Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you disapprove of people who are planning an overseas holiday this summer?

Is planning an overseas holiday this summer the right thing to do

• Yes - I’m already booked and will go away regardless of the rules

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I’d be booked if the testing regime was more relaxed

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I would like a holiday abroad but not until Covid restrictions are over

Votes: 56 41.2%
  • No they’re selfish bastards thinking only of themselves

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • NA - I always holiday within the UK

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • What’s a holiday? I work 400 days a year down the mines

Votes: 25 18.4%

• Total voters
tbh i hadn't thought about this, the what do you do if you test positive whilst away problem, just because uk numbers are so much worse.

UK numbers are the highest, but the UK is testing massively more than elsewhere. I expect Burkina Faso's numbers are quite low for the same reason Germany's are.

But this highlights the big risk with travel, if you test positive whilst away. If fully vaccinated you don't need a test to enter the UK (or most European countries), but if you have a positive test of course you must not travel, so do you bin the positive test?

UK numbers are the highest, but the UK is testing massively more than elsewhere. I expect Burkina Faso's numbers are quite low for the same reason Germany's are.

But this highlights the big risk with travel, if you test positive whilst away. If fully vaccinated you don't need a test to enter the UK (or most European countries), but if you have a positive test of course you must not travel, so do you bin the positive test?
Yeah. She’s been saying she wishes she hadn’t chosen to do the test or hadn’t told anyone the result & just laid low, but she’s not an arsehole so she did. As you say, this is the real risk with travel, and I’d not even thought about it.

Our hospitalised covid patients numbers are many times higher than Germany Italy spain etc, that’s not testing that’s just covid.

Germany is not doing as many tests as the UK but we can check other data to get a sense of whether part of the reason for that is because their outbreak isnt as large as ours. Amount of testing in the UK has varied compared to EU countries, but the data from each country still tends to give a real indication of the state of each countries outbreak too.

For example their weekly hospital admission numbers are much lower than the UKs.

Screenshot 2021-10-16 at 20.50.jpg

Via Coronavirus (COVID-19) Hospitalizations - Statistics and Research

Although when I look at what the recent number of covid patients in intensive are using the same site, the numbers for Germanys are higher than the UKs. So it is sensible to peer behind the data and figure out what the story might be with that, eg they have a different standard of care/criteria for admission to intensive care/different data methodology for what counts as a intensive care covid case (eg wording of UKs figures is actually 'number of patients in mechanical ventilation beds').

(eg wording of UKs figures is actually 'number of patients in mechanical ventilation beds').

Huh?, so if you're in ICU on O2 due Covid you don't count as being in intensive care because we dont actually have an in intensive care list, we only have a in hospital and on mechanical ventilation' list?

Looks like stickers, certainly not real blood.
Thats what I thought, they are all exactly the same (though handed left right), but why the feck would you put stickers that look a poor attempt at bloody footprints on the floor?...........to direct Zombies?...its bizarre

Its not a fucking morgue is it?

Huh?, so if you're in ICU on O2 due Covid you don't count as being in intensive care because we dont actually have an in intensive care list, we only have a in hospital and on mechanical ventilation' list?
All I can really say is that the numbers on the daily dasboard are described as number of patients in mechanical ventilation beds. I suppose in theory some of those patients could be in those beds without actually being on full mechanical ventilation, but I dont have the means to explore that possibility further.

Other data that receives much less attention is available via certain other sources. For example the Intensive care nation audit and research center has some very detailed reports with all manner of figures in them.

i like to think i'm quite a brave sort of person but friend just said that breakfast was delivered in a plastic bag hung on the wall outside where she was instructed to go retrieve it after whoever brought it had left, and then, then, it contained bread roll & one small sachet of bloody DECAF instant coffee. that would be it for me i'd probably cry when i saw it was decaf.
I'm not going anywhere without learning first what the consequences might be of testing positive whilst there.

Last edited:
i like to think i'm quite a brave sort of person but friend just said that breakfast was delivered in a plastic bag hung on the wall outside where she was instructed to go retrieve it after whoever brought it had left, and then, then, it contained bread roll & one small sachet of bloody DECAF instant coffee. that would be it for me i'd probably cry when i saw it was decaf.
I'm not going anywhere without learning first what the consequences might be of testing positive whilst there.
I would have thought that, in a country like Spain, giving someone decaf coffee would have been edging close to being a human rights issue :)

She will be ok but no good deed goes unpunished does it, she only did the test voluntarily to reassure self before flying home today that she was negative and now this, free meditation retreat / solitary confinement in spooky institutional building.
Not a good deed though eh? The bare minimum really.

Not a good deed though eh? The bare minimum really.
i dont know. the fact that the facility is totally empty apart from her suggests its not very common to voluntarily do a test and then voluntarily report the result, instead of just catching your flight home with no test at all as per the rules.

Why is that?

Why is what? Morocco suspending direct flights from UK, Germany & Holland as the Covid rates in each country is so high. Why they are still allowing people in from these countries so long as they've coughed their Covid over France or Spain first is a mystery though.

It's a right bastard as 1/2 term starts this weekend and Morocco is a very popular spot in October, most flights were pretty much sold out and now all those holidays are lost.

Why is what? Morocco suspending direct flights from UK, Germany & Holland as the Covid rates in each country is so high. Why they are still allowing people in from these countries so long as they've coughed their Covid over France or Spain first is a mystery though.
That was my thinking. Wondered if France or Spain had stricter travel restrictions/regulations :hmm:

Guessing wealthy travellers can have a night in Paris or Milan before spreading over to Morocco.

Guessing wealthy travellers can have a night in Paris or Milan before spreading over to Morocco.

You don't even need a night anyway, the new rules state specifically that you may connect from the UK, Germany or Holland, so something like these are fine...

A1.JPG

It does seem an odd decision. Ordinarily the restrictions say people who have been in or travelled through xxxx countries in the last 10 days are banned.

It does seem an odd decision. Ordinarily the restrictions say people who have been in or travelled through xxxx countries in the last 10 days are banned.
I guess the issue here is the growing international perception is that the UK is "xxxx country" now.

Have waited to go away but now made it to Crete. A load of stress checking all the rules but remarkably easy & relaxed, not even an lft on arrival. It wasn’t busy either even though it’s half term. The picture is changing so perhaps this is just temporary window.

Booked a trip to visit my mum in December, I didn't realise you still need to get a 2nd day test.
Who are the good, the bad and the ugly in paid for test suppliers then?

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to ask on or not but does anyone know what the deal is with coming into the UK from another country?

My sister hasn't been back to the UK for 2 years and has had the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. She's got the paperwork to say she's had it but is there anything else which might cause a problem?

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to ask on or not but does anyone know what the deal is with coming into the UK from another country?

My sister hasn't been back to the UK for 2 years and has had the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. She's got the paperwork to say she's had it but is there anything else which might cause a problem?
As long as it is not from a red list country only a paid for day 2 covid test the reference of which needs to go on the passenger location form. Current guidelines are here.

Back
Top Bottom