Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How do you feel about unvaccinated people?

What have you learnt?
Quite a lot of things many of which are unexpected and arent biologically related either. An awful lot of things I have seen are group psychology or socio political (which this thread alarmed me enough to actually post).

It's not often you live through a pandemic so I find it fascinating in all ways but wish I was an remote alien observer than in the middle of it😐

10% protection against symptomatic infection at 3 months. cupid_stunt

You said 'effacy plummets after around 6 weeks', that says after 3 months, and is only in respect of symptomatic infection.

What is most important, as has been pointed out time and time again, is the protection against hospitalization and death.

Effectiveness against COVID-19 hospitalization and death was in the range of 70-80% any time after the second dose, and was greater than 90% after the booster dose. Similar patterns of protection were observed for the mRNA-1273 vaccine. mRNA vaccines provide only moderate and short-lived protection against symptomatic Omicron infections, with no discernable differences in protection against either the BA.1 or BA.2 subvariants. Vaccine protection against COVID-19 hospitalization and death is strong and durable after the second dose, but is more robust after a booster dose.

So, 0/10 I am afraid, Rodney.

You said 'effacy plummets after around 6 weeks', that says after 3 months, and is only in respect of symptomatic infection.

What is most important, as has been pointed out time and time again, is the protection against hospitalization and death.

So, 0/10 I am afraid, Rodney.
Sure protection plummets to 10% by 12 weeks not 6.

someones done their own research
Someone evidently did and published a paper on their research. I 'found' it then 'posted' here to share, any thoughts on the 'research'

"The SARS-CoV-2 Omicron (B.1.1.529) variant has two subvariants, BA.1 and BA.2, that are genetically quite divergent. We conducted a matched, test-negative, case-control study to estimate duration of protection of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines, after the second dose and after a third/booster dose, against BA.1 and BA.2 infections in Qatar’s population. BNT162b2 effectiveness against symptomatic BA.1 infection was highest at 46.6% (95% CI: 33.4-57.2%) in the first three months after the second dose, but then declined to ∼10% or below thereafter"

You might catch something.
Anecdotally of course, so not scientific in any way, but the only people who seem to be catching it in this hot weather are the jabbed.

That's friends, family and people speaking online. Our very own Have you Caught Covid recently thread for example.

• Haha
Reactions: LDC
Someone evidently did and published a paper on their research. I 'found' it then 'posted' here to share, any thoughts on the 'research'

"The SARS-CoV-2 Omicron (B.1.1.529) variant has two subvariants, BA.1 and BA.2, that are genetically quite divergent. We conducted a matched, test-negative, case-control study to estimate duration of protection of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines, after the second dose and after a third/booster dose, against BA.1 and BA.2 infections in Qatar’s population. BNT162b2 effectiveness against symptomatic BA.1 infection was highest at 46.6% (95% CI: 33.4-57.2%) in the first three months after the second dose, but then declined to ∼10% or below thereafter"
That's a preprint. Here's the actual published paper - DOI:10.1038/s41467-022-30895-3.

And here's the key concluding sentence from the abstract, that you mysteriously truncated and forgot to quote:
mRNA vaccines provide comparable, moderate, and short-lived protection against symptomatic BA.1 and BA.2 Omicron infections, but strong and durable protection against COVID-19 hospitalization and death.
And the paper's conclusion:
In conclusion, mRNA vaccines provide only moderate protection against symptomatic BA.1 and BA.2 Omicron infections, with no discernable differences in protection against either BA.1 or BA.2. Protection also wanes rapidly to negligible levels, starting 4 months after the second dose. Vaccine protection rebounds after booster vaccination, but also wanes thereafter. Meanwhile, vaccine protection against COVID-19 hospitalization and death is strong and durable after the second dose, and is most robust after a booster dose.

Anecdotally of course, so not scientific in any way, but the only people who seem to be catching it in this hot weather are the jabbed.

That's friends, family and people speaking online. Our very own Have you Caught Covid recently thread for example.

It may seem that way, because 93% have been vaccinated.

That's a preprint. Here's the actual published paper - DOI:10.1038/s41467-022-30895-3.

And here's the key concluding sentence from the abstract, that you mysteriously truncated and forgot to quote:

And the paper's conclusion:
Article might be of interest.

The authors of the study say they struggled to get data on hospitalisation due to the demographic of the study area, Quatar.
I have always said vaccines were vital to protect vulnerable groups.

Article might be of interest.

That's merely a commentary piece on the same preprint, not the published, peer-reviewed paper.
The authors of the study say they struggled to get data on hospitalisation due to the demographic of the study area, Quatar.
No they didn't:
COVID-19 laboratory testing, vaccination, clinical infection data, and demographic details were extracted from the national, federated SARS-CoV-2 databases that include, with no missing information, all polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing, COVID-19 vaccinations, and COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths in Qatar since the start of the pandemic.
What they did state was that the local demographics and milder episodes (breaking news: vaccines reduce disease burden) precluded them, statistically, from making separate per subvariant estimates on hospitalisations/deaths:
With the lower severity of Omicron infections and the young population of Qatar, case numbers were insufficient to estimate the duration of protection against COVID-19 hospitalization and death for each subvariant separately.
I have always said vaccines were vital to protect vulnerable groups.
It's the vaccination of the vast majority of the population that protects vulnerable groups.

However, you don't need to fixate on Qatar. There are numerous epidemiological studies from a large number of countries that confirm the durable protection against severe disease, hospitalisation and death; the vaccines thread is packed with them. An earlier post provides plenty of studies that confirm the contribution they make to transmission reduction.

From the interview with the researchers..

"The researchers also analysed the degree of protection that mRNA vaccines offer against severe disease, but to do so they had to pool the data on BA.1 and BA.2 cases — a measure that was necessary because Qatar’s population is strongly skewed towards young people, making severe COVID-19 cases rare. Only after pooling did the researchers have enough cases to achieve meaningful results."

So neither me nor the authors of the study have made claims about hospitalisation merely the effects on symptomatic infection in the study.

With endemic infection as it is how are the vaccines protecting disease spread exactly?

• Haha
Reactions: LDC
From the interview with the researchers..

"The researchers also analysed the degree of protection that mRNA vaccines offer against severe disease, but to do so they had to pool the data on BA.1 and BA.2 cases — a measure that was necessary because Qatar’s population is strongly skewed towards young people, making severe COVID-19 cases rare. Only after pooling did the researchers have enough cases to achieve meaningful results."

So neither me nor the authors of the study have made claims about hospitalisation merely the effects on symptomatic infection in the study.

With endemic infection as it is how are the vaccines protecting disease spread exactly?

By reducing the period someone is infectious?

My partner's unvaccinated Dad had it at the start of June. He didn't want to do a LFT as he thought that it would cause him to have cancer. He was pretty unwell and it was a worry as he is very isolated and far from us. He seems better now which is good and is slightly less down the rabbit hole. Of course he might not have had covid at all as he wouldn't do any tests to confirm either way so it could have just been a normal cold.

Of course you're just anecdotally sharing stories as am I, but what point are you trying to make exactly? Cause it looks like you're trying to draw a connection between being vaccinated and getting covid.

To be honest we're 2 years in and arguing with thick as shit anti-vaxers has got very long. As this thread demonstrates, you may as well talk to the cat, because they'll always find some anecdote or wilfully misunderstand some study, or just get their evidence from UK column or wherever.

I just let them get on with it and give them a wide birth in the real world if possible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom