Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cricket World Cup 2023

Decent game today. NZ lost it in the last ten overs of their innings. A chase of 300 would have been very interesting.

India just look unbeatable at the moment.

Not quite comfortable with this picture. The guy in the back centre is the taliban 'minister of the interior', the others are Afghan players.

Sirajuddin Haqqani is the current acting Minister of the Interior under the Taliban regime. The U.S. says his Haqqani network was responsible for the deaths of hundreds of Afghans and dozens of American forces, many of them in suicide attacks, across Afghanistan during the two-decade war.

taliban-cricket-afghanistan.jpg

I'm not really comfortable with Afghanistan being allowed to play international cricket at all atm. I would feel sorry for the players if they were banned, but I don't see how a Taliban govt that has banned girls from playing is compatible with participation. I would want to see a men's and women's team or neither.

This is a bit different from South Africa in that the Taliban couldn't give a shit whether their men's cricket team is banned or not. But imo the principle is similar. Without full and equal participation of all, there should be no participation at all.

This is also quite disappointing. I like Rashid but this. No.

In solidarity with Afghan women and girls, who have seen virtually all of their basic human rights erased under the Taliban, Australia's national cricket association announced last week that it would not play against Afghanistan in a pre-scheduled series of one-day matches in March.

Cricket Australia said it had taken the decision due to the "recent announcement from the Taliban restricting the freedoms of women and girls in Afghanistan," adding that it was "committed to supporting growing (sic) the game for women and men around the world, including in Afghanistan."

Rashid Khan, Afghanistan's first global cricket superstar, denounced Cricket Australia's withdrawal from the match and threatened to pull out of Australia's Big Bash League.

I'm not really comfortable with Afghanistan being allowed to play international cricket at all atm. I would feel sorry for the players if they were banned, but I don't see how a Taliban govt that has banned girls from playing is compatible with participation. I would want to see a men's and women's team or neither.

This is a bit different from South Africa in that the Taliban couldn't give a shit whether their men's cricket team is banned or not. But imo the principle is similar. Without full and equal participation of all, there should be no participation at all.

I actually think the Taliban would give a shit if they were banned. I'm sure they're all lounging around right now enjoying this match.

This is also quite disappointing. I like Rashid but this. No.

Australia joined in with the 2001 invasion of Afghanistan which only ended up strengthening the Taliban's grip, after two decades of chaos and suffering for Afghanistan's people.

So they couldn't be accused of having excessive moral high ground here.

Well Russian athletes have been banned from all sorts of sports over Ukraine (under their own flag anyway). I don't know - I'd argue that what the Taliban are doing to women in their country is just as bad as what Putin is up to.

It's actually in the ICC's constitution that all playing nations must respect diversity and equality.

Which are great words, and should mean nations have both men's and women's teams.

Not just Afghanistan, but Bangladesh and Zimbabwe don't have a women's test team.

This is allowed to fly under the radar. The ICC give no backing to the women in Afghanistan. Or Bangladesh. Or Zimbabwe.

It's actually in the ICC's constitution that all playing nations must respect diversity and equality.

Which are great words, and should mean nations have both men's and women's teams.

Not just Afghanistan, but Bangladesh and Zimbabwe don't have a women's test team.

This is allowed to fly under the radar. The ICC give no backing to the women in Afghanistan. Or Bangladesh. Or Zimbabwe.
Bangladesh and Zim do have women's teams, though. No doubt woefully underfunded, but they're not banned from playing. So Afghanistan is the outlier here, the one that really deserves to be ostracised.

A special mention for Jonathan Trott here too who has no excuse. The others are at least playing for their country.

The answer, I think, with Afghanistan is that pre-Taliban takeover 2, the country was given until 2025 "to work towards it".

I don't think there's been any pronouncement since the Taliban took control again.

Meanwhile Afghanistan are giving Pakistan a thrashing (at the moment) that will open a door for England. England will then walk into the wall.

The answer, I think, with Afghanistan is that pre-Taliban takeover 2, the country was given until 2025 "to work towards it".

I don't think there's been any pronouncement since the Taliban took control again.
The Taliban banned girls from playing sport in 2021. That's the point at which, imo, they should have been suspended from international competition.

Bishan Bedi has passed away aged 77
Remember seeing him play for Northants in the 70’s….
RIP
Aye, RIP.

Won't link as I'm on my phone, but was an interesting character as team manager. Wiki tells of him taking his team off the field as they were facing beamers against the Windies.

Back
Top Bottom