Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOVELY BIT O' RASPBERRY JAM BACK THERE!

*BOKE*

honk006ronin.jpg

PS So what colour is the Boat Shed at 'Heerfud'?

Rather more squeamish than this gentleman:

Edward-Fox.jpg

all fair points, but then I like Desmond Bagley who pads his books with rewritten pages from text books on the finer points of West Indian or Iranian politics, corporate law, guns, boats, and cars in a very satisfying way.

Waylander!

thats the bloke with the repeating cossbow and the moniker straight out of the 80s. Waylander, a man wronged, a man of mystery. All we know is his preternatural skill at arms and his repeating crossbow. Together with a ragged priest he will bring peace to a wounded land.

Prefer Druss the Legend, myself. A good, straightforward "eat my axe, Nadir scum"-type.

all fair points, but then I like Desmond Bagley who pads his books with rewritten pages from text books on the finer points of West Indian or Iranian politics, corporate law, guns, boats, and cars in a very satisfying way.

Would this be a time to mention that, when I'm after something as simple and brainless as possible, I also have a collection of Leo Kessler?

https://twitter.com/PennyRed/status/363370550321610752
I am often mocked for having gone to a private school, and yes, it's unfair. You know what else is unfair? Private schools. Suck it up.
Yeah. Suck it up losers.

Surely 'having a go' at someone just for being sent to a private school is a bit silly, some of them turn out alright, it's the role the rest of them play in perpetuating and reproducing that system once they leave that's the problem.

One day me and my mate Paula were coming back from a night out. As we approached Paulas house (where i might have been living at the time, cant remember when i moved in) we heard a noise like a cat. We turned around and it was a guy, we heard his voice across the street "DON'T WORRY! I'M NOT A RAPIST!" we both started running like fuck, and bolted up the hill to where paulas house was.

I'm now thinking that we had no reason to be scared and this guy was only trying to be a feminist ally. :(

No. Your experience as a women shows that my idea was a bad one and that I need to check my male privilege on this one, and apologise to you for mansplaining.

Although I'm not sure it's actually mansplaining cos I wasn't telling a woman how to be a feminist, I was telling a man how to be a better ally. Is that mansplaining? Anyway, I best check my privilege again just to be sure.

Next time I'll just shout out TRIGGER WARNING so that the woman is warned before I walk past her, with enough time for her to ask me to cross over the road if she would be triggered, which I'd do cos I'm a great ally.

(Lol, I can't believe someone actually shouted that, I'd run too)

Conor Oberst's 'punk' band, the somewhat tastelessly named Desaparecidos, has done a tribute tune to Camila Vallejo. Good for the first 10 secs then he starts. Corny reductionist twaddle. A little bit cornunism if you will.

Why hasn't Amanda Palmer, Billy Bragg or any of them two bob NY chancers done one about Laura and Molly yet? It's not fair.

Conor Oberst's 'punk' band, the somewhat tastelessly named Desaparecidos, has done a tribute tune to Camila Vallejo. Good for the first 10 secs then he starts. Corny reductionist twaddle. A little bit cornunism if you will.

Why hasn't Amanda Palmer, Billy Bragg or any of them two bob NY chancers done one about Laura and Molly yet? It's not fair.

jesus.

Ouch.

44 views, eh?

Laurie Penny ‏@PennyRed
I got to private school on a scholarship. But giving a few of places to clever kids from less well off homes doesn't make the system fair.

Unrelated, some shit from that nasty coward Old Holborn.

Oldholborn ‏@devilholborn
Is it me or does anybody else think @PennyRed just needs some cock.

He's not the first and he won't be the last. It's one thing she's right about; that sort of crap is endemic

that is exceedingly mild compared to some of the stuff being thrown about. I've got much worse

anyone still doubting the level of abuse aimed at women can look at Caroline Criado-Perez's twitter feed and some of the stuff she is retweeing that has been sent to her. it's not just that it's abuse, it's how gendered that abuse is.

that is exceedingly mild compared to some of the stuff being thrown about. I've got much worse

anyone still doubting the level of abuse aimed at women can look at Caroline Criado-Perez's twitter feed and some of the stuff she is retweeing that has been sent to her. it's not just that it's abuse, it's how gendered that abuse is.

Unfortunately, you're absolutely correct.

The only part of your post I might take issue with is the idea that there's anyone here, apart from a few brain-dead trolls, who does still doubt the level of abuse aimed at women :(

last time I discussed that, on this thread, the idea that Laurie had daily threats of rape was doubted.

she is a pita, throws accusation about anyone who disagrees with her, but if she's not getting daily rape threats, then she is probably the only woman with a prominent feminist profile that isn't getting that level of abuse.

Unfortunately, you're absolutely correct.

The only part of your post I might take issue with is the idea that there's anyone here, apart from a few brain-dead trolls, who does still doubt the level of abuse aimed at women :(

Falsely accusing people of misogyny, racism and (the worst of the lot especially considering the circumstances) rape apologism, is pretty bad too. Pretty bad.

Reactions: Sue
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom