Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Census 2021

And you see no issue with people knocking on the doors of confused old people in the middle of a pandemic and asking questions about personal information?

ETA: it doesn't have to be asking for personal information. They are asking about personal information, in the sense that they are giving out a form that requests personal information be sent off to some postal address. I am amazed that anybody can't see an issue with this, in a world in which identity theft is so fucking rife that we are being bombarded with adverts telling us not to do the exact thing that is happening here.
as just said, they wont be asking about personal information on the doorstep. And, yes, the census requires personal information, so do a fuck of a lot of things, because sometimes it is useful and necessary.

as just said, they wont be asking about personal information on the doorstep. And, yes, the census requires personal information, so do a fuck of a lot of things, because sometimes it is useful and necessary.
They will be asking about personal information. They will be asking a confused older person to fill out a form with their personal information and send it off to an address. This comprises an action in the set of actions “asking about personal information”

Now, I don’t have a problem with the census. I’ll certainly be filling it out myself. It definitely facilitates the exercise of power in order to control the populace but its position on the list of things that do this, I doubt manages to get into the six figures.

This isn’t about doing the census, though, it’s about how you engage with the public. The messages you give to people are important. They need to be clear and consistent. The clear and consistent message that benefits those more confused by the modern world is: don’t give your data to people. This is the issue you need to work around to deal with the problem of how to record the details of confused older people. And you don’t solve any problem by simply pretending it’s not a problem!

I'd give yourself a little while to think about what you've just said there, tbh.
You are able to find these things out by Googling. Not everyone is IT literate. Some may not even be aware of the census. You are and have had plenty of time to find out the answers to the questions you’ve been asking.
If you called up the helpline and I answer I would help you.

Fuck off, I’m good at my job. You are finally going on ignore
Ah. Irony from the man that delights in throwing totally unprovoked personal insults at me out of context on innocent, non-confrontational threads. It’s okay apparently to say all sorts to me, but calling you a non-empath sends you over the edge.

I’m delighted for you to not engage with anything I say. I can’t remember anything positive ever once having come of it.

They will be asking about personal information. They will be asking a confused older person to fill out a form with their personal information and send it off to an address. This comprises an action in the set of actions “asking about personal information”

Now, I don’t have a problem with the census. I’ll certainly be filling it out myself. It definitely facilitates the exercise of power in order to control the populace but its position on the list of things that do this, I doubt manages to get into the six figures.

This isn’t about doing the census, though, it’s about how you engage with the public. The messages you give to people are important. They need to be clear and consistent. The clear and consistent message that benefits those more confused by the modern world is: don’t give your data to people. This is the issue you need to work around to deal with the problem of how to record the details of confused older people. And you don’t solve any problem by simply pretending it’s not a problem!
this is all very confused, Are you saying that elderly people should never confirm their name? As that clearly falls within your set of actions “asking about personal information.” That would be a tad foolish, to say the least.

Such people will be dealt with sympathetically, attempts can be made to help them find someone they would be comfortable with supporting them to fill it in (when that is legal). Any workers, and the form itself, will be clearly identified as 'important government information' or somesuch and there will be a wide variety of methods available to check it is official. With any such exercise there is a small risk of someone trying to scam it, pretend to be a worker to gain access so it is probably wise to make sure they know all about it in advance, as far as practicable, and that officers are not meant to be entering houses.

You are able to find these things out by Googling. Not everyone is IT literate. Some may not even be aware of the census. You are and have had plenty of time to find out the answers to the questions you’ve been asking.
If you called up the helpline and I answer I would help you.
OK.
The questions I've asked you are the ones that I've not been able to find out from google, like how will the state necessarily know that my old Mum & Dad are confused, knackered and not bothered.
The stuff i have been able to find out from Google is this; if they don't get to engage with the census return as the state wants, this will happen:

An Adecco recruited fieldworker will call at their door to offer "assisted digital" entry
  • I encourage them not to answer the door unless they know who it is
  • but, supposing they do answer, the fieldworker proposes to enter their data at 2m distance from their doorstep
  • they're both deaf (to some degree) so this would involve a conversation, at some considerable volume, about their personal details with their front door open for half an hour (?) in March
  • this will all occur on the public pavement outside their terraced house, possibly in front of passers by and/or neighbours
I'm not happy about that.

this is all very confused, Are you saying that elderly people should never confirm their name? As that clearly falls within your set of actions “asking about personal information.” That would be a tad foolish, to say the least.

Such people will be dealt with sympathetically, attempts can be made to help them find someone they would be comfortable with supporting them to fill it in (when that is legal). Any workers, and the form itself, will be clearly identified as 'important government information' or somesuch and there will be a wide variety of methods available to check it is official. With any such exercise there is a small risk of someone trying to scam it, pretend to be a worker to gain access so it is probably wise to make sure they know all about it in advance, as far as practicable, and that officers are not meant to be entering houses.
I don’t think that the census workers themselves are the issue here. And I don’t think it’s an insoluble problem either. I was objecting to the blanket insistence that there was nothing to be solved in the first place.

OK.
The questions I've asked you are the ones that I've not been able to find out from google, like how will the state necessarily know that my old Mum & Dad are confused, knackered and not bothered.
The stuff i have been able to find out from Google is this; if they don't get to engage with the census return as the state wants, this will happen:

An Adecco recruited fieldworker will call at their door to offer "assisted digital" entry
  • I encourage them not to answer the door unless they know who it is
  • but, supposing they do answer, the fieldworker proposes to enter their data at 2m distance from their doorstep
  • they're both deaf (to some degree) so this would involve a conversation, at some considerable volume, about their personal details with their front door open for half an hour (?) in March
  • this will all occur on the public pavement outside their terraced house, possibly in front of passers by and/or neighbours
I'm not happy about that.
Why ae you asking a question which has already been answered? When you first asked it. I refer you back to that.

I don’t think that the census workers themselves are the issue here. And I don’t think it’s an insoluble problem either. I was objecting to the blanket insistence that there was nothing to be solved in the first place.
you were the only person who thought there were any such blanket insistence.

you were the only person who thought there were any such blanket insistence.
Oh come on. Both you and OU were saying (and OU still is saying) that brogdale’s parents don’t present a difficulty because somebody will just knock on their door and couldn’t apparently see any issue with this solution at all. Plus they can just Google and/or phone a helpline.

Oh come. Both you and OU were saying (and OU still is saying) that brogdale’s parents don’t present a difficulty because somebody will just knock on their door and couldn’t apparently see any issue with this solution at all.
or perhaps we are just a bit sick of brogdale's dubious doubts. Beyond that, such issues aren't new. Usually there is a neighbour or family member who is happy to help them, which is obviously trickier at the moment, but quite possible if they have care needs and are thus allowed visitors.

such issues aren't new. Usually there is a neighbour or family member who is happy to help them, which is obviously trickier at the moment, but quite possible if they have care needs and are thus allowed visitors.
Right. But we aren’t in that state right now and that presents a unique problem. To me, it seems that the whole process should have been delayed a year until that was not the case.

Right. But we aren’t in that state right now and that presents a unique problem. To me, it seems that the whole process should have been delayed a year until that was not the case.
as I said at the beginning, this is part of why i think there is a tory plot to make it a bit rubbish as an excuse to do away with it. Which is why it is depressing to see some going along with them.

Why ae you asking a question which has already been answered? When you first asked it. I refer you back to that.
No, that question hasn't been answered at all.
You said that "they can ask for a form" which makes many assumptions about how they might perceive what they're being asked to do, their ability to analyse what they're told and act on that.

Ultimately, if they fail to comply in the way that the Adecco recruit wants, they will be asked to divulge personal details on their doorstep on the public footpath outside their house.
That seems like a pretty shabby position to be put in when you're 90 and confused about most things.

Back
Top Bottom