Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cricket World Cup 2023

India and NZ are the two teams who just don't look like they'll put in a poor performance. India a man down and still getting the job done in the field. Another Bumrah masterclass top and tailing the innings. Best bowler in the tournament thus far imo.

NZ have done all this without Williamson or Southee. Both of whom might return before the final. Change a winning team?

NZ have done all this without Williamson or Southee. Both of whom might return before the final. Change a winning team?
Southee was fit for the last game apparently. Can't get in the team. No way I would drop either Boult or Henry and the pace of Ferguson is a must, so I don't see how he gets in the team atm. Williamson is a loss, particularly if they encounter tricky pitches, but his replacements are no slouches.

I don't know where you'd slot him into this current team. I guess Will Young will be sacrificed which he'd be rightly fucked off about :D But cant really leave him out.

NZ have had the easiest of fixtures overall so far. Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Netherlands, all played. England can hardly be said to have tested them (and, as I've said, I don't believe they have a chance in this WC).

I think we need to wait before awarding NZ a place in the final based on those games.

Stokes has apparently been given the job of giving the team talks now by the coach 'he's the spiritual leader of the side'

How to undermine a leader.

It wouldn't be a terrible idea to ask Buttler to just concentrate on his batting and keeping. He's been a flop so far with the bat, which has hurt England badly.

Looking at the averages, it's easy to see where England have struggled. Buttler, Livingstone, Ali (just one match), Curran and Woakes have all failed with the bat. That's the entire lower-middle order.

NZ have had the easiest of fixtures overall so far. Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Netherlands, all played. England can hardly be said to have tested them (and, as I've said, I don't believe they have a chance in this WC).

I think we need to wait before awarding NZ a place in the final based on those games.
In the final, sure. But I can't see them missing out on the semis. They only need two wins out of five from here on to more or less guarantee a place. Even one win out of five gives them a chance.

India v Kiwi final.

India win with 100%
Yeah, playing the percentages, they should finish 1 and 2 and so meet in the final. Suppose there are always unpredictable results and they will have to play each other in group, so it's possible they might not finish 1 and 2 (so could meet in the semis). But that as the final looks the most likely.

Would be great seeing India win it in India, with only the final taking place at the Narendra Modi Stadium being the slight flaw. :(

Yeah, playing the percentages, they should finish 1 and 2 and so meet in the final. Suppose there are always unpredictable results and they will have to play each other in group, so it's possible they might not finish 1 and 2 (so could meet in the semis). But that as the final looks the most likely.

Would be great seeing India win it in India, with only the final taking place at the Narendra Modi Stadium being the slight flaw. :(
All bets are off for the knockouts. I could easily see India winning every group game then losing the semifinal.

Must admit, I haven't warmed to Indian cricket crowds. They idolise their own players to, imo, an unhealthy degree, and completely ignore the opposition. I'd quite like them to be kept quiet at some point.

It would take some strange results in the other games for them not to come first and second, but not impossible.
Yes, thinking that through, you're right. India or NZ will lose when they play each other in the group, but then that losing team would have to lose at least one more not to come 2nd (I think!).

All bets are off for the knockouts. I could easily see India winning every group game then losing the semifinal.

Must admit, I haven't warmed to Indian cricket crowds. They idolise their own players to, imo, an unhealthy degree, and completely ignore the opposition. I'd quite like them to be kept quiet at some point.
Yep, not seen one game with a proper competitive atmosphere in the ground. Either the grounds have been half empty or, in the game that should have had an atmosphere, Pakistan fans were pretty much banned.

Did see a piece in the guardian saying the low numbers were a bit deceptive: these are massive grounds and are getting attendances bigger than most English venues. Also, people coming in late due to work and avoiding the heat of the day. Still, it does feel a bit underwhelming.

This is just getting embarrassing now. Still, you won't know if it's a good score until both teams have had a chance to bat... :D

259 - 1. :eek:

There can't be many double century openers in the one day game.

Is it going to be worth watching the Pakistan innings?

Dropping Smith on 1, that'll help.

Pakistan are...unpredictable. But I can't see them getting close to the 400 Aus are threatening.

Has there ever been a more unfortunate debut than Usama? Dropping Warner on 10 on his way to what could be his highest score in ODIs and getting carted round the park when he comes into bowl. I feel for him .

Back
Top Bottom