Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ayia Napa gang rape case - verdict and discussion

When I was travelling I was warned about Russians and Israelis immediately out of military service and letting off steam. The warning was well Bournemouth out over the course of a year or so.

(I was also warned about British men when they had been drinking (people would assume I was German or Scandi) and they weren’t wrong about that either)

Well Bournemouth? Is that like well Mexico?

And yeah, when I was in my early 20’s all the bog graffiti in places like Thailand, India, Philippines etc. was all slagging Israeli travellers. In my day to day business now I do a lot of business with Israelis and they couldn’t be more lovely. Guess it’s that just out of national service attitude that isn’t so nice, went to Trier for Christmas when I was 13 and a load of Germans were rampaging through the town, my mum who had lived in Germany for a number of years just told me they were celebrating the end of their service, it was an accepted thing, still no excuse for being rapists, but not sure it is fair to lay this at the door of Israel.

edit; not that you are Manter

Well Bournemouth? Is that like well Mexico?

And yeah, when I was in my early 20’s all the bog graffiti in places like Thailand, India, Philippines etc. was all slagging Israeli travellers. In my day to day business now I do a lot of business with Israelis and they couldn’t be more lovely. Guess it’s that just out of national service attitude that isn’t so nice, went to Trier for Christmas when I was 13 and a load of Germans were rampaging through the town, my mum who had lived in Germany for a number of years just told me they were celebrating the end of their service, it was an accepted thing, still no excuse for being rapists, but not sure it is fair to lay this at the door of Israel.

edit; not that you are Manter
Hahahaha great autocorrect. Borne out. But I am going to leave it ;)

It was very specifically the end of National service thing I was warned about, and about the two countries where national service seems to brutalise people quite severely.... so it’s not just high spirits, it’s something darker. And yes, I have Israeli friends, spent some time there a few years ago for work, people are no worse or better than any other nation.

This rape is something altogether different of course

We've seen fairly bad and very drunken and ultra-loud behaviour by some Israeli travellers in Goa many years ago :(
Nothing any worse than (some) random drunken Brit behaviour in "travelling" destinations, but not great to witness whoever does it ... we'd tend to move on quite quickly to evade :(

I use "Bypass Paywalls" add-on with Firefox.
how do you read FT without paying?
You can sometimes read articles if you copy the article url (but delete the end bits with the code from sharing) if you paste it into an incognito/private browsing window. Not in this case though.

Here's a link to an AJE article reporting the gas pipeline deal. As soon as I saw the headline I wondered if any political persuasion had been brought to bear on the Cypriot authorities to release the young Israeli men involved in this case.

There's an Greece, Israel, Cyprus sign gas pipeline deal, angering Turkey

The Cypriot legal system has always been soft as fuck on rapist scum. When I lived with my grandparents there in the early Nineties the issue was a bunch of British squaddies raping and murdering a Danish tour guide and getting soft sentences in a basic holiday camp.

This is actually the fault of AKEL the often ruling communist party always pushing soft sentencing

There's something really unsettling about this case. The woman seems to have been treated disgracefully and there's a strong whiff of outside interference.

Sky is reporting that she is likely to be flying home tomorrow, having only been given a fine or suspended sentence.

In the unlikely circumstances that the judge decides to jail her, she will get a presidential pardon.

The only out and out racist tourists I met in my travels in South America happened to be from Israel. Had one female mention that she wanted me to go on the train with her as she couldn't face the idea of one of the local women sitting next to her. I won't bother sharing the filth/ language used by the "tourist" but the memory will never leave me. Needless to say I made my excuses and avoided any further interaction.

Already a thread here:

I've merged them - I didn't see the original. I'm keeping it in world news rather than UK because, well, it's clearly involving other countries.

Sky is reporting that she is likely to be flying home tomorrow, having only been given a fine or suspended sentence.

In the unlikely circumstances that the judge decides to jail her, she will get a presidential pardon.
It's still a conviction and I believe the pardon means very little - it'll still be on her record. Ffs, convicted of being gang raped. Even if she hadn't been battered (she had) why the fuck would she choose to put herself in that position. And then lie about it. Fucking pricks.

Those men WILL do this again, make no mistake.

This poor woman. She must be burning with anger, injustice, pain and humiliation. I don't hold out much hope of our government doing much to support her, mind.

It's still a conviction and I believe the pardon means very little - it'll still be on her record. Ffs, convicted of being gang raped. Even if she hadn't been battered (she had) why the fuck would she choose to put herself in that position. And then lie about it. Fucking pricks.

A suspended sentence is not a pardon. And even a pardon only means 'you did the bad thing, but we forgive you'.

Excellent. Now she has to relive it again.

Pricks.
Maybe this time a crowdfunding appeal could get her lawyers powerful enough to take on the sleazy fucks who got their filthy rapist well-connected clients off the hook? I'd definitely chip in.

She's got to live with this forever, whatever happens. I hope she's strong enough to get the justice she deserves.
So do i. But sometimes self preservation comes first. And a crowdfunding scheme might feel like a lot of pressure.

So do i. But sometimes self preservation comes first. And a crowdfunding scheme might feel like a lot of pressure.

I think they'd probably decided to appeal before they set up the crowdfund to er... fund the appeal. I realise there could be parental pressure etc... But equally could come from her, we have no idea. I can imagine not persuing it would come with its own issues.

It's now over £140k, which will be plenty to take it all the way to the ECHR, and hopefully leave a fair bit left for various justice/women's rights charities.

Back
Top Bottom