Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
he's not getting banned, just smeared. Obviously I would say that as he's my best mate and we have shared so many pints and fistbumps

There are some extreme double standards here. One poster sends an actual cartoon of Laurie Penny being violently assaulted - to Laurie Penny - nothing happens. Another makes a slightly badly judged comment but with no dodgy intent and he's vilified.

This place is going to shit.

One poster sends an actual cartoon of Laurie Penny being violently assaulted - nothing happens.

A stupid fucking cartoon that ended up bringing this thread to Laurie's attention, and her posting here objecting to it (quite rightly too) and this thread then becoming a million fucking pages long and a total car-crash that'll never leave the front page of the forum, a discussion where any hope that we could look at Penny's work critically and maturely without it descending into a farce is gone

Trolls trolling trolls winding up cranks, it's fucking mindboggling, I've seen some weird shit on the internet but this is SomethingAwful levels of drama and bullshit.

A stupid fucking cartoon that ended up bringing this thread to Laurie's attention, and her posting here objecting to it (quite rightly too) and this thread then becoming a million fucking pages long and a total car-crash that'll never leave the front page of the forum, a discussion where any hope that we could look at Penny's work critically and maturely without it descending into a farce is gone

Trolls trolling trolls winding up cranks, it's fucking mindboggling, I've seen some weird shit on the internet but this is SomethingAwful levels of drama and bullshit.

But that poster is the king of the feminist allies so he gets a free pass.

At the time I dismissed Laurie's complaints about that but I was wrong to and I don't mind admitting I'm ashamed of that.

But that poster is the king of the feminist allies so he gets a free pass.

At the time I dismissed Laurie's complaints about that but I was wrong to and I don't mind admitting I'm ashamed of that.

Don't get me wrong, I've doubted other feminists in the past about the level of abuse they'd experienced, before getting directed to one feminist's blog and seeing for myself the graphic rape threats she got for a post that wasn't exactly controversial.

Sadly, there are cunts everywhere :(

Misogynist whataboutery as a direct attack on a simple claim of what happens to women when they say something. Start there.
There was no misogynist whataboutery and no attack on any claim of what happens to women when they say something. You are simply making this up. It's extraordinary. I guarantee I've written a fuckload more than you about this and all.
He seems remarkably fucking reticent when it comes to addressing the exact meaning. And remarkably abusive when enquiries take place.
Lies. And remarkably abusive? Really? :D

copliker's no misogynist im sorry im disgusted by whats going on here and very very confused by the frankly bizarre moderating decisions recently.

if he gets banned i am out of here.

sorry.
I was off anyway, cos of normal stuff, like i said yesterday, but oh noes now it'll look like a flounce. :mad::D

She says British Left. I'm (state school) Irish so anyone, (especially private schoolboys, that most notorious shower of cunts) who criticises me is most likely a racist. Privilege theory yo.
If only we had some kind of point scoring system to decide who wins in a death match of the isms :(

Apologies from FM and toggle for their disgusting lies aren't going to happen so who better to get the thread back on track than...

There are some extreme double standards here. One poster sends an actual cartoon of Laurie Penny being violently assaulted - to Laurie Penny - nothing happens.

You're kidding? Is that right? The same poster who then accused the mods of deleting posts made by Blagsta when it couldn't actually be found that he'd said what he was accused of sent a cartoon of Laurie Penny being violently assaulted to Laurie Penny? And he hasn't been banned?

Wow.

You're kidding? Is that right? The same poster who then accused the mods of deleting posts made by Blagsta when it couldn't actually be found that he'd said what he was accused of sent a cartoon of Laurie Penny being violently assaulted to Laurie Penny? And he hasn't been banned?

Wow.

there's at least 20 other people wondering exactly like that (why he's still here), and being ignored.

i dunno, i reckon editor's selling the rights to this thread to the torygraph as we speak, in the name of fairness and not being at all interested in the number of page views it gets.

he doesn't really help with *this*:

on a positive note,the impact of firky-and-friends's behaviour has now had me referred to a social worker, a prote4ction officer, and classed as a 'vulnerable adult' by officialdome again :)

thanks - i've been trying to get that bit of life sorted for a while :)

(it's ok, i obviously brought ALL of this on myself as well)

No. He means Laurie Penny has to stop using the head above the parapet imagery, because it smacks of some false solidarity, not that he believes women do not experience speaking out as raising our heads above the parapet. Am I right copliker?

I don't really want to get involved with this argument at all, but what I don't get is why he couldn't have just said that when tufty asked him? I had no idea what he meant by it, and he only replied with some cryptic nonsense before ignoring further attempts to get him to explain himself from tufty and Andy. This thread may have gone better for the last few pages if he had. Makes me wonder if he was even sure what he meant at the time.

Eta: Sorry my post shifted a bit as I was typing it so your post may not have been the best one to quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom