Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cricket World Cup 2023

I'm pretty sure you don't get to drop 5 catches and still beat NZ.

Happy to be proved wrong on this.

The bowlers should be giving the fielders a good kick in the bollocks, about now.

I'm pretty sure you don't get to drop 5 catches and still beat NZ. The bowlers should be giving the fielders a good kick in the bollocks, about now.

Happy to be proved wrong on this.

The bowlers should be giving the fielders a good kick in the bollocks, about now.
Interesting to hear Rashid Khan's reaction. Furious at first, but then reacting by gathering the team together and taking over as de facto captain. I'm not quite sure why he isn't the official captain tbh.

But yeah, can't do that. They had been doing really well, squeezing NZ.

Interesting to hear Rashid Khan's reaction. Furious at first, but then reacting by gathering the team together and taking over as de facto captain. I'm not quite sure why he isn't the official captain tbh.

But yeah, can't do that. They had been doing really well, squeezing NZ.

I think this is the same issue as England must be having. We all know Stokes is the real captain in that dressing room so it must be very hard for meek little Jos Buttler to give a team talk :D

I love Rashid. A total gent from the interviews I've seen with him.

Had some hopes for this briefly but it's another one destined for the planetgeli shit list. :(

I'm watch Das Boot instead. Someone please tag me if this gets interesting.

NZ and India nailed on for the semis. I don't think any of the bottom four will challenge, although there could well be more upsets. So that leaves two from Pak, Eng, SA and Aus. Think it's wide open among those four. All are flawed, all have lost one or two matches already.

England vs SA this week is huge. Close to a must-win game for England.

(This is all barring a minor miracle from Afgh today. Rashid Khan could do something amazing?)

ETA: or maybe not. Game over.

Jonathan Trott must have the weirdest job in world sport. Do tou think he has meetings with whoever pays the bills?

Haven't really been following them but are they all fairly crap? Even England v Afghanistan or was that a bit one-sided too?

Haven't really been following them but are they all fairly crap? Even England v Afghanistan or was that a bit one-sided too?
That was very one-sided. :D

There's been one close match - Pakistan chasing down 345 vs Sri Lanka in the 49th over - but even that wasn't quite a nailbiter. Still awaiting the first thriller.

Where do they train?

Do the Taliban just let Trott cruise in and out of Afghanistan?

I doubt he's advising on the women's side on his short visits there, coz oh. Nah, I wouldn't take that gig. Rashid Khan is the biggest star in Afghanistan and is obvs very well travelled so he might be find it hard to sing that anthem.

This one's been put out of its misery early at least. Listening to SA grinding down the Net Run Rate damage yesterday was painful.

It's weird how T20 resets your expectations. When it started up I thought that's bound to be shite and will just be batters thrashing away, poor cricket etc. Only really watched it in the last couple of years and I've come round to it, though the 100 is a pointless reworking of T20 and rather silly. But then you get into this World Cup and start thinking, 'gee, 50 overs, that goes on forever. Might dip in and out, but I'm not sitting there for hours'. :D

It's weird how T20 resets your expectations. When it started up I thought that's bound to be shite and will just be batters thrashing away, poor cricket etc. Only really watched it in the last couple of years and I've come round to it, though the 100 is a pointless reworking of T20 and rather silly. But then you get into this World Cup and start thinking, 'gee, 50 overs, that goes on forever. Might dip in and out, but I'm not sitting there for hours'. :D

You're right to draw psychological connections between T20 and intolerance of 50 overs. 50 overs was made for knockout cricket, not stupid leagues where NRR may come into play. And they've also messed up with the powerplay rules which just encourage knocking the ball around for singles in the middle overs (yes, boring, but because it's a predictable set pattern).

I'm tempted to wonder if they shouldn't have just gone with John Player League stylee 40 overs and then we may never even have got T20.

You're right to draw psychological connections between T20 and intolerance of 50 overs. 50 overs was made for knockout cricket, not stupid leagues where NRR may come into play.
Geoff Lemon was making this point on commentary today. This format is designed so that four 'big' teams are guaranteed to be in the semi-finals and all the big teams get a big set of matches. We'll have the odd shock result but none of the unfancied teams stands a chance in a league. He contrasts it with the football World Cup with its jeopardy for the big teams right from the start, where the organisers are pleased when one or two big teams take the early plane home. In cricket, all too often, this is seen as a calamity rather than good for the game. In this tournament, the winners will play 11 games in total, but nobody will play fewer than nine. That's a commercial consideration rather than a sporting one.

It doesn't always work perfectly. West Indies weren't supposed to fail to qualify. They're putting that right next time with two groups of seven followed by a super-six. There's a chance a smaller team could make the super-six, but not a huge one. But again, knockouts will be limited to semis and a final. Just three knockout matches in total, with a format designed to maximise the chances of the richest teams to make it through.

You're right to draw psychological connections between T20 and intolerance of 50 overs. 50 overs was made for knockout cricket, not stupid leagues where NRR may come into play. And they've also messed up with the powerplay rules which just encourage knocking the ball around for singles in the middle overs (yes, boring, but because it's a predictable set pattern).

I'm tempted to wonder if they shouldn't have just gone with John Player League stylee 40 overs and then we may never even have got T20.
I used to love those 70s one day competitions and the JPL was a fixture in our house on a Sunday afternoon. Ditto the Gillette Cup.... pure nostalgia for a Lancs fan.... David Hughes belting 24 in an over in the gloom. :) But yeah, the JPL I'm ancient enough to remember that there was a 15 yard limit on the bowler's run up for the first few years, presumably to save time (Peter Lever used to pretty much start his run at the Pavillion steps). Not quite sure when it was abandoned, but it used to leave fast bowlers doing a virtual jig on the spot before launchingtheir paltry run up.

Geoff Lemon was making this point on commentary today. This format is designed so that four 'big' teams are guaranteed to be in the semi-finals and all the big teams get a big set of matches. We'll have the odd shock result but none of the unfancied teams stands a chance in a league. He contrasts it with the football World Cup with its jeopardy for the big teams right from the start, where the organisers are pleased when one or two big teams take the early plane home. In cricket, all too often, this is seen as a calamity rather than good for the game. In this tournament, the winners will play 11 games in total, but nobody will play fewer than nine. That's a commercial consideration rather than a sporting one.

It doesn't always work perfectly. West Indies weren't supposed to fail to qualify. They're putting that right next time with two groups of seven followed by a super-six. There's a chance a smaller team could make the super-six, but not a huge one. But again, knockouts will be limited to semis and a final. Just three knockout matches in total, with a format designed to maximise the chances of the richest teams to make it through.

Yes all this. Big upsets should be the heart of a tournament shouldn't they, maybe until the last few games. But here you've got what should be big wins for Afghanistan and the Netherlands and about all they see for it is a pat on the head.

Sorry, you've got me started now. :oops: Here's a 4 minute clip on that match. I'd completely forgotten that thing about kids sitting on the field up to the rope, suspect I might have done it myself. You've even got kids running on when the fielder is chasing the ball to the boundary and between balls. Health and safety wokeism gone mad nowadays, people have to have seats or summat. :rolleyes:

Showing our age here, but yes, used to watch the Sunday League a lot. Usually Glamorgan games shown live on BBC Wales. Usually with Peter Walker commentating. They used to get decent crowds in from what I remember. But scandalously short at just 40 overs each!

I don't think the 50-over format is the problem, though. I think the WC thus far has been unlucky not to have close matches. That could all change.

one-sided t20 games are also dull, mind you.

Back
Top Bottom