Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you disapprove of people who are planning an overseas holiday this summer?

Is planning an overseas holiday this summer the right thing to do

• Yes - I’m already booked and will go away regardless of the rules

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I’d be booked if the testing regime was more relaxed

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I would like a holiday abroad but not until Covid restrictions are over

Votes: 56 41.2%
  • No they’re selfish bastards thinking only of themselves

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • NA - I always holiday within the UK

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • What’s a holiday? I work 400 days a year down the mines

Votes: 25 18.4%

• Total voters
I did one when I came back from Spain last week. No instructions whatsoever, no video, nowhere to send the photo.

It’s almost like I handed over money for nothing.
somebody came to visit me a while ago when day 2 tests were also mandatory, but never received the test. they ended up getting their money back (after a lot of angry emailing).

I did one when I came back from Spain last week. No instructions whatsoever, no video, nowhere to send the photo.

It’s almost like I handed over money for nothing.
out of interest - how long did it take for the result to come back (if there was one)?

As I understand (and I freely confess to relaying all this information third hand and may thus be completely wrong) is that these DTC's or whatever they're called are some sort of EU thing that is a QR code on their phones that say that they are vaccinated. Middle reckons there will be no need for them to take a test either in the days leading up to driving onto the boat or off the boat at either end.
If we get a disgruntled phone call from either Holyhead or Dublin then we will know she is wrong.

Ireland introduced test requirements for travellers from the UK last Friday.

A negative Covid-19 test will be needed for those arriving into ports and airports in the Republic of Ireland from Friday.
Travellers will need to show results from a lateral flow test taken up to 48 hours before arrival, or a PCR test taken up to 72 hours earlier.
The move was agreed by ministers in Dublin on Tuesday.

Airlines and ferry companies are in talks with the Department of Transport to discuss checks before people board Ireland-bound flights or boats.

Also see UK government page about this:

Travel from non-scheduled states

From 00.01 on Sunday 5 December 2021 anyone travelling to Ireland has to show a negative COVID-19 test. This includes travellers from Great Britain, but not those whose journey originates in Northern Ireland (see specific guidance for these travellers below). Travellers who have proof of vaccination or recovery from COVID-19 may show either a negative antigen test which was carried out by an approved professional no more than 48 hours before arrival in Ireland (not self-administered) or a negative PCR test which was carried out no more than 72 hours before arrival. Travellers who do not have a Digital COVID Certificate based on vaccination or recovery have to show a negative PCR test, taken no more than 72 hours before arrival in Ireland. There are specific exemptions to the requirements above. You should visit the Irish government website for more details.

Well that disagrees with what she told me on Saturday so clearly the rules are in a state of flux and she is not current on them, I will do my paternal duty and text her to let her know that she might need to check again but he's 32 and she's 28 so they are grown adults and ultimately responsible for their own actions. You will have to be passed off as a work colleague since Middle Q is as ignorant of U75 as her mother.

Well that disagrees with what she told me on Saturday so clearly the rules are in a state of flux and she is not current on them, I will do my paternal duty and text her to let her know that she might need to check again but he's 32 and she's 28 so they are grown adults and ultimately responsible for their own actions. You will have to be passed off as a work colleague since Middle Q is as ignorant of U75 as her mother.

TBH at those ages, I would expect them to at least catch a TV news bulletin daily, if they don't bother with other media coverage.

Although, increasingly I've become aware of people that don't just bother to keep up with the news, and then moan about being caught out, due to their own ignorance. 🤷‍♂️

TBH at those ages, I would expect them to at least catch a TV news bulletin daily, if they don't bother with other media coverage.

Although, increasingly I've become aware of people that don't just bother to keep up with the news, and then moan about being caught out, due to their own ignorance. 🤷‍♂️
Neither of them are stupid so I would expect them to be checking the situation regularly, You have been asigned the Secret Identity of 'Mike' (since I can't admit to taking advice from someone called cupid_stunt without a LOT of questions)
I suspect I will get the standard response of "I'm a Nurse Dad, I'm rushed off my feet these days and can't just sit round chitchatting'

I try very hard not to sit in judgement on people's choices and decisions around Covid, but that's just fraudulent. If you're going to take the risk of going on holiday, TAKE THE FUCKING RISK. Don't try and game the system, or cheat it. We all know it's been set up in a venal corrupt way, but that is no reason to follow the example of our sleazy leaders.

Definitely fileable under "cunt's trick", in my book. :hmm:

You probably won't be surprised at the number of punters I've had who ask for ways round testing/quarantine. I even had one woman 2 weeks ago in Paris at a conference, she didn't need a pre-departure test but for some reason everyone at the conference started taking PCR tests, so she did too, came up positive. Her PA calls me and asks what is she to do, tell her she must isolate in France for 10 days. Two hours later I get notification that this woman has changed her Eurostar booking and is on her way back to London. Fucking outrageous behaviour, her PA quit over it, called her a cunt and walked.

You probably won't be surprised at the number of punters I've had who ask for ways round testing/quarantine. I even had one woman 2 weeks ago in Paris at a conference, she didn't need a pre-departure test but for some reason everyone at the conference started taking PCR tests, so she did too, came up positive. Her PA calls me and asks what is she to do, tell her she must isolate in France for 10 days. Two hours later I get notification that this woman has changed her Eurostar booking and is on her way back to London. Fucking outrageous behaviour, her PA quit over it, called her a cunt and walked.
Good for the PA, even if there isn't much else to celebrate in that story.

Well, considering my name is Mike, you've done well. :D
I have received neither the expected response nor the hoped for one of "Thank you for your concern Father, but we are aware and have the situation in hand"
She has replied with the single response of 'FUCK' which whilst confirming that my third born child has inherited more than just her looks from her mother also leads me to believe that neither she nor Paddy have checked travel advice over the weekend.

I'm 38, and don't think I've watched a news bulletin in about 5 years

Sounds like my 3 days of visiting my mum in France for Christmas will either involved 3 tests with the attendant risks,
or
I could book a new journey going to NI then overland to the republic and flying over to France and the same on the way back by-passing all needs for tests... not sure this will fit in the 84 hours I had planned to go for... (e2a: I would obviously had to lie on my declaration to the french authorities, so not such a cunning plan after all)
Now to give her the bad news :/

Last edited:
Ryanair had a sale a month ago and I got a very good deal to Vienna for January . Austria's gone into lockdown since then but that is due to end before Christmas.

But it's looking now that the PCRs may well cost more than the flights. If so I won't bother going.

Doubt I'll get any money back of course but that was the risk I ran

Ran into a barrister I know today who says he's been to Italy three time since day 2 tests were required and every time he's booked one for the PLF reference, but not done or returned the test, and heard nothing afterwards. Just how much money is being spen, with no outcome?

Ran into a barrister I know today who says he's been to Italy three time since day 2 tests were required and every time he's booked one for the PLF reference, but not done or returned the test, and heard nothing afterwards. Just how much money is being spen, with no outcome?
randox?

We’re meant to be off to Madrid tomorrow. A rebooked break from earlier in the year - it was bound to be fine by now, what with all the vaccines! Hey ho.

It’s still clear as mud exactly what we need to do re the lateral flow test for the flight back. Various places say they will do them, but then only offer PCR tests, at over a hundred euros each, when you actually look. You can do it at the airport, but no clue is given as to how long it might take (or what cost it would be).

I am tempted to go fuck it and just have a few days off here. But we’d have pissed £600 down the drain in that case.

We’re meant to be off to Madrid tomorrow. A rebooked break from earlier in the year - it was bound to be fine by now, what with all the vaccines! Hey ho.

It’s still clear as mud exactly what we need to do re the lateral flow test for the flight back. Various places say they will do them, but then only offer PCR tests, at over a hundred euros each, when you actually look. You can do it at the airport, but no clue is given as to how long it might take (or what cost it would be).

I am tempted to go fuck it and just have a few days off here. But we’d have pissed £600 down the drain in that case.

£19 and you only have to upload a photo of your test, no mucking around with testing on-camera

E2A: I used this firm for my Day 2 LFT test a month ago and the result certficate within seconds of uploading the photo of the cartridge

E2A #2: Just realise you need for tomorrow as you need to take with you, so waiting for this to posted out won't work

£19 and you only have to upload a photo of your test, no mucking around with testing on-camera

E2A: I used this firm for my Day 2 LFT test a month ago and the result certficate within seconds of uploading the photo of the cartridge

E2A #2: Just realise you need for tomorrow as you need to take with you, so waiting for this to posted out won't work
Damn, that would be perfect if we weren’t going tomorrow!

What are you basing the 'probably will be ok I think' on?!

I'm supposed to be going to France for 2 weeks mid March next year, and in the last few weeks have started to think that is quite likely not to happen, or at least be so much faff as to not make it worth it.
its in 4 months, which is long enough for everything to calm down if omicron is a damp squib. if not then I can cancel or reschedule so no skin off my nose.

Assume that's one you do yourself
:)

After hours off faff yesterday, we now have twice as many of the bloody things as we need.

The friends we were going to see have flu, so that’s out. Still, I’m sure I could sit n stare at Guernica for yonks and the statue to Satan should be showing him absolutely pissing himself with the state of the world.

its in 4 months, which is long enough for everything to calm down if omicron is a damp squib. if not then I can cancel or reschedule so no skin off my nose.
My friend flights to Turkey in early February have been cancelled today. She had rescheduled from november due to other circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom