Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
80. Make your space feminist!
  • Posters, wall art, flags, or any feminist propaganda! Make your room an inclusive, decorative place to remind you of what you’re invested in. On my wall, I have posters and flyers from all the events and protests I have ever attended in my college career.
I don't see what this has got to do with anything!! the guy who sexually assaulted me had a flat that was covered in political posters/literature.

I read it as "I'm Latino, men of colour are more likely to be seen as dangerous". I don't see your point really.

I don't know, I feel very uncomfortable with the idea that men who are stigmatised as being more likely to be violent because of their race feeling more obligated to move to the other side of a road than men who don't suffer from the same stigma.

I don't know, I feel very uncomfortable with the idea that men who are stigmatised as being more likely to be violent because of their race feeling more obligated to move to the other side of a road than men who don't suffer from the same stigma.
Sure, I get that. FWIW I often cross the road myself if I'm out walking in the dark and a woman is walking towards me. I'm white, but I've been known to wear clothes that some people apparently associate with less salubrious types. Is that sad and a bit wrong? Sure. I still think it's the easiest option to make someone elses life easier without going out of my way too much (pun not intended).

With this "Jewsplaining" thing I'm slightly confused as to whether I'm supposed to be privileged or oppressed and whether dotty's supposed to be my ally or I'm supposed to be his. Can anyone help? :D
said: Not to mention, the Ashkenazi Jews went to Israel and did ALL THAT shit to the Palestenians. Oh, and they are now putting African people in concentration camps. Lastly, what Germany did to Africa before WWII makes the holocaust look like childs play.

Sure, I get that. FWIW I often cross the road myself if I'm out walking in the dark and a woman is walking towards me. I'm white, but I've been known to wear clothes that some people apparently associate with less salubrious types. Is that sad and a bit wrong? Sure. I still think it's the easiest option to make someone elses life easier without going out of my way too much (pun not intended).

No it's not wrong at all but I don't think that someone should feel any more of an obligation to do it just because of their race.

to be fair, i do feel threatened by that sort of thing at night and fair enough if you're doing that

it's a fucking minefield especially if there's only one path, do you stay a sinister lurking distance behind, or attempt to overtake, thereby increasing the fear, but only temporarily until you get a safe distance in front

you have no idea what us allies go through

it's a fucking minefield especially if there's only one path, do you stay a sinister lurking distance behind, or attempt to overtake, thereby increasing the fear, but only temporarily until you get a safe distance in front

you have no idea what us allies go through
Always overtake. A moment of panic is surely preferrable to minutes of low-level fear? I'm referring to my own emotions of course. ;)

There's a point system, obvs. Kind of like that political compass thing. No idea what the axes would be, but I'm sure someone can help us out.
Surely depends on skin tones, the whiter the person you're speaking to the more oppressed you are, the darker the more priviledged you are, there is a special coin you can send away to twitter for, in the case that you are speaking to middle-eastern people, this coin when flipped will determine which attitude you may adopt.

given julie burchill's well known liking for my religion, documented a few times on these forums, i am starting to wonder if she's actually my ally in a struggle against oppression, and by taking the piss out of her i'm actually just stifling her attempts to be a better ally and not helping her grow and get in touch with her true emotions and that. i mean i don't really have any idea how hard it is being julie burchill do i :(

seriously, this "allies" stuff just reminds me of people like her going on and on about how they like a certain race or ethnicity and feel such an affinity to them, when all you have to do is not be a dick, not make a lifestyle choice out of it

don't forget to invite them back to your place to view your collection of feminist posters. that will make them feel really comfortable.

lol they should already have spotted my feminist ally baseball cap and hoodie. I will rally support with my feminist gear!

94. Showcase your feminist pride! (If you’re comfortable)

Wear t-shirts, sport wristbands, or put cool bumper stickers on your car. Make noise! There are many different ways to do so. As a man, you’re bound to draw attention and possibly rally support with your feminist gear

In order to decrease your chances of burnout, find ways of practicing self-care in order to keep you motivated and productive in allyship. Self-care can come in many forms. For example: playing sports, hiking, doing yoga, reading non-feminist literature, going off the grid, dancing, working out, spending time with friends and family, etc. The possibilities are endless, but once you find things that make you happy, stick to them!

Does "non feminist literature" include things like Chronicles of Gor? I do hope not :D

• While some men are made fun of for caring about women’s rights and feminism, there is very something alluring about being a male feminist (or so I hear). There aren’t many of us, therefore it may seem tempting to let this get to your head. Also, it may seem tempting to seek validation and verbal recognition from women and people you know for caring about these issues and being different. Guess what, this is your responsibility. Why should you receive recognition when women don’t? This is why I absolutely hate it when I’m recognized at conferences for being one of like two or three males present. I don’t want the recognition and neither should you. Don’t advertise yourself as a “male feminist” in search of respect. You’re just going to come across as rude, fake, and completely disrespectful. Do the work with humility and modesty.
the whole blog post is him attempting to seek validation :facepalm:

Often times, men who have close relationships with other men are seen as homosexual. That is completely messed up and demonstrates a perfect example of the institutionalized homophobia

:facepalm:

• While some men are made fun of for caring about women’s rights and feminism, there is very something alluring about being a male feminist (or so I hear). There aren’t many of us, therefore it may seem tempting to let this get to your head. Also, it may seem tempting to seek validation and verbal recognition from women and people you know for caring about these issues and being different. Guess what, this is your responsibility. Why should you receive recognition when women don’t? This is why I absolutely hate it when I’m recognized at conferences for being one of like two or three males present. I don’t want the recognition and neither should you. Don’t advertise yourself as a “male feminist” in search of respect. You’re just going to come across as rude, fake, and completely disrespectful. Do the work with humility and modesty.

This whole ally thing is if you ask me.

Totally. There's a gaping void where they're self-awareness ought to be.

To quote Paul Calf "I'm a radical feminist. You have to be these days if you want to get your end away..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom