a couple of weeks because the stupid fucks have lost control of it again.
Good to hear . Lisbon and the Algarve are the problematic areas at the moment , especially the former

We've finally been able to postpone our Italy trip to 2022. Although I'm going to lose around £140 quid on one rail ticket I somehow didn't clock wasn't refundable it's a massive relief to not be going, or to be going and get stuck/end up in a quarantine hotel, and we've somehow managed to sort a few days in a seaside chalet in West Wales for non-extortionate amounts of cash. Even with the "Covid Freedom" Day, I can't see most of the EU being that keen on Delta variant bearing UK tourists arriving in great numbers.

With or without covid, whenever someone tells me about taking an unnecessary flight, in my head I think "do they not know about climate change, or do they doubt it's real, or do they just not care?".

In other words, are they ignorant, or selfish, or both?

Sometimes I say it out loud. Mostly I just think it, and make a mental note of it for future reference. Always good to know who I can trust.

With or without covid, whenever someone tells me about taking an unnecessary flight, in my head I think "do they not know about climate change, or do they doubt it's real, or do they just not care?".

Sometimes I say it out loud. Mostly I just think it, and make a mental note of it for future reference. Always good to know who I can trust.

What flights are unnecessary?

Assuming they know about climate change and care about it, and then they still fly, I think they're probably being pragmatic and realistic that them not flying on holiday (or whatever) won't make any actual difference.

Basing who you can trust on whether they fly or not seems a slightly misanthropic, judgemental, and not very helpful position tbh.

Well obvs there's a class issue that can't be ignored really. Eg, say you've got someone from Plane Stupid who's had the luxury of going abroad on several occasions throughout their life lecturing someone who hasn't had that opportunity and who finds themselves able to go on holiday abroad. The cheapest (and for them maybe the only) way they can take that opportunity is to fly.

I mean, should they never have that chance? When the other person has?

It's just not that morally simple.

What future reference is that then Bill?

Well obvs there's a class issue that can't be ignored really. Eg, say you've got someone from Plane Stupid who's had the luxury of going abroad on several occasions throughout their life lecturing someone who hasn't had that opportunity and who finds themselves able to go on holiday abroad. The cheapest (and for them maybe the only) way they can take that opportunity is to fly.

I mean, should they never have that chance? When the other person has?

It's just not that morally simple.

Completely agree, and do factor that in tbf.

Germany is to stop requiring fully vaccinated arrivals from the UK having to quarantine from tomorrow. They imposed a 14 day quarantine to stop the delta variant coming in, but weren't checking for it. They've now had a look and seen that it is everywhere. Same will be true for all of Europe already. Ffs it is even running wild in prison-continent Australia.

Later this week UK govt will announce that fully vaccinated folk can enter from green and amber countries with no quarantine, hopefully with just one PCR test before travelling and that's it. That will mean travel is open again. As seen on this thread many people are uncomfortable with that, fearing it is too soon. Maybe it is, but at some point we need to get moving again, so if not now, when?

Germany is to stop requiring fully vaccinated arrivals from the UK having to quarantine from tomorrow. They imposed a 14 day quarantine to stop the delta variant coming in, but weren't checking for it. They've now had a look and seen that it is everywhere. Same will be true for all of Europe already. Ffs it is even running wild in prison-continent Australia.

Later this week UK govt will announce that fully vaccinated folk can enter from green and amber countries with no quarantine, hopefully with just one PCR test before travelling and that's it. That will mean travel is open again. As seen on this thread many people are uncomfortable with that, fearing it is too soon. Maybe it is, but at some point we need to get moving again, so if not now, when?

Where have you seen that re the return UK testing? We fly to Mallorca next Friday, subject to the wife's Wednesday PCR being negative, but we then have video call certified LFTs for both us before we come back, and PCR tests for us and both kids within the 2 days of when we return.

Test costs in total £296!

Will they? I'm buggering off to Ibiza on Saturday, so that'll be interesting.

What happens if you turn up with a positive test or no test at all, do they refuse to let you get on the plane?

not anything lacking in the astonishingly beautiful and varied country in which we live.

For me, potentially exposing yourself to new variants and then bringing in them back is as selfish and harmful to others - and should be as socially unacceptable - as drink-driving.

Low prices are lacking. The OH showed me an Air BnB last night that wanted 2k for 5 nights in the Autumn. It was nothing special. That's 2-3 months in Greece.

The selfishness is us taking our nasty varients to them the poor foreigners. Abroad (in general) is Covid safer than the UK. We're the problem not them.

We booked a place in France. Eurostar over for a week. Yes we're selfish. In October though. Hoping shit will be better for us and them by then

Other half persuaded me to book to go visit his old friend in Sitges Spain for the fiesta which is running in August. We've got changeable flights for £100 each so not a disaster if(when) it doesn't happen. I've also said I'm not going without decent insurance. It does feel a bit of a gamble but it'd be nice to see his old pal and swim in the sea (I've tried up here in Scotland but ...).

What happens if you turn up with a positive test or no test at all, do they refuse to let you get on the plane?

If you show up with a positive test you are a massive cunt for leaving the house in the first place. if you have no test you will not be allowed to board the flight.

Spain & Germany need no tests for vaccinated people. The UK hasn't yet said what if any it will require of fully vaccinated people, but to carry on with one prior to travel and a day two test is out of step with everywhere else and costs a lot. Unvaccinated children under 18 travelling with families will be subject to the same restrictions as their vaccinated parents.

Also there is to be a trial of fast track immigration from a few places, Athens being one, where your vaccination status etc. is accounted for at the check in desk upon departure rather than at the border control desk on arrival.

If you show up with a positive test you are a massive cunt for leaving the house in the first place. if you have no test you will not be allowed to board the flight.

Spain & Germany need no tests for vaccinated people. The UK hasn't yet said what if any it will require of fully vaccinated people, but to carry on with one prior to travel and a day two test is out of step with everywhere else and costs a lot. Unvaccinated children under 18 travelling with families will be subject to the same restrictions as their vaccinated parents.

Also there is to be a trial of fast track immigration from a few places, Athens being one, where your vaccination status etc. is accounted for at the check in desk upon departure rather than at the border control desk on arrival.
I shall continue to feel smug about my complete lack of foreign travel plans then, I look forward to stories in the Mirror about angry Brits stranded at airports owing to them not realising they needed one and whinging this isn't the Brexit they voted for.

I shall continue to feel smug about my complete lack of foreign travel plans then, I look forward to stories in the Mirror about angry Brits stranded at airports owing to them not realising they needed one and whinging this isn't the Brexit they voted for.

The big risk to travel right now is if a family of four is headed to Spain or wherever, the kids will need a test and if taken the day before travel and it comes up positive you lose the whole holiday unless you have managed to track down insurance that covers it. Likewise the test on the day prior to your return could see a kid forced to quarantine in Spain for 2 weeks when you are due back at work and they at school...

The big risk to travel right now is if a family of four is headed to Spain or wherever, the kids will need a test and if taken the day before travel and it comes up positive you lose the whole holiday unless you have managed to track down insurance that covers it. Likewise the test on the day prior to your return could see a kid forced to quarantine in Spain for 2 weeks when you are due back at work and they at school...
Jet 2 single trip insurance covers someone testing positive.

For our trip, I'm working from there anyway, so if we had to stay a bit, I'd carry on. The kids are finished school when we leave and the wife doesn't work at the mo.

If the kids were due back at school, we wouldn't go for the risk of being delayed out there, or a rule change that means we have to quarantine on return. As it is, I'd we had to quarantine on return, that's no issue

Kids don't need a test to go

Switzerland (where my parents are) is the same- either a negative test OR proof of being fully vaccinated. I'm just hoping i get the proof of vax status in time for planned trip, am cutting it fine.

Depends what you mean by kids, for Spain that means people under 12, for Greece it is under 6.

Edit, from 12th July Greece ups the age to 12.
Yeah, sorry, should have said under 12. What do find bizarre is that for the return uk tests, the one you do before coming back is 12 and up, but the day tests after return is older than 4. So my kids don't have to do the first but do have to do the 2nd

Yeah, sorry, should have said under 12. What do find bizarre is that for the return uk tests, the one you do before coming back is 12 and up, but the day tests after return is older than 4. So my kids don't have to do the first but do have to do the 2nd

Yeah, it's properly muddled up and really confusing.

Back
Top Bottom