Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you disapprove of people who are planning an overseas holiday this summer?

Is planning an overseas holiday this summer the right thing to do

• Yes - I’m already booked and will go away regardless of the rules

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I’d be booked if the testing regime was more relaxed

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I would like a holiday abroad but not until Covid restrictions are over

Votes: 56 41.2%
  • No they’re selfish bastards thinking only of themselves

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • NA - I always holiday within the UK

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • What’s a holiday? I work 400 days a year down the mines

Votes: 25 18.4%

• Total voters
mrsb’s brother n family talked us into booking for a week in Sicily at the beginning of august. I was always dubious - partly cos of covid but mostly cos I think they were just gonna use us as babysitters - but allowed myself to be talked into it.

Thankfully, they have just accepted it’s a really bad idea and are looking at alternative arrangements.

mrsb’s brother n family talked us into booking for a week in Sicily at the beginning of august. I was always dubious - partly cos of covid but mostly cos I think they were just gonna use us as babysitters - but allowed myself to be talked into it.

Thankfully, they have just accepted it’s a really bad idea and are looking at alternative arrangements.
Also be bloody boiling in August.

We just booked a group holiday for my sister in law's birthday for 3 nights in majorca, in June 2022. To be honest even that feels like a risk!! 😅

I don't disapprove of anyone trying to have a holiday but definitely not worth the stress for me. It's not like we've worked really hard to get covid levels down and people are jetting off to places worse than us to bring it back.

We just booked a group holiday for my sister in law's birthday for 3 nights in majorca, in June 2022. To be honest even that feels like a risk!! 😅
We're flying out there Friday week. We have to prove double-jab, or PCR negative 72 hours before flight. And to return, you have to test in the 72 hours before your return and PCR test on your 3rd day back. I'd like to think following this avoids bringing anything back and I was double jabbed a month ago.

We're flying out there Friday week. We have to prove double-jab, or PCR negative 72 hours before flight. And to return, you have to test in the 72 hours before your return and PCR test on your 3rd day back. I'd like to think following this avoids bringing anything back and I was double jabbed a month ago.

See all of that definitely puts me off and I'm hoping won't apply next year, but fair play if you think it's worth it for the holiday. Out of interest what would happen if you tested positive on the 72 before returning one?

So, both Portugal and Malta have introduced measures to restrict UK travellers who are not fully vaccinated, and already there're news reports of people moaning about it. :facepalm:

FFS, these idiots knew the risks they were taking by booking in such unsure circumstances, so they should just STFU.

I hear British Antarctic Territory is bracing at this time of year.
Mind you, you’d probably have to travel through a red list country to get there unless you have private means

In the before times I would do city breaks abroad 3 times a year. Now, happy to explore this country's cities for the next year or so. Will be putting money into the UK economy, won't have to worry about not knowing rules in a different country and don't have to worry about testing costs. I'm not a beach holiday type person and don't go away for weather, so it doesn't bother me.

I think we should have closed our borders down at the beginning of all this, we're an island ffs and it worked for a lot of other islands.

Having said that, if the government aren't going to do it, and people want to go, fine. But don't whinge about extra costs, rules changing, isolating or anything else.

I know people who's parents are old or ill who haven't been to see them for 2 years or more, and because of costs, or jobs and not being able to get time off are probably not going to see them for a while yet. So don't fucking whinge cos you had to come home early before your tan was at the level you wanted it.

Out of interest what would happen if you tested positive on the 72 before returning one?
The airline is supposed to stop you from boarding, and spreading it to other passengers, because the law/rules are clear - if the test result is positive, you must not travel back to the UK.

Whilst being double jabbed provides a high level of protection against severe infection, the protection against any infection is a lot lower, which is why I don't understand people taking the risk of being trapped overseas, under the current rules. 🤷‍♂️

See all of that definitely puts me off and I'm hoping won't apply next year, but fair play if you think it's worth it for the holiday. Out of interest what would happen if you tested positive on the 72 before returning one?
We'd have to stay until negative. Insurance covers it though and I can work from there. Kids are on school holidays from the day before we go

I wonder why the return to UK test you have to do abroad is aged 11 and up, but the day 2 test in the UK is over 4? I'm not moaning about the cost, though I do think there is some severe profiteering going on, because I'm going to take my family on holiday I'm happy to pay to minimise risk for us and everyone else, but this bit seems inconsistent.*

*Granted that inconsistency has been consistent throughout!

I wonder why the return to UK test you have to do abroad is aged 11 and up, but the day 2 test in the UK is over 4? I'm not moaning about the cost, though I do think there is some severe profiteering going on, because I'm going to take my family on holiday I'm happy to pay to minimise risk for us and everyone else, but this bit seems inconsistent.*

*Granted that inconsistency has been consistent throughout!

Because the whole system is a shambles.

Clearly you have to stay put. The bigger risk is one of your party testing positive in the 72 hours before leaving the UK, most free cancellations need more than 72/48 hours notice, you could well lose the lot.

Mrs Q is currently searching for somewhere for a few days away in the UK, the average cost for a weekend in a cottage in Cornwall is £1000+ and a week at around £3000+, clearly not everyone is losing financially because of the pandemic

TBF, they would have lost a lot over the last year or so, so with such high demand now, it's not surprising they are trying to make up on some of those loses, as shitty as that seems for anyone trying to book. :(

Can they stick Branson’s island on the red list, permanently? Nobody allowed in or out, including food supplies.

Can they stick Branson’s island on the red list, permanently? Nobody allowed in or out, including food supplies.
The Bearded One might not be there at the moment, Might be in New Mexico playing with his spaceships. Weren't there rumours he might try and best the Evil Overlord in the race to space.

I have a flight to Portugal mid-August. Rest of the family over there from the end of term in July (if the flight goes ahead). I can see restrictions changing after they’ve gone leaving me stranded here while they’re on the beach.

(it’s family/childcare more than holiday, kind of nice that the in-laws place is 500m from the seafront :) )

I have a flight to Portugal mid-August. Rest of the family over there from the end of term in July (if the flight goes ahead). I can see restrictions changing after they’ve gone leaving me stranded here while they’re on the beach.

(it’s family/childcare more than holiday, kind of nice that the in-laws place is 500m from the seafront :) )
Don’t want to sound patronising but have you checked the recent restrictions on entering Portugal and any local ones where you are staying ?

Don’t want to sound patronising but have you checked the recent restrictions on entering Portugal and any local ones where you are staying ?
We’ll both be double-jabbed for over two weeks, so no quarantine based on current rules. Think it’s also slightly laxer for ‘returning nationals’ than holidaymakers so easier for the rest of family (who have citizenship). The MIL will keep us up to date with anything local, we’re up north which I don’t think is the worst place at the moment.

However, I fully expect rules will change when the U.K. is doing 50,000 new cases per day in a couple of weeks because the stupid fucks have lost control of it again.

Back
Top Bottom