Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How do you feel about unvaccinated people?

My partner's unvaccinated Dad had it at the start of June. He didn't want to do a LFT as he thought that it would cause him to have cancer. He was pretty unwell and it was a worry as he is very isolated and far from us. He seems better now which is good and is slightly less down the rabbit hole. Of course he might not have had covid at all as he wouldn't do any tests to confirm either way so it could have just been a normal cold.

Of course you're just anecdotally sharing stories as am I, but what point are you trying to make exactly? Cause it looks like you're trying to draw a connection between being vaccinated and getting covid.
It was in answer to the "You might catch something" post, which made no real sense and really is misinformation, and nobody appears to like that, do they. Like saying unvaccinated are carrying Covid. Where does that even come from? :confused:

As I said, purely anecdotal, apologies if posting experiences outside of U75 isn't worth a shit.

Anyway, back to the original question: People in the real world really don't give a fuck if people are vaccinated or not, and they really don't go on about 'anti-vaxers' the way some on here do. HTH.

I just let them get on with it and give them a wide birth in the real world if possible.
That's where I am now, too.

You're not going to convince anyone after 2 years. Mate of mine isn't jabbed but I can't be arsed to have it out with him. I think we've got an unspoken agreement not to bring it up tbh.

That, along with his unfathomable like of Weezer, are subjects that are strictly off-limits.

Now that polio has been discovered in sewage 😳 is there any information about hard core anti-vaxers refusing to get their children protected against polio? I had my jabs as a kid and there was no fuss then from parents (there was also no Internet or social media) .

It was in answer to the "You might catch something" post, which made no real sense and really is misinformation, and nobody appears to like that, do they. Like saying unvaccinated are carrying Covid. Where does that even come from? :confused:

Alright you've got me, I can't actually produce peer reviewed research on the risks of cannibalising vaccinated Vs unvaccinated people.

So neither me nor the authors of the study have made claims about hospitalisation merely the effects on symptomatic infection in the study.
From that very published paper:
Meanwhile, vaccine protection against COVID-19 hospitalization and death is strong and durable after the second dose, and is most robust after a booster dose.
With endemic infection as it is how are the vaccines protecting disease spread exactly?
Maintaining decoupling of disease burden from infection. Maybe pictures will help?
COVID-19 metrics in London as a percentage of their peak value in winter 2020-21. COVID-19 metrics across the UK as a percentage of their peak value in winter 2020-21.
That despite ramping down widespread testing and the gross underestimation of omicron infections this year - by a factor of at least 8x here to the end of April, but over 17x within the last fortnight (eg for England compare government/UKHSA dashboard to ONS):
Infection numbers comparison - test and trace and ONS.
Infections: estimated percentage testing positive for COVID-19 (ONS).

Now that polio has been discovered in sewage 😳 is there any information about hard core anti-vaxers refusing to get their children protected against polio? I had my jabs as a kid and there was no fuss then from parents (there was also no Internet or social media) .
The main was the MMR which some believed caused autism. But it might have developed to no vaccines at all by now for some.

Anecdotally of course, so not scientific in any way, but the only people who seem to be catching it in this hot weather are the jabbed.
This seems to be the same issue since last summer so not new this year but even so omicron/BA5 seems to be transmitting without impediment.
I know people argue about percentages in academic studies, but it's clear vaccines simple can't perform this task in any useful way so why do people pretend it still does?

Bizzare behavior 😳

I've got family who've not had the vaccine. They're not anti vacs. I'm not arguing with them. As they know what I feel about it but I know they're not stupid. We'd only fall out if I kept on about it.

Another anicdote. Of the people I know who've been jabbed, quite a few myself included, have not had coronavirus AFAIK. I guess all those people in hospital in 2020 and early 2021 shoulda just taken more vitamine C. Or maybe the vaccine has helped massively reduce hospitlisation as has always been the main aim.

Spelling, argh.

This seems to be the same issue since last summer so not new this year but even so omicron/BA5 seems to be transmitting without impediment.
I know people argue about percentages in academic studies, but it's clear vaccines simple can't perform this task in any useful way so why do people pretend it still does?

Bizzare behavior 😳

Oh fuck off you dolt.

Bizzare behavior 😳
Again, what have you learnt over the past 2 years?

Nearly 20 million lives saved from the vaccination program you no-nothing thick cunts on here like IC3D etc.
Very true so no arguments there from myself, but what they can't do is stop it spreading in any meaningful way.
This is my original point is about how people can't or won't see this and the underlying reason why worries me about the world long term.

Very true so no arguments there from myself, but what they can't do is stop it spreading in any meaningful way.
This is my original point is about how people can't or won't see this and the underlying reason why worries me about the world long term.
If huge numbers of people and authorities had not recognised that current vaccines cannot eradicate transmission then the 'politics' of vaccination would be really quite different to what we see today. For example, the authorities dropping various 'vaccine passport' and mandatory vaccination for certain professions would have caused far more anger and debate, would have continued to be a very loud, contentious issue rather than one which has largely dropped off the radar.

And all the successes from vaccines mean that far fewer people feel the need to engage with Covid-lreated topics as seriously as they once did. Those who continue to spend time getting into detail are more likely to have ongoing misgivings about some approaches and attitudes.

The politics and wider public strong feelings about these matters are unlike to return to previous levels unless something happens which causes more people to demand more protection from infection in future. That could be the size and impact of covid waves creeping back up again and leaving more people obviously vulnerable to severe implications. Or it could be the next generation of vaccines which either target Omicron variants more directly, or offer a notably higher level of protection from infection more generally, changing the equations of how much protection we can reasonably strive for. Or a combination of both.

There are things that resemble contradictions or at least complications when it comes to attitudes about this stuff, because the message and the situation has evolved over time. But thats inevitable and is also in many cases pragmatic and sensible, especially when it short-circuits peoples desire to come out with overly simplistic binary stuff. It is not appropriate to frame things only as 'either prevents all transmission and infection or isnt worth discussing', not when there is a more subtle form of transmission reduction still in play.

I feel quite conflicted all the time 😄 as I'm frontline NHS and masks are no longer mandatory and pre covid visiting levels are back to normal and barely any covid testing is done.....and I'm just getting on with it in the knowledge that it's likely I'm coming in to covid positive people every day and unvaccinated people.

Emotionally its nice to feel like we are back to normal.....despite this being a huge facade, but it is completely mad and illogical within a hospital setting.

Its the sort of mad establishment logic that we are used to living with in normal times. The sort of default logic that enabled me to judge reasonably well how badly prepared we were in terms of resources and priorities when the pandemic first came along, and make loud noises about it during a key period when many were falsely reassured. The sort of shit that 'works' in the context of the cold calculations and shit priorities in this country during normal times, but that could not survive the sheer scale of the pandemic threat in the pre-vaccine era. Many of the shocks of the early period were the shock of authorities and everyone else actually getting to see the wheels falling off that crap bus. Vaccines and the immunity picture got that bus going again, and now they will drive it as close to the cliff edge as they feel they can possibly get away with. And we are back to peering nervously out of the windows and pondering the madness of it all.

I feel quite conflicted all the time 😄 as I'm frontline NHS and masks are no longer mandatory and pre covid visiting levels are back to normal and barely any covid testing is done.....and I'm just getting on with it in the knowledge that it's likely I'm coming in to covid positive people every day and unvaccinated people.

Emotionally its nice to feel like we are back to normal.....despite this being a huge facade, but it is completely mad and illogical within a hospital setting.
Do you think it is 'precaution burnout'? Everyone went so long under restrictions that they are now willing to take their chances?

My own feeling is that with vaccination seeming to, not cut the number of cases, but limiting the severity of the illness, people are now treating it rather like 'flu, you make get it, but it is unlikely to kill you. (Vulnerable excluded.)

Last edited:
Yes and the fatigue was quite visible on forums like this one even before there had been a first proper chance to evaluate the arrival of Omicron in a UK context. A mix of fatigue and fatalism/sense of futility and the very real difference vaccines make.

The sad thing about this and the much reduced media coverage is that the sensible messaging, including about vaccines, fades into the background. Take for example this stuff which was said in an offiial variant update a few days ago, messages that dont propagate as strongly via the media as they once did:

As prevalence increases, it’s more important than ever that we all remain alert, take precautions, and ensure that we’re up to date with COVID-19 vaccinations, which remain our best form of defence against the virus. It’s not too late to catch up if you’ve missed boosters, or even first doses so please take your recommended vaccines.

Our data also show that 17.5 per cent of people aged 75 years and over have not had a vaccine within the past six months, putting them more at risk of severe disease. We urge these people in particular to get up-to-date.

If you have any symptoms of a respiratory infection, and a high temperature or feel unwell, try to stay at home or away from others – especially those who are elderly or vulnerable. Face coverings in crowded indoor spaces and hand washing will help to reduce transmission of infection and are especially important if you have any respiratory symptoms.

There are simple things you can do in your daily life that will help reduce the spread of COVID-19 and other respiratory infections and protect those at highest risk. Things you can choose to do are:

• get vaccinated
  • let fresh air in if meeting others indoors
  • practise good hygiene:
    • wash your hands
    • cover your coughs and sneezes
    • clean your surroundings frequently
  • wear a face covering or a face mask, particularly if you are in crowded and enclosed spaces

Back
Top Bottom