Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you disapprove of people who are planning an overseas holiday this summer?

Is planning an overseas holiday this summer the right thing to do

• Yes - I’m already booked and will go away regardless of the rules

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I’d be booked if the testing regime was more relaxed

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I would like a holiday abroad but not until Covid restrictions are over

Votes: 56 41.2%
  • No they’re selfish bastards thinking only of themselves

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • NA - I always holiday within the UK

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • What’s a holiday? I work 400 days a year down the mines

Votes: 25 18.4%

• Total voters
Does anyone actually check people coming into the UK any more?, everyone I know who went away last summer (ok only 3 people ) said they werent checked at this end coming back
I realise its not a risk anyone should take in any case, just wondering if we are still as crap at keeping things controlled as we were earlier in pandemic as in most ways we seem to be even crap-er

Does anyone actually check people coming into the UK any more?, everyone I know who went away last summer (ok only 3 people ) said they werent checked at this end coming back
I realise its not a risk anyone should take in any case, just wondering if we are still as crap at keeping things controlled as we were earlier in pandemic as in most ways we seem to be even crap-er

I came back through Heathrow just over two weeks ago. Had completed the passenger locator form and had my vaccine certificate to hand, but they didn't ask to see them. They didn't seem to be checking other people's either, but I wouldn't swear on that.

We had a few days in Lille. Passenger locator forms weren't checked on re-entry (they saw that Mrs W had one but didn't read it; they didn't bother even looking at mine).

Beginning to wonder if all the hoops are just to put people off travelling (not a bad idea).

Why is what? Morocco suspending direct flights from UK, Germany & Holland as the Covid rates in each country is so high. Why they are still allowing people in from these countries so long as they've coughed their Covid over France or Spain first is a mystery though.
It’ll just be an easy way of limiting people coming from those countries, without the bureaucracy and checking involved in determining who has been where. Keep it simple I guess. Won’t catch everyone but will reduce the numbers coming in.

Back from a week in Italy. All very straight forward with my NHS vaccine certificate allowing me to get into restaurants.

ETA: PLFs not checked on re entry into the UK.

We had a few days in Lille. Passenger locator forms weren't checked on re-entry (they saw that Mrs W had one but didn't read it; they didn't bother even looking at mine).

Beginning to wonder if all the hoops are just to put people off travelling (not a bad idea).
If you’re flying the authorities are putting the burden onto the airlines so if you’ve actually arrived then they’re assuming you’re ok I suspect.

We've booked for next April, still a bit risky but I thought maybe any winter surge would be better by then and can't see there being any more restrictions than there are now?

Anyway does anyone know of any good insurance for the various things that could go wrong before and during? Holiday is atol protected, hotel is fully refundable up to 3 days before. Who knows what easyjet T&Cs will be then.

I’ve heard Battleface are fairly comprehensive on covid stuff but this is one instance where you really should read all of the small print I think

We've booked for next April, still a bit risky but I thought maybe any winter surge would be better by then and can't see there being any more restrictions than there are now?

Anyway does anyone know of any good insurance for the various things that could go wrong before and during? Holiday is atol protected, hotel is fully refundable up to 3 days before. Who knows what easyjet T&Cs will be then.

Post Office.

But you’ll be fine and you and your missus are clued up enough to deal with this crap. Where are you headed?

Just heard from a friend in NZ who won a place in their MIQ (hotel quarantine for when you fly back in to NZ) that you apply for and I think is randomly allocated. Means she can book a flight back here to see elderly parents. Sounds a very strict procedure, you can't book a flight until you have your MIQ place. I was telling her here you just get a test when you arrive, now obviously a PCR not LFT. She's not flying for a month, might even change by then, but at least the flight and MIQ costs are refundable.

Another change. I'm not 'moaning' (see barbs passim!), but now need to decide whether our Xmas trip should go ahead. We test all the time to make sure visits to my folks aren't putting them in danger, but had planned a trip that returns with enough time to test before the kids go back to school. The change to 'isolate until negative result returned' mean they'll miss the Thurday and Friday, which we could live with. Now it's test to return, that's another whole ballgame.

It's almost like living in uncertain times!

Ah well now with Omicron around, that's a proper holiday "away" away kicked down the road 'til 2023 at the earliest now I s'pose / as far as i'm concerned

Shame, getting away would've been nice

Just heard from a friend in NZ who won a place in their MIQ (hotel quarantine for when you fly back in to NZ) that you apply for and I think is randomly allocated. Means she can book a flight back here to see elderly parents. Sounds a very strict procedure, you can't book a flight until you have your MIQ place. I was telling her here you just get a test when you arrive, now obviously a PCR not LFT. She's not flying for a month, might even change by then, but at least the flight and MIQ costs are refundable.

Make sure she stocks up on pot noodle and books. I’ve seen more hospitable prisons than some of these hotels are offering.

Grim 5 minute walk around a multi storey car park for exercise

Make sure she stocks up on pot noodle and books. I’ve seen more hospitable prisons than some of these hotels are offering.

Grim 5 minute walk around a multi storey car park for exercise

In NZ Artaxerxes? That's where she'll do her quarantine, not the UK.

Last edited:
Now it's test to return, that's another whole ballgame.

Yeah, it's a bit of a game changer. I've got a trip coming up and now looking at possibly cancelling. I've just checked with my travel insurance providers and they DO cover additional hotel or overseas quarantine costs if you get stuck abroad due to testing positive and being unable to fly home. Not sure if I fancy potentially being stuck in a hotel overseas for xmas though.

My boss (extremely wealthy) has managed to go on holiday to Corfu, Dubai and St Lucia this year without any problems :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom