Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really want to get involved with this argument at all, but what I don't get is why he couldn't have just said that when tufty asked him? I had no idea what he meant by it, and he only replied with some cryptic nonsense before ignoring further attempts to get him to explain himself from tufty and Andy. This thread may have gone better for the last few pages if he had. Makes me wonder if he was even sure what he meant at the time.
I had the dinner on.

on a positive note,the impact of firky-and-friends's behaviour has now had me referred to a social worker, a prote4ction officer, and classed as a 'vulnerable adult' by officialdome again :)

thanks - i've been trying to get that bit of life sorted for a while :)

(it's ok, i obviously brought ALL of this on myself as well)
What the fuck, has he been up to?

I don't really want to get involved with this argument at all, but what I don't get is why he couldn't have just said that when tufty asked him? I had no idea what he meant by it, and he only replied with some cryptic nonsense before ignoring further attempts to get him to explain himself from tufty and Andy. This thread may have gone better for the last few pages if he had. Makes me wonder if he was even sure what he meant at the time.

Because sometimes we think the ideas in our own heads are obvious to everybody. It's not a fucking mystery.

Why assume misogyny? I would never assume misogyny from a left-wing man unless I had good evidence. I would certainly never base such an accusation on a few hastily posted words on urban and equate it to someone threatening sexual violence.

Because sometimes we think the ideas in our own heads are obvious to everybody. It's not a fucking mystery.

Why assume misogyny? I would never assume misogyny from a left-wing man unless I had good evidence. I would certainly never base such an accusation on a few hastily posted words on urban and equate it to someone threatening sexual violence.

I didn't assume anything, which was why I chose to stay out of it until now, it bugged me that he ignored people asking him to explain what he meant.

You're right about thinking our ideas are as clear to everyone else as they are to us. But someone asking what do you mean by that is usually a bit of a tip off they they aren't.

Yeah you can get 'tunnel vision' when caught up in an argument with one person.
And when you're trying not to fuck up the dinner.

I mean, this stuff ffs. I'll make all sorts of allowances for people who are upset but this is off the scale. It's a pretty clear indication that engaging with this person will only succeed in dragging the thread further into la la land.
it means we need to be good girls and shut up, while the men get on with fixing the world. the attitudes behind it aren't very different to someone telling me to shut my mouth or they will fill it with their cock. it's still telling women to know their place.

one of my favourite lyrics :) /jc3
actually, 'i was in guns and noses' might be a contender too.
and for copliker, 'i survived the dinner, then the air went thinner'.

all in the one glorious song that was playing (first time i'd heard it) when i got arrested earlier this year. life is proper funny weird and funny ha-ha at the same time, sometimes :D

There are some extreme double standards here. One poster sends an actual cartoon of Laurie Penny being violently assaulted - to Laurie Penny - nothing happens. Another makes a slightly badly judged comment but with no dodgy intent and he's vilified.

This place is going to shit.

I have noticed there can be a huge fuss on urban for something that would be nothing at all in the outside world but perversely something that would be seen as out of order in the outside world can be seen as ok inside urban.

An example is what some on here have said about the Catholic church, yet if there is only a suggestion [and a suggestion only in somebodies mind] on other topics about something that would be nothing in the outside world then all hell breaks loose.

It just shows that there is a clique on urban that if their prejudices are not pandered too or they are challenged then watch out, yet within the confines of urban that very clique seem to be able to say what they like about anything.

If urban is a private club for only like minded posters with a very narrow outlook then fine, but it should be advertised as such.

An example is what some on here have said about the Catholic church,.
can you be a bit more specific? else i'm assuming that what was said is that they're all jolly nice people, but the tea and biscuits at communion are shit.

Maybe it does. Was it on a stick? Would the witness say that it was in any way an approximation of a phallus?
:D

fwiw, i was wondering what you were having for dinner as well, copliker. i was hoping it was going to be a proper sunday roast so i could eat it vicarously.
yorkshire pudding, peas and gravy for me. with porridge for pudding (just checked my freezer/cupboards and have run out of 'inventive')

Sausages on sunday? You mad?

oops, ableism?

Just reminded me that I have loads of celery ta

Fish fingers? Chicken drumsticks?

And some of these for afters

fingers_1795179i.jpg

And some of these for afters
First day at school, my mam gave me a box of chocolate fingers to share with the class. I'd never had them before I scoffed the lot and got sick. Valuable lesson learned. At least I didn't shit my pants and cry like my best mate. Back then, teachers smoked in the class and an array of sticks and straps.

I have noticed there can be a huge fuss on urban for something that would be nothing at all in the outside world but perversely something that would be seen as out of order in the outside world can be seen as ok inside urban.

An example is what some on here have said about the Catholic church, yet if there is only a suggestion [and a suggestion only in somebodies mind] on other topics about something that would be nothing in the outside world then all hell breaks loose.

It just shows that there is a clique on urban that if their prejudices are not pandered too or they are challenged then watch out, yet within the confines of urban that very clique seem to be able to say what they like about anything.

If urban is a private club for only like minded posters with a very narrow outlook then fine, but it should be advertised as such.

Fuck off you racist welsh Tory twat.

so the main problem seems to have started with me using a phrase that is now on a list to be disproved of, cause someone else used that 9 months ago.

can someone give me the complete list now.....

:D

fwiw, i was wondering what you were having for dinner as well, copliker. i was hoping it was going to be a proper sunday roast so i could eat it vicarously.
yorkshire pudding, peas and gravy for me. with porridge for pudding (just checked my freezer/cupboards and have run out of 'inventive')

If it helps, I'm having proper home made roast beef with all the trimmings today, you know its the good shit cos I'm.having it at my mum's and my dad's cooking it so It's a little bit feminism :cool:

PS: vienetta for pudding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom