Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you disapprove of people who are planning an overseas holiday this summer?

Is planning an overseas holiday this summer the right thing to do

• Yes - I’m already booked and will go away regardless of the rules

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I’d be booked if the testing regime was more relaxed

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I would like a holiday abroad but not until Covid restrictions are over

Votes: 56 41.2%
  • No they’re selfish bastards thinking only of themselves

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • NA - I always holiday within the UK

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • What’s a holiday? I work 400 days a year down the mines

Votes: 25 18.4%

• Total voters
I’ll gladly admit to disapproving of people going abroad right now. Unless it’s for genuinely essential reasons - and I have a feeling my definition of that will be somewhat stricter than most - they should be fucking ashamed of themselves.

I think people planning to go abroad are taking a few different gambles, with implications for others not just themselves.
1) they are gambling that they won't catch covid-19 while they are aboard
2) they are gambling that they will be able to get a clear test for them and their group when the time comes to return home.
3) they are gambling that they won't get a new variant which might defeat any vaccine they have taken
4) they are gambling that they won't unwittingly bring a new variant back to the UK with them
5) they may be gambling that their destination stays on the green or amber lists for the duration of their visit
6) and they may be gambling that they won't have to do a hotel quaranteen on their return with all the costs associated with that ..

For me, 3 & 4 are the key issues, because they involve others - other than the immediate vacationers.
They’re also gambling with the health of all the unvaccinated people who serve them during the course of their holiday.

How long was Portugal on the green list for? Every chance the Balearics will be amber again pretty soon, especially as our esteemed government has made it one of the very limited places you can go, cramming everyone in nice and tight...

Balearics on the green watch list, along with Israel, which means they will most likely move to amber very soon.

Absolute shower of shit in government, just come out and say all travel is off rather than opening and closing places, fucking peoples' plans up at great cost, financially and mentally. Additions to the green list yesterday included Pitcairn Island, Diego Garcia and Antarctica, ffs. Taking the absolute piss.

Balearics on the green watch list, along with Israel, which means they will most likely move to amber very soon.

Absolute shower of shit in government, just come out and say all travel is off rather than opening and closing places, fucking peoples' plans up at great cost, financially and mentally. Additions to the green list yesterday included Pitcairn Island, Diego Garcia and Antarctica, ffs. Taking the absolute piss.
I think they just wanted a laugh to be honest. I give no shits about who wants to take a chance going abroad. Good luck to you, hope you pull it off.

Nah, but I never go anywhere, anyway, apart from up the A11. Haven't been abroad since 1993, when I spent my student grant on a family jaunt to India for a coupla months. Not unduly bothered by other people's holidays (although I do fret about environmental concerns re. the tourist industry).

seeing as holidays are meant to be about relaxing I think all this green/amber business sounds like far too much stress, not to mention places being shut, masks, social distancing. will try and spend some time away from London but within the UK (if you can book anywhere) but a trip abroad seems more hassle than it's worth for me.

Anything that involves an ongoing worry of green/amber/red both before and during, masks, PCR tests that cost a fortune, vaccination certificates, flights that may or may not happen and possible quarantine is not conducive to a good time and therefore I will not be bothering.

If people want to take a foreign holiday that's up to them. I'm not doing it for the time being. Initially it was because I thought it was the wrong thing to do, now I just can't be arsed with hassle.

As it happens right now its seems pretty fucked in the UK anyway so the damage being done will be to the host country and that's up to them. I feel very sorry for anyone vulnerable who happens to live in places that have been green listed by the UK and have open borders because they're about to be knee deep in delta variant.

I think the right thing for us all to do is to stay put this summer unless we absolutely have to travel. But I'm not going to have a go at people who want to go abroad. I have friends who are desperate to visit families, for instance.

I do get a little annoyed at people who have been self-righteous during lockdown who are now planning trips, but there it is.

I can't say I disapprove, but neither can I muster up much sympathy for the people I see being interviewed on the news complaining about the cost of the tests or having to quarantine.

I would like to go abroad on holiday. I would like to go and visit family and friends in foreign places. But I'd also like ten million quid. I won't die if I don't get those things and so I will just have to keep plodding on and make do without them.

Diego fucking Garcia? They might as well add Guantanamo Bay to the list.

Somewhat disapprove, depending on where they're going and why. I mean, I'm also being tortured by ads for sandy beaches and warm seas, but it's just not worth it.

If the EU start demanding 10 days quarantine for arrivals from UK that could royally screw up a holiday. Buyer beware! Way too risky for me this year.

If the EU start demanding 10 days quarantine for arrivals from UK that could royally screw up a holiday. Buyer beware! Way too risky for me this year.
It's likely to be by country, no? Not EU-wide. A Bulgarian friend of mine is pinning her hopes on the fact that the Bulgarian government is such a bunch of cunts who have mismanaged everything so badly that they won't get it together to impose restrictions - currently it's two jabs and you're in.

It's not looking good for those who have medical reasons not to be vaccinated, though. :(

It's likely to be by country, no? Not EU-wide. A Bulgarian friend of mine is pinning her hopes on the fact that the Bulgarian government is such a bunch of cunts who have mismanaged everything so badly that they won't get it together to impose restrictions - currently it's two jabs and you're in.

It's not looking good for those who have medical reasons not to be vaccinated, though. :(

It is by country, Spain & Greece won't do it as they want the £'s, their rates will go up as they did last summer. Merkel called for all EU countries to do it, that weaselly little runt Macron came out later in agreement, even though France remains open to fully vaccinated people from the UK.

Individual circumstances are more nuanced that that. I already know that summer will be a long haul, my autistic boy will be up hours before anything is open, and my 6 year old is hyper-intelligent and needs stimulating from 6am until 9pm, or just goes nuts. The chance of a week or two where the weather is guaranteed to be good enough for them to play in a pool all day, is the only respite we'll get. We don't have anyone else who can handle them, no-one who even babysits., now the lady who could has got a full time job.

I've had both jabs and if allowed we'll be away at the end of August. If we can't, we can't, but I won't feel bad if we can
If you happen to live in the North West, check out this agency that has carers who look after autistic children.

Back
Top Bottom