Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cricket World Cup 2023

Weird stat. Seven teams have batted first so far on winning the toss. They've all lost.

Nine out of 22 games so far won by team batting first. 13 won by team chasing.

16 out of 22 games won by team losing the toss.

It was a brave prediction. Bangladesh have had the better of SA in the last 3 games and they're bowling well. In fact, if they can get rid of QdK before he does too much damage, I'd make them favourites.

Which is also a brave prediction!

Outside the best two teams - India and NZ - I think anyone can beat anyone in this WC. Bangladesh have had a poor comp so far, but they're no mugs.

That said, I do think a team winning the toss and batting will finally win a match today. It's very odd that more than 70% of the matches so far have been won by the team losing the toss. So much for the unfairness of day/night matches!

Is there a commentary on today's game? It's sometimes on the Guardian sports pages but I can't see anything.

Is there a commentary on today's game? It's sometimes on the Guardian sports pages but I can't see anything.

Well if you're happy with print, nobody beats cricinfo. Their writers are good as well.

While the commentators that do the circuit these days (Ian Smith, Bishop, Pommie etc etc, and they must get royally sick of each other) are perfectly competent, does anyone else miss the likes of Tony Grieg, Bill Lawrie, Richie Benaud, hell even Boycott to add a bit of colour? Hussain's probably the pick of them. I want a bit of a niggle in the comms box please. It's all very streamlined these days.

TV bit different from the radio, but on the radio, it's important that commentators should be good company - their commentary is all you have after all. In that regard, at risk of stating the obvious, I like the likeable ones. Carlos Brathwaite, Alex Hartley, Ebony Rainford Brent, Jeremy Coney. Many of the 'guest' summarisers are great as well - Firdose Moonda is good on right now. Geoff Lemon is an excellent commentator. I used to like Tuffers, but he's worn a bit thin. Can do without Vaughan.

I was never really a fan of Blofeld's jovial bumbling. I quite like my commentators to be competent. CMJ was competent but boring. Boycott and Truman were bores. Many of the old guard weren't that good.

TV bit different from the radio, but on the radio, it's important that commentators should be good company - their commentary is all you have after all. In that regard, at risk of stating the obvious, I like the likeable ones. Carlos Brathwaite, Alex Hartley, Ebony Rainford Brent, Jeremy Coney. Many of the 'guest' summarisers are great as well - Firdose Moonda is good on right now. Geoff Lemon is an excellent commentator. I used to like Tuffers, but he's worn a bit thin. Can do without Vaughan.

I was never really a fan of Blofeld's jovial bumbling. I quite like my commentators to be competent. CMJ was competent but boring. Boycott and Truman were bores. Many of the old guard weren't that good.

TMS is far superior really. I could while away many an afternoon lying in the park chilling to it. These Sky guys are just pros. It's a circuit. Never say anything interesting or controversial.

TMS is far superior really. I could while away many an afternoon lying in the park chilling to it. These Sky guys are just pros. It's a circuit. Never say anything interesting or controversial.
In India especially, they're contractually obliged not to say anything controversial. Don't know if that applies to a World Cup as well, but certainly does to IPL. Not allowed to criticise the organisers.

All SA's big hitters are in form. This is the kind of thing we were hoping England would do. None of England's big hitters is in any kind of form.

The Saffa batting lineup is awesome. You get one out and another monster walks out. Poor little England have no chance. SA to win the cup, my call.

While the commentators that do the circuit these days (Ian Smith, Bishop, Pommie etc etc, and they must get royally sick of each other) are perfectly competent, does anyone else miss the likes of Tony Grieg, Bill Lawrie, Richie Benaud, hell even Boycott to add a bit of colour? Hussain's probably the pick of them. I want a bit of a niggle in the comms box please. It's all very streamlined these days.
No personality in any of them these days!

I would like to put in a word for Mahmudullah. For obvious reasons don't get the chance to go on about him too much but he's long been my favourite Bangladeshi player and I'm not in the least surprised he scored an outstanding century (the next best was 22). He scores important runs in a weak team and has an average (in Tests) better than most England players. He also has to bloody fight for his place again and again because of the politics within that team. Tamim Iqbal was not good for that team and it's going to take a while for the bad taste to go away.

Tamim Iqbal was not good for that team and it's going to take a while for the bad taste to go away.
Why not? This is a story I've missed. I watched Tamim score a century in a test at Lord's many years ago. I always liked him - one of Bangladesh's genuine test-quality players back when they didn't have many.

Back
Top Bottom